FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Quote from: Opa George on November 20, 2019, 09:02:21 AM
Quote from: cuse on November 20, 2019, 06:09:59 AM
Really great work. The hay effect is perfect!

John

Thanks, John. As Mark notes, the concrete work below is now hidden.  :(   My original plan was for most of the hay to be piled up near the sides (a lot of vintage pics of the interiors of livery stables showed that) with the middle of the concrete pad showing through.  But I got a little "hay fever" and a bit too much!  Oh, well, I do like it this way, too.
--George

Excuse me all -- replace all references to "hay" with "straw."  That's my city-boy culture fouling me up on matters of keeping livestock.  ;)

ReadingBob

It looks perfect George!   :D  :D  :D

The stable hands must have just cleaned up the place else there'd be some....err... exhaust piles mixed in with the hay...err.... straw.   ;D  ;D  ;D  Maybe you can add some scent to the scene to really bring it to life.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

deemery

What's the old saying, "You can get more for hay before it's passed through the horse."??

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Opa George

Sage observations, Bob and Dave!

I finally got the tarps on.  Took as long as a 1:1 job, but in the end, I like the look.  I still need a ladder so the stable hands can get up and at the tarps.

George

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

Lots of eye candy there!

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Thanks for looking in, Curt, Bob and Mark. I appreciate your support.  As part of the overall kit, this structure is deceptively under-emphasized in the instructions. It is the last "simple" structure before tackling the more complicated machine shops, or the featured enamel works with its multiple stories and tower,  but I have had a great time with it and I think it's been my most enjoyable part so far.

Still more details to add.  Although I appreciate suggestions, I am going to pass on Bob's idea of adding scent! ;)

Speaking of which, who remembers the line of model railroad scents marketed back in the 70s or early 80s?  I sniffed around the internet and found the product: it was "Olfactory Airs" by Mikros Corp. They advertised in MR.

George

rpdylan

Great work on the framing of the stall! the weathering looks great, love the signs and the other detail work here. I'm following along closely as I've yet to start my kit
Bob C.

JimF

Love the tarps, George. Neat detail

And yes, I remember Olfactory Airs. A layout I visited back then had coal scent around the coaling tower, and the owner was planning on getting a few more. Never made it back to find out which ones.

Jim

postalkarl

Hey George:

Looks just beautiful.

Karl

Bruce Oberleitner

Opa George,
As far as I am concerned you've already won the Blue ribbon with this model.  Fantastic job!

;D ;D ;D

Opa George

Thanks so much for the kind comments, Bob, Jim, Karl and Bruce.
I'm calling the livery building done and will move on to the machine shops.  Below are some "final" pics of this structure, although I know I'll find a few more things to tweak or add.  I added the ladder, a rain gutter and downspout, outside lamps, and some etc. 

The outside horse stall.

And the back side. The long blank wall will butt up against an adjoining structure, and therefore has no detailing. The outhouse is a rusty rails casting, and the small barrel and junk casting next to the back door porch is one of the FSM detail castings now being produced by Railroad Kits.  I picked up the barrels/drums assortment in Timonium from them, and this is from that collection.  Really nice detailed castings.

--George

PRR Modeler

WOW George, you did a beautiful job.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Zephyrus52246

What a beautiful little structure.  The wood, hay, tarp...everything looks great.

Jeff