Foscale Rohlen Welding build

Started by nycjeff, August 06, 2020, 12:27:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nycjeff

Thanks to all for your comments. I think that this is kind of a unique kit with all the different materials. Doug at FOS did a good job with this one. I'm surprised that there have not been more build threads of this kit. It's not really that expensive and you get a lot for your money with this one.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona
modeling the New York Central in rural Ohio in the late 1940's

nycjeff

Thank you guys for the kind words. I had a lot of fun with this kit.

I started the roofs with the two lower shingled areas. The kit supplied shingles went on nicely using glue. I sprayed the kit supplied roll-roofing paper withy rattle can camo with the green tint and cut it into the recommended strips and glued those on as well. I applied some weathering with pastel chalks. As you can see, I then started the corrugated panels.

Jumping ahead, I finished the corrugated panels and applied some of the detail castings. The sign in the upper gable area is a nice touch. I painted it with a red craft paint and used the supplied wire to help mount it to the wall. I glued the building and the front sidewalk to a thin styrene sheet base painted brown with woodland scenics ground foam products for scenery.

The coal bin was assembled per the instructions and a small piece of foam was cut to fit, painted black and then black ballast was added. Another nice feature of the kit.

rear wall view

The detail castings supplied are a nice addition and several others came from my detail stash.

I took several pictures outside in the sunlight for a different look

Overall, I had a good time with this kit and definitely recommend it to anyone looking for an interesting looking addition to their layout. I have placed it on my layout and will send some pics along with my other FOS kits next time. Thank you to all who have shown an interest in this build.
Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

PRR Modeler

Very nicely done Jeff. It will be a great addition to your layout.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

Very nicely done. Thanks for the pics.

Karl

Opa George

Hi Jeff,

Really nice job on that kit.  It is certainly an attractive kit--one I may go for one day--and you nailed it.
The outside pics really show it off to its best and highlight your work.
--Opa George

WigWag Workshop

Great looking build!  I appreciate the pictures and descriptions of your entire process.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

nycjeff

Thank you Curt, Karl, George and Steven for the kind words. I will close out this build thread with a couple of pictures of Rohlen Welding in it's new home on my layout. I have to blend the scenery in , but this is where the kit will live. Also a couple of pictures of my other FOS builds- yard tower one and yard office one. I definitely recommend FOS kits to anyone interested in wood craftsman kits, they are affordable, well designed,interesting looking and go together well when following the well done instructions.

Jeff Firestone
Morristown, Arizona

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision