Bar Mills Bud Smiley's Gas Stop.

Started by Oldguy, May 18, 2020, 11:15:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

With the Saw Pit Store dirt drying (I seem to spend a lot of tie waiting for stuf to dry) I started my next needed structure - a small gas station.  The Woodland Scenics metal gas station wasn't an option at this point and JL Innovative Brownies Northside Service was a bit big.  So Bar Mills it is.  That and since Postalkarl provided the inspiration, it is a no brainer.
So first up the box and contents.  Whoa.  Not a lot of strip wood, that could be a good sign.  Good looking laser cut parts, metal casting, plastic windows and doors.  You know, the usual suspects.  One thing that is different is the roofing.  Roller roofing with nail holes.  Hmmm.  Also included are a handful of very good looking signage.

First thing was to clean all the metal and plastic bits with files and LAs Awesome Cleaner before they got a bath in the ultrasonic cleaner.

Next up was checking the building sides for square.  And they were,  Just needed a little sanding to get rid of the attachment nubbins.  They do talk about bracing, I didn't see any that were included.  No biggie.  I dug out some 1/8x1/8 but noticed the close fit to door and window openings.  Hmmm.  Could be a problem down the road, but I'll glue it all up and check out the fit tomorrow.  Better to check and remediate at this stage than later.  I also added bracing on the other walls, even though the instructions didn't mention it.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

I got my popcorn and my front row seat.  I'm all set for the build Bob.   :)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

GPdemayo

Nice gas station Bob.....I'll be looking in too.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Bob,

I'll be following along also. This is one of my favorite structures on the F&SM. Karl S. built it for George although his was scratch built and Bar Mills did the kit.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Have a seat, keep the popcorn handy, as this could be a roller coaster.
All non-wood parts got a spritz of Tamiya gray primer.  The non-plastic parts got tacky glued on to sticks for painting.  I've had these wood sticks around for years, but just recently caught my attention and were put into service.  Once the primer dired enough, I test fit the windows and doors.  Just the front door and the small window openings needed to be enlarged.   I also trimmed the bracing by the small rear windows.

I have been given some thought on this kit an decided it will be the Shell Gas option.  So I did some online searching for vintage Shell Gas Stations, which then led me to a red and yellow paint scheme.  I was originally wanted to use chalks or weathering powders, but have since decided to use acrylic paint applied with a sponge.
While waiting for paint to dry, I looked for quick little projects. The first was the gas island and the second was the roof.  Admittedly, as the instructions point out, a very important aspect of the kit.  I was a little confused on adding the wood part to the underside of the roof.  I figured it was used as a locator for the office as Blair Line has done that.  So I took a lot of care to line up since it has an adhesive backing.  It was a lot easier to add it at this stage since nothing has been located on the top side.

So, on to the formers that give the slope to the roof.  Hmmm, the roof slopes front to back,so why does it appear to be backward?  The wood piece goes with the office.  Right?  Wrong, you blooming idiot.  If you had just turned the page, they add this piece after all the roof has been completed (?) and it will be over the drive way, not the office.  So this piece is a stiffener for the cardboard canopy area?.  The instructions further state that this piece really isn't needed and not quite sure why they have it.  Great.  Just great.  Oh well. No harm.  No foul.  I can hide it with a fancy canopy.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looks just great so fa.

Karl

tom.boyd.125

Bob,
Time to check this gem out. Will follow along.
Always liked that kit.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

Oldguy

Still working on the roof.  I decided to remove the unneeded wood piece.  The cardboard is worse for the wear, but not all that noticeable. 

Then comes the front and side pieces.  The instructions are very clear that the two side pieces are asymmetrical.  These pieces consist of three parts, so it was necessary to find what parts go which way.  The two thick wood pieces are identical.  As are the signs.  But the side overlays are indeed different.  Each being offset from the other.  Why they and they alone?  Not a clue.  This means that something is going to have to be altered.  The only real option is to shorten each overlay as needed.  And as this part has an adhesive back, so it could get interesting.

Next was figuring out what yellow to use.  For this I have a A&I soaked piece of siding that I slowly add paint colors.  My first choice was Medium Yellow, but it barely registers (lower right hand corner).  The other choices was Americana Yellow and Cadmium Yellow.  The Yellow won out.  It still will take at least two coats.  I wanted this to look more recently painted and the back side (two small windows) has the two coats.  Windows and doors got the Yellow, not very well, bu got painted.  The frames will be red.  This will be colorful.  At least until it gets dusted.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

WigWag Workshop

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Opa George

Bob, I'm following, too.  I just built Bar Mills Gas Station at Shady Grove, which I think is a budget downsized version of this kit.  It turned out nice with few problems.  I think I accidentally used the backstop for the overhang as the front step for the office, but no biggie.

Good progress so far.
--Opa George

Oldguy

I need to find the local Idiots anonymous chapter.   What a putz.

So, I was agonizing how to fix my perceived issue with the roof details.  If I cut this here and that there, maybe it wouldn't show, blah, blah, blah.  All I had to do was take a real serious look at the provided diagram and all would have been revealed.  The side pieces but up against the front piece, causing the offset and asymmetry.  Dummy.  This was all revealed while I was putting the detail pieces together, thinking that perhaps, the solution would present itself.  I started by adding the sign overlays.  You have just one chance of getting it right.  There is enough extra material that required trimming using a fresh razor blade.

Once the front piece and side pieces are glued on, I took a look as to the trim piece that is offset.  I took great pains to label each side piece, but it was unnecessary as they only fit one way.  At this point I painted the white roofing material black, and will install tomorrow.  The installation of the side and front pieces was greatly improved by the removal of the unneeded wood stiffener. 

I managed to get the building and bits painted.  I really wanted only the trim painted red with everything else yellow.  I'm just not steady enough to pull it off successfully.  So everything was repainted red.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

As can be seen on the first page of the instructions I had A little something to do with this kit. I scratch built it from A postcard. My original model is on the Franklin & South Manchester RR.

Karl

Oldguy

Quote from: postalkarl on May 22, 2020, 01:00:54 PM
Hey Bob:

As can be seen on the first page of the instructions I had A little something to do with this kit. I scratch built it from A postcard. My original model is on the Franklin & South Manchester RR.

Karl
You had mentioned this in another post.  One reason why I pulled the trigger on this kit.  And a proper place for your work.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond