Arizona Rock and Mineral Co. - Concrete Paving Material

Started by ReadingBob, October 11, 2014, 04:08:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

I found this Concrete Paving material at the LHS last week and thought I'd experiment with it.  I thought it might be something to use in lieu of joint compound for making concrete streets on my dioramas.

The mixing instructions are simple.  Mix a 50/50 mix of white glue with water and then add the concrete paving material a little at a time until it's about the thickness of toothpaste.  I marked a plastic bathroom cup with a Sharpie and used that to measure equal parts white glue and water.

I started adding the concrete paving material to my glue/water mix and stirring.  I kept adding more and more and more (I had mixed way too much water and glue for the little area I wanted to cover  ::) ) until the mix thickened up.

This next step wasn't in the instructions but it's something I do when I'm paving a street with joint compound and certainly can't hurt here.  I spread a thin layer of white glue over the surface to be paved with my finger.  Just to give it a little 'bite'.

More in a moment....

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

My mix was maybe still a little thin but I started spreading it on the base with an artist spatula.

When I was finished it looked like this so I set it aside to dry over night.

After it dried I made marks 10 scale feet apart and used a dull X-Acto knife an steel square to scribe expansion joints across the street.  Here's what it looked like when I was finished.

Note:  You don't need to use a dull knife.  By the time you're finished scribing lines it'll be dull though.

I haven't done anything else to my 'street' at this point.  I'll try weathering it with some powders and I'll scribe in a crack or two as well.  I took it down to Tom's today to let my esteemed panel of judges render an opinion on it and the verdict was mixed.  They can post their opinions here if they'd like.  The general opinion was that the color was a little too brown.  If that can be corrected with weathering powders I may use this on my Fox Run Milling build.   :D

I also saw an Asphalt Paving Mix at the LHS and plan on picking up a bag of that at some point.  If I do I'll experiment with it and post the results here.

Anyone else who uses this material please feel free to post your thoughts, tips, techniques, etc.!

Thanks!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Bob brought the road down to show us this morning and it looked fantastic. I'll be going to the LHS to get some of both.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

It looks great up close, nice texture.....good find Bob.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

gnatshop

Since I'm out here in Hicksville, I'm gonna order some of both on-line!!!
Thanks, Bob!!!  ;D ;D ;D