Ideas for improvements

Started by Janbouli, December 17, 2013, 07:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Janbouli

Robert Maybe you've already thought of this  but my Dutch forum uses SMF as well so maybe you can use some tips. Here's one from me.

You can add a button at the bottom of a page that takes you to the Top with one click, very useful on long pages.

I love photo's, don't we all.

gnatshop

Great idea, Jan! ;D ;D ;D
Keep those hints and tips coming!

Another idea would be for a "Help using the forum" thread!
I know it's new to everyone, but if someone could take the time to add some down-to-earth instructions on how to use it's features, it should help pick up the posting rates!

And we want that to help it grow!!!  ;D ;D ;D

GPdemayo

Can anything be done to increase the size of each picture (128k) and the size of the total (192k) in each post?

Limiting the 4 photos to 48k each leaves us with very small pictures that don't look to good, even when "click to enlarge".

Also, I can't figure out how to place the photos in the post in amongst the verbiage, they always wind up at the bottom of the post.

Thanks!
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: GPdemayo on December 19, 2013, 09:57:24 AM
Can anything be done to increase the size of each picture (128k) and the size of the total (192k) in each post?

Limiting the 4 photos to 48k each leaves us with very small pictures that don't look to good, even when "click to enlarge".

Also, I can't figure out how to place the photos in the post in amongst the verbiage, they always wind up at the bottom of the post.

Thanks!

Really good suggestion. When posting a step by step how-to type message it's almost essential to be able to reference a photo in-line with the text.

-slim

Doug Fos

Good idea Greg, we'll look into it. We're still figuring out his forum tech stuff but learning as we go.

Doug

GPdemayo

Thanks, Slim & Doug...

I'm sure y'all have your hands full getting this new forum off the ground and I am looking forward to how this evolves in the future.
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Slim Jerkins

Don't thank me Greg - I don't gots nuttin' to do with this - except for the little lighting section that I'll moderate. I'm pretty sure this is all Doug and Robert's baby.

I sent Doug or Robert (I forget which) a PM asking for the same thing. Having all the images at the bottom breaks up the "flow" of the post in a nasty way IMO.

-slim

GPdemayo

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on December 19, 2013, 04:08:29 PM
Don't thank me Greg - I don't gots nuttin' to do with this - except for the little lighting section that I'll moderate. I'm pretty sure this is all Doug and Robert's baby.

I sent Doug or Robert (I forget which) a PM asking for the same thing. Having all the images at the bottom breaks up the "flow" of the post in a nasty way IMO.

-slim

Slim:

Doug and Robert are going to have a fun time with all the miscreants moving over to this forum, but I'm sure they are up to the challenge!

I've seen your lighting thread and will be following along as I will be starting JimmyD's station after the holidays.

I really like my buildings lit up, especially the commercial structures with all their exterior lights. ReadingBob has brought down some of his builds with your lighting and they look great. Can't wait to start lighting them up!
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

bilas68

I thought it would be nice to have "Karma" thing on thread base. Very often we see a lot of "Good job"s, "Great job"s posts and then corresponding "Thank you"s which many see as clutter. At the same time such posts provide feedback without which thread originator may thing he or she is wasting time and stop posting. A couple of buttons like "Thumb up" and "Thumb down" would possibly involve more members who usually are too lazy to post anything, provide necessary feedback and reduce clutter.

Vilius

MASSIVERALPH

Rail.BIrd

Okay, back to a serious suggestion.

Move the rules and guidelines to the top of the forum, consolidate the rules,  guidelines and posting "howtos" into one or two "sticky" posts at the top of the the section.

BTW.  I am glad someone is starting a forum with this format.  I also fly RC planes and like the RCGroups format.  This forum is the closest I've seen that has any activity.  Hope it continues to grow.

Dwayne

Perhaps a 'testing area' / sandbox forum just for 'test posts' is used on a lot of forums for members to learn how to implement the various arcane ways of photo posting, signature appearance etc etc.

I don't use flickr, dropbox, etc etc so being able to upload directly as an option would be nice.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Dwayne on December 27, 2013, 07:52:32 AM
Perhaps a 'testing area' / sandbox forum just for 'test posts' is used on a lot of forums for members to learn how to implement the various arcane ways of photo posting, signature appearance etc etc.

I don't use flickr, dropbox, etc etc so being able to upload directly as an option would be nice.
Uploading photos here is quite easy compared to forums elsewhere.

Just follow the steps below in the "Attachments and other options" section.

Jaime

gnatshop

I've had the same problem a number of times!
When I'm posting a reply and click 'Preview', the preview screen
comes up saying 'reviewing preview' and stays there for a long period!
I could understand this if it was one of my tacky-*ss comments, but it's nice comments!

Maybe I'm just flagged as a trouble-maker!!! :o :o :o

Janbouli

Why preview it , post it and if there's something wrong just modify it.
I love photo's, don't we all.