Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on September 19, 2020, 02:09:03 PM
Beautiful job John...Dennis
Question my friend. John, I know you use glue for your track and roadbed and ballast. Can you tell me what strength for the each of them please? Thanks Dennis

Dennis

Thank you for the kind words. As for glue that I use for my track work.  Use good old Elmer's white glue for the roadbed and the track full strength. The beauty of Elmer's white glue is that is water soluble so if you decide to change anything you just get the area wet and the track and roadbed come right up.  For ballast I use Matte Medium - I get mine from scenic express.  I buy the concentrate and mix it for different purposes.  My ballast solution is 4:1 water:concentrate. I use Matte Medium because it dries with more of a flat finish than white glue.

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

T.C.

Shingle question ?
You do so much it's hard to keep up and I may have missed it. lol
May I ask, how did you get the color on the shingles?Thanks T.C.

S&S RR

Quote from: T.C. on September 20, 2020, 08:45:10 AM
Shingle question ?
You do so much it's hard to keep up and I may have missed it. lol
May I ask, how did you get the color on the shingles?Thanks T.C.

T.C.

Thank you for following along - sometimes it doesn't seem like I'm getting much done.

The singles that I'm using on G. Wilikers are a printed paper that is available from Wild West Models.  I will be enhancing the coloring with weathering soft pastel chalks as one of the final steps of the build. If you dig back through my build threads I have used these singles in different colors on a number of builds. Here is a link to their website.  They have the singles available in many different colors.

https://www.wildwestmodels.com
John Siekirk

T.C.

Thank you, I remember seeing it now.This getting old isn't what they advertised, I forget..... :-\ .......what was I going to say? ???

Thanks, love your build !

T.C.

S&S RR

The siding is on the Whispering Falls build - working on the upper gabble ends and the interior lofts now.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

The cleanup crew needs to sweep the barn out - lots of construction scrap laying around.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Beautiful job on this one so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on September 21, 2020, 05:49:32 PM
Hey John:

Beautiful job on this one so far. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Karl

Thank you my friend. I spent a lot of time looking at the stone walls while I was putting the siding on. I found a few air bubbles so I went after them with the #11.  I will have some touchup to do when everything is together.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I got started on the loft assembly this afternoon.  For those that are following along with the thread as a build thread for Whispering Falls.  I changed the beam orientation. The beams on the directions and with the templates are 6x8 but the narrow dimension is supporting the weight.  Too much time in Engineering school for me, I had to change it so the 8 inch dimension is supporting the weight in the upper loft, when I redrew the template drawings.  The template that Dario supplies with the kit had to be modified to correct for the change.  The holes had to me cut with the long dimension rotated 90 degrees.  No big deal but it made me feel better. ;)  Here is a picture with the walls held in place with the template and squares. I was cutting the boards for the deck when the boss told me it was time to quit for the night.

John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

Love that post and beam construction!  (Reminds me of my 1:1 barn.)
Jerry

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on September 22, 2020, 08:35:58 AM
John,

Love that post and beam construction!  (Reminds me of my 1:1 barn.)

Jerry

Great to hear that we are matching a prototype.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on September 22, 2020, 09:23:27 AM
Great modeling John.

Curt

Thank you for the encouraging words. I'm really having fun with these projects.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: The siding is on the upper level of the gable ends of the barn. Also, added the longer side of the loft.  The short side loft is glued together and will go in after the glue dries. Here are a few pictures.

John Siekirk