JL Innovative Design Sawpit Store

Started by Oldguy, May 04, 2020, 11:19:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

This little kit has been staring me in the face for the past several months and time to scratch the itch.  That and with a new knee now scheduled for the end of the month, I'll need something fairly straight forward.
Single sheet of instructions with illustrations on the back.  Die cut opening guidelines, but final cut is on me.  Tape on the backside is an absolute must.  A small handful of color coded strip wood. plastic and metal parts.
Interesting rolled paper roofing and a ton of signs.

Come to find out that Sawpit exists in Colorado.  At one time it was a whistle-stop on the RGS.  The original store is long gone, but there is a new version of it there today.  The owner has a wicked sense of humor if his Facebook sign postings are any measure.  The now offer bar b q where they do the porkin' and you do the forkin'.  Sooooo, it would make sense for my version to have a bar b q shack on the premise, especially set in the backwoods of Missouri.  The kit has a covered area on one side and some tulle that could make a nice little eating area.  Our local  burger joint has something similar.
The openings have been cut out and bracing added and let set over nite.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

madharry

I am looking forward to your build. I built this kit some 15 years ago and IOM it is a winner.
Mike :)

jerryrbeach

Bob,

I've almost purchased this kit a few times, not sure why I never followed through.  I'll be watching to see if I should rectify that mistake.
Jerry

Janbouli

Following along , built this in N-scale a long time ago.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ReadingBob

I'm in too Bob.  I've never built a JL Innovative Design kit.  I own a few.  I just never built one.  I'll be resolving that issue sometime in the coming months.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Quote from: madharry on May 05, 2020, 04:36:10 AM
I am looking forward to your build. I built this kit some 15 years ago and IOM it is a winner.
Mike :)
I hope I can do it justice.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: jerryrbeach on May 05, 2020, 06:05:25 AM

Bob,

I've almost purchased this kit a few times, not sure why I never followed through.  I'll be watching to see if I should rectify that mistake.
I hope I can keep the essence of the kit for you to decide.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: Janbouli on May 05, 2020, 06:22:24 AM
Following along , built this in N-scale a long time ago.
Glad to have tagging along
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: ReadingBob on May 05, 2020, 07:06:54 AM
I'm in too Bob.  I've never built a JL Innovative Design kit.  I own a few.  I just never built one.  I'll be resolving that issue sometime in the coming months.  ;)
They have a bunch of gas stations.   ;D   I've got three waiting.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Tom and Greg, I hope you enjoy the ride.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PaulS

Quote from: Oldguy on May 05, 2020, 09:10:54 PM

Hmmm, a ReadingBob gas station build, that sounds interesting !   ;)

And Bob, I'll be following along with your progress on the Sawpit Store as this has potential for many applications.  Looking forward to your rendition.
All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

Oldguy

Like I said, the markings and die cuts are faint, but usable.  And yes, the masking tape on the back side is needed.  This wood seems a lot harder than most.  These windows started as 4 over 4 but have some muntins removed to form a 2 over 1 double hung window.  Then trim the window trim to form a double window.  Hopefully some paint will aid in hiding the seam.
So here are most of the wall sections with openings cut out and bracing added.  The kit had some bracing, but I went a bit overboard.  I eventually added bracing on the garage.
The kit included two doors.  And they want the doors swapped out door frames so that the door with a glass panel would get a solid frame and the solid door gets the transom.  Okaaaay.  I looked through my parts stash and found some Grant Line 5072 doors with transom.  Wow, four doors for 75 cents.  And wouldn't you know it, I like it better than the enclosed units as it is almost a perfect match for the upper windows.

Now it was time for paint prep.  The wood got the AI treatment and the metal and plastic parts got to take a swim in the ultrasonic cleaner.
I'm still mulling over how to add Bubbas's Q smoke house.  Luckily, we have a couple close by that I can use for inspiration.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: PaulS on May 05, 2020, 09:20:01 PM
Quote from: Oldguy on May 05, 2020, 09:10:54 PM

Hmmm, a ReadingBob gas station build, that sounds interesting !   ;)

And Bob, I'll be following along with your progress on the Sawpit Store as this has potential for many applications.  Looking forward to your rendition.
All the best,
--Paul
Glad to have you following.  For those into gas stations, they have a ton of accessories.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond