Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on June 18, 2020, 03:37:41 PM
Hey John:

Looking just beautiful. WOW!!!! lots of beams to assemble.

Karl

Karl

Thank you my friend, it's going faster now that I have two sections of the building going and I stop trying to add just a couple more sticks before I let the glue dry.  Usually, if you try to add another stick you knock the last one out of location and have to start over.  That's why I always like to have three builds going at the same time. I think the beams are going to look good once I get them stained and weathered.  Doing it after assembly is usually not recommended but I have had good luck with it so far.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jerry

John here's Jimmy's new website.  Just got an email from him yesterday.

www.larkspurlaserart.com

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on June 18, 2020, 11:13:53 PM
John here's Jimmy's new website.  Just got an email from him yesterday.

www.larkspurlaserart.com

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the link.  I will be keeping an eye on his products and where he goes with this.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

I ran into a little problem a couple days ago when I started to make the clapboard walls sections for the upper portion of the Roundhouse. With three windows so close together I couldn't get the sections to hold together. I tried cutting them with my 90 degree corner punch, with a #11 exacto blade, and a single edge razor blade.  I tried tape on the back and gluing cardboard to the back and I still couldn't get them to stay together. I then tried making them with two windows, and it worked great. no issues with splitting. So I made a couple up and took a picture.  After sleeping on it, I came back in the workshop this morning and decided I didn't like the way they looked. Here is a picture.

Yes, the clapboard is upside down - it was late last night.  I didn't bother taking a picture when I turned them around. I just don't like the two windows.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

So I went to plan B. If you have built one of George Sellios' older kits you will remember that George cut the windows out with his table saw and strategically placed joint lines to make his clapboard walls. The days before lasers. I decided to give it a try and it worked great. I made one and glued it  together for a test. Here is a picture of it mounted on the roundhouse. It works great so I spent a couple hours making sawdust this morning and cut enough pieces for 15 front wall sections.

I'm not worrying about the yellow stains on the strip wood from the glue - it will all be covered by the stain and chalk that I will use to stain the wood. The Titebond III glue that I'm using now makes a great bond but it does stain the wood. If the final coloring process does not cover the stain you need to clean up the glue joints with a Q-Tip and some alcohol before the glue dries.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of my workbench after the morning at the table saw. I'm ready to go into production assembly mode.  One of the three window wall sections that I glued up after breaking it during the cutting is laying on the cutting pad.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Janbouli

You handled that great John , the 3 window version looks best , I do wonder if the 2 window version would have looked good had you divided them with a little more space in the middle.
I love photo's, don't we all.

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on June 20, 2020, 07:58:08 PM
Your doing a beautiful job John.....Dennis

Dennis

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words - I built up the front walls last night. Now for the back ones with 4 windows each. The paint booth is going to be busy soon.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Janbouli on June 21, 2020, 04:09:12 AM
You handled that great John , the 3 window version looks best , I do wonder if the 2 window version would have looked good had you divided them with a little more space in the middle.

Jan

Thank you for the encouragement and I think you are right about the  window version - longer windows would also help but I like the three window version best and we have a fabrication solution. I think we forget how much easier modeling is when you cut things out with a laser. A few years from now I have plans to build a large section of the layout with all scratch built prototypical buildings. I may start looking at laser options. I wonder if I can get fast enough with the CAD work to make it pay off - time wise.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

The end result looks great and I also think the 3 window version looks best.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on June 21, 2020, 08:21:35 AM
The end result looks great and I also think the 3 window version looks best.

Curt

Thank you for following along and the kind words. I'm gluing sticks together, today.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Third time's a charm!!  In this case perfect choice!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

deemery

The 'reason' why the 3 window setup looks so much better is that the whole idea of that clerestory is to let in more light into the roundhouse.  So a clerestory with less than "maximum windows' just looks strange. 

This is coming along great, I'm really enjoying the detailed build.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to