PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Judge

WOW!  Lots of progress in a short time.  Lookin' good! 

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Tom, James, Jeff and the Judge for following along and commenting.

James- I started out with the TT that was the "new" DCC one several years ago. I could never get it to program and keep it's memory (probably my fault) and after awhile moving the bridge manually (on the control box) it started having issues of only moving when it wanted to. Very frustrating. I was talking to a friend (Jon Shubert) about the issues and he had a older TT he wasn't using and probably never would so we traded bridges and control boxes. I have used the current one on 2 layouts and move the bridge via my finger on the control box. I am happy with this method. I figure it has to be DCC to work on a DCC layout but I may be wrong.

Jeff and Judge- It's easy to make progress when you work on it 2-3 hours a day almost every day. :)

Over the last 4-5 days I have been working on the first back corner and the 2 sides that connect with it. To do the plastering in the corner I had to climb up on the layout to reach it (about 5 ft.) No problem with the woodwork but hard on the knee's. I added the rock faces after painting this time around. I also added a siding going to the power plant for a coal dump. The unpainted square more to the left will be a power substation later on.

In the pictures on the flat section everything past the wood seam is new and on the incline everything past the long strip of stone seam on the left hand side is new. I'm stopped on the track work until the bushes come in and get mounted so that I'm not climbing on them, but still have plenty of planning still to go.

After looking at the pictures that I believe Tom posted of Howard Zayne's mountains I'm going to try his method with the bushes. Sunday I ordered 4 different colors that I will mix together before applying. I ordered them from Scenic Express which I generally prefer over WS. 
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Moving right along!  Looks great!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Dennis Bourey

Curt, How did you make the incline behind the rocks? Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you to Jerry and Dennis for following and commenting.

Dennis- I am using Woodland Scenics 2% Risers. In 16 ft. I have a 4 inch height. I've used 3% before but wanted less angle this time. Then I use cardboard strips and plaster cloth to build around it. I'm not much of a carpenter so this is what I have used for 2 layouts.

It's been awhile. I was sick for 3-4 days and the scenery so far has taken 3 days. It is very slow and tedious and there is a lot of it to do behind the elevated track.

In the curved back corner I'm not sure if I will fill the slope with trees or bushes like the side. Trees would be easier. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

The photos start behind the RH and run about 20 ft. I'm waiting on clump foliage in the mail to finish the RH side of the back drop. Probably no modeling this weekend due to family commitments.
Curt Webb

ReadingBob

It starting to look like Pennsylvania to me and I've been there time or two before.   ;D 

Hope you're over what ever it was that ailed you Curt.  Glad to see you're back at it!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Dennis Bourey

Well Curt, You are doing a beautiful job!!!!!Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

jbvb

Both the upper and lower main lines are sceniced like they're on the slope of a fairly tight river valley.  If you have room in front of them at the corner, you might want to show some of the river there, like it was a wide spot in the valley.
James

S&S RR

Curt

Looks great! It looks better with every layer of detail.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Coming along very nicely. Can't wait to see what you do with structures on this RR.  Also just went through all the pictures to refresh my memory. Turntable area will look great when it it finished.

Karl

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Judge

Ciurt - I found this while surfing on the Web.  Thought you might enjoy it. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NmtvA0yJyTU&t=12s

Good progress on the layout. 

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Bob, Judge, Dennis, James, John, Karl, and Greg for following along and commenting.

Judge- Thanks for the video :)

James- Interesting idea about the river. I will see if I can make it work with the current plan.

I have been "planting" bushes for several days and I'm glad that I'm done with that for at least a little bit. I did finish the upper left side. It took around 9 bags of break apart clump foliage to do what is mounted so far. I figure I'll need around 12 more bags before I'm done with the back and right side. I have 3 on hand.

I also got some more "rock" faces for my future progress. I now have the track mounted, powered, and tested around the back right corner. I'm going to try something different than a slope in the right back corner...more to follow. Tomorrow I will probably prep the rock faces for mounting.
Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Since the last post I have mounted 2 rockfaces that are 30" x 3.5" and a rockface that is 24" x 7" (on the right hand back curve). I also "planted" bushes until I ran out today (more on order). I still need to place tiny bushes along the track to fair in the larger ones.

I also realized today I forgot to reorder the PSX-AR that I pulled out of the wiring for the TT. It was placed 2 plywood sheets over from where I am currently working and has to be replaced (ease of mounting) before the planning and installation of the 210' ME steel viaduct bridge.

The photos today are taken of the back of the layout.
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

WOW!!!! very nice so far. Can't wait to see what you do with buildings and track.

Karl