Painting detail castings tutorial.

Started by downtowndeco, April 02, 2019, 05:47:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

downtowndeco

Here is the tutorial for our new hydrocal detail castings. We're running a special on this 60 piece set.. Buy 2 sets and I'll send a 3rd set no charge. At the end of this tutorial I'll post the ordering info.

I started by spray painting the box castings flat tan, the junk piles w/dark gray & the trash cans primer gray followed by a mist of metallic silver. Let dry.

Next I added some color to the trash/junk in the boxes using various colors of acrylic paints. I didn't go overboard & paint every bit of the junk, just enough to break it up.

When dry, I gave all of the castings a thick, wet, dirty wash of black/brown. Again, let dry.

Finally I dry brushed all of the castings with some very light brown that I made by mixing a little flat white & brown acrylic paint. I used a flat, wide brush & just sort of hit the high points on the castings to make the details pop out. I added a couple labels and they're ready to add to a layout.

These are now shipping. $25 per set. Buy 2 sets, get a 3rd set free. You can either order by sending payment to Paypal using downtowndeco@montana.com or buy ordering directly from this link to our site. No special code is required.

http://www.downtowndeco.com/site/2018/08/31/dd1071-unpainted-detail-castings/

GPdemayo

Nice castings and how to.....thanks Randy.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

postalkarl

Hey Randy:

Thanks for posting. Great photos and how to.

Karl

S&S RR

Randy

Thank you for posting this. Very nice castings.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Jim Donovan

Thanks for the 'How To' very helpful. Great looking castings.

Jim D
Holland & Odessa Railroad

jrmueller

Question. What are they made of. Metal hydrocale?  Thanks Jim
Jim Mueller
Superintendent(Retired)
Westchester and Boston Railroad