Weathering HO scale plastic windows

Started by rosyfft, October 15, 2018, 11:46:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rosyfft

Trying to get everyone's best ideas on how to weather HO scale plastic windows. Can't seem to perfect the hair spray technique or dry brushing with a sponge.
Any others ideas?

bparrish

That's a tough one.........

I think my best efforts have been to air brush a base color of choice on the entire window and then dry brush randomly a second rather faded color for effect.

The truth is in HO it is really tough to see paint flakes on such small items..... Recall the nail hole conversation of about a week ago.

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

Dave K.

Please... no more nail holes talk...I'll go postal (no offense, Karl) if one more person opens that can of worms.

I use dry-dabbing of the windows with one of those little stippling sponges on a stick, found among the stencling supplies at your big-box craft store. I trim one down to get into the tight spots. Then I do a little dry-brushing and finish with some powders. All of this is prior to glazing, of course.

I'm sure someone will poo-poo this approach because such weathering "would never be seen from a distance." Blah-blah-blah.

restocarp

I would urge you to revisit your attempts with the sponge. The sponge should have almost no paint on it for the technique to work. Have a piece of paper towel handy. Lightly dip the sponge in the paint. I use a makeup sponge. Dab the sponge on the paper towel to remove most of the paint. Dab, do not wipe the dry sponge onto the window. Stop before you think you should. You can always add more. The effect is not seen as individual paint flakes, bu more as a faded, worn, not bright color. See pics below.

Matt

Dave K.

Exactly...almost no paint left on the applicator after you dab it off onto paper towel. Thus my snarky comment about "not seen from a scale distance."

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

rosyfft

Many thanks, I guess I will have to try the sponge again!

vinceg

Matt, great finishing effects. Thx.

I also bought a $2 pack of cosmetic sponges and tried to get some peeling/fading effect. Didn't work and I have resorted to terry cloth and paint brushes. Based on your post, I'll go back and try again and do a better job of wiping the paint off first.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

rpdylan

I agree with the sponge techniques, it's all I ever do for wood and windows
Bob C.

Zephyrus52246

I use a torn off piece of sponge so the edge is irregular.  I then put a small amount of paint on a card and tap the card to remove some of the paint.  Then tap the piece you're painting.  Lightly at first so you don't put too much paint on.  Move the item or the sponge at different angles so the splotches don't all line up.  Keep going until you get the amount of color/paint you want on the item.

Jeff

Opa George

Quote from: restocarp on October 16, 2018, 05:58:42 AM
Stop before you think you should.
Matt

Matt, I really like your results. If I could boil weathering down to one statement, it would be what Matt said, above. My best results have come from the less-is-more lesson.
--George

jerryrbeach

Quote from: vinceg on October 16, 2018, 12:56:55 PM

I also bought a $2 pack of cosmetic sponges and tried to get some peeling/fading effect. Didn't work and I have resorted to terry cloth and paint brushes. Based on your post, I'll go back and try again and do a better job of wiping the paint off first.

Vince,

I use scissors and /or tear the sponges to get a slightly rougher and much smaller surface area when I use the cosmetic sponges.  I find them too smooth as purchased to get an uneven paint application. 
Jerry

ReadingBob

Really nice results. 

This pretty much sums up the methods I use as well.  The only thing I'll add is that I like the cheap craft store acrylics for the sponge technique because I can go back, after the fact, and scrub off any unsightly blotches (where I may have gotten a little too heavy handed or the sponge wasn't quite dry enough) using a micro brush dipped in rubbing alcohol.  I usually do this right after I apply the A&I wash which causes the paint to softened up a bit.       
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

vinceg

Quote from: jerryrbeach on October 17, 2018, 07:21:11 AM
Quote from: vinceg on October 16, 2018, 12:56:55 PM

Thanks - I think that's the ticket. I just used them in their pristine, triangular state. Didn't splotch very well. Maybe I'll give the bag to my dog for an evening. Anything he doesn't eat should work nicely. (The ones he does eat would probably also work nicely, but the cleanup.....ugh)

Vince,

I use scissors and /or tear the sponges to get a slightly rougher and much smaller surface area when I use the cosmetic sponges.  I find them too smooth as purchased to get an uneven paint application.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Karl O

Hello,

I've tried pretty much all the methods that have been mentioned but the one I like best is using typewriter correction paper burnished on with a dull pencil. It takes about 10 seconds to do a window or door and if you don't like the look lift it off with a piece of scotch tape and do it again. Here's a Tichy window I did a few minutes ago. Keep in mind this window is 9/16"(.5625)x11/16" (.6875). I like the look but that's just my opinion...

Karl O.
Berkley, MI