Lighting Bar Mills Sokol's Furniture and Mattress Company

Started by ReadingBob, November 27, 2015, 07:40:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on December 28, 2015, 09:27:13 AM
Great job Bob!

How do you find the hollow tubing to be out of scale? From your pictures I can't tell much difference.

-slim

Thanks Slim!

To my eye it appeared to be a little bit thicker.  I'll have to search for the piece Tom gave me and compare the two.  I could be wrong.  Wouldn't be the first time.   ::)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

I just realized that there was one minor thing I failed to mention.  The wire I have that leads out of the structure was just some leftover wire from a garage door opener.  In one of the photo's you can see where I soldered it directly to the copper tape.  I found that any tension on that wire (including the weight of the wire itself) was enough to start pulling the copper tape away from the base and risk a short.  To alleviate that problem I added a cross piece of 1/8" strip wood then attached that wire to the center of cross piece with a plastic wire tie.  Now the wire won't put any stress on the copper tape.   :D

And, for what it's worth, the final count was 40 LED's.   8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Slim Jerkins

Quote from: ReadingBob on December 28, 2015, 10:37:27 AM
I just realized that there was one minor thing I failed to mention.  The wire I have that leads out of the structure was just some leftover wire from a garage door opener.  In one of the photo's you can see where I soldered it directly to the copper tape.  I found that any tension on that wire (including the weight of the wire itself) was enough to start pulling the copper tape away from the base and risk a short.  To alleviate that problem I added a cross piece of 1/8" strip wood then attached that wire to the center of cross piece with a plastic wire tie.  Now the wire won't put any stress on the copper tape.   :D

Be careful with solid core wire - since it's stiff it can do that. Another thing is that it can easily break if you nicked the wire while stripping it.

I usually have a mini hot melt gun close by for putting a little blob onto a wire connection to make it secure.

-slim

ReadingBob

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on December 28, 2015, 11:28:38 AMI usually have a mini hot melt gun close by for putting a little blob onto a wire connection to make it secure.

Good tip!   :D  I thought about using 5 minute epoxy to do something similar.  The hot glue gun never crossed my mind.  Thanks!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

cuse

Wow. I'd say this operation puts you just below Neurosurgeon and just above Ortho ( that's like building benchwork  ;) ).

Really great plan and execution!

John

S&S RR

Great build thread Bob. The lighting looks great and lots of good tips.  I really like the idea of having a soldering iron and a hot glue gun on the work bench at the same time. So how long will it take me to get burned?  Just kidding - a spot of hot glue at the right time sounds like a great idea.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ACL1504

Bob,

I owe you big time now Butty! Sokol's will be a focal point on the A&S RR. Can't wait to see it.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: Cuse on December 28, 2015, 04:39:27 PM
Wow. I'd say this operation puts you just below Neurosurgeon and just above Ortho ( that's like building benchwork  ;) ).

Really great plan and execution!

John

Thanks John!  I didn't electrocute myself or burn down the structure so I consider it a success.   ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: S&S RR on December 28, 2015, 08:18:49 PM
Great build thread Bob. The lighting looks great and lots of good tips.  I really like the idea of having a soldering iron and a hot glue gun on the work bench at the same time. So how long will it take me to get burned?  Just kidding - a spot of hot glue at the right time sounds like a great idea.

Thanks John!  I only burned myself once with the soldering iron while working inside the building.  It was very, very minor though.   :D  I guess it's a good thing I didn't have the hot glue gun out.   ;D  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 29, 2015, 08:59:30 AM
Bob,

I owe you big time now Butty! Sokol's will be a focal point on the A&S RR. Can't wait to see it.

Tom ;D

Thanks Tom,

At the very least it'll be a focal point when the lights in the room are dim and it's all lit up!   8)   :D  ;D

I need to drop it off along with your copper tape and the DVD you lent me.  I'll check with you to see when you're going to be around. 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

donatode

Quote from: Slim Jerkins on December 28, 2015, 11:28:38 AM
Quote from: ReadingBob on December 28, 2015, 10:37:27 AM

Be careful with solid core wire - since it's stiff it can do that. Another thing is that it can easily break if you nicked the wire while stripping it.

I usually have a mini hot melt gun close by for putting a little blob onto a wire connection to make it secure.

-slim