First Craftsman Kit Build - J. Keen Supplies

Started by WigWag Workshop, May 31, 2020, 03:52:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WigWag Workshop

Hey Der Folks,

Wish me luck, on my first Craftsman Kit build. It'll be slow going I'm sure, but I will post updates has I work on the kit. I do plan on setting the completed kit on a small diorama. 

A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

Janbouli

Toi toi toi , pronounced toy, is our way of wishing someone luck, will be following along.
I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Jump right in.....we'll all enjoy your maiden voyage.  :) .....and don.t forget the photos.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Everyone starts with a first one. Jump right in.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jerryrbeach

So, a couple suggestions.  If you sign your first name we can refer to you that way. 

Second, be as precise as possible when gluing the bracing in place.  Doug makes it look easy in the video, probably from having done it so many times.  Recognize that the bracing is not always cut square and that the width can vary between pieces as well as from side to side.  The pieces inset from the ends for the width of the bracing can make or break how well the walls fit together.   

This is a great group and many will step up should you have questions.
Jerry

vinceg

Welcome to the addiction. As others have said, be sure to reach out along the way if you like. People here have a wealth of experience. I surely have appreciated being able to tap into it.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

bparrish

Good choice for a starter..........

I'm in for the ride ! !

see ya
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

postalkarl

Hey Wig Wag:

Good luck with your first build. I'l be following along.

Karl

WigWag Workshop

Quote from: jerryrbeach on May 31, 2020, 08:11:43 PM

So, a couple suggestions.  If you sign your first name we can refer to you that way. 

Second, be as precise as possible when gluing the bracing in place.  Doug makes it look easy in the video, probably from having done it so many times.  Recognize that the bracing is not always cut square and that the width can vary between pieces as well as from side to side.  The pieces inset from the ends for the width of the bracing can make or break how well the walls fit together.   

This is a great group and many will step up should you have questions.

Thank You for the tips on the bracing Jerry, I did notice that on some walls, you don't glue them right on the edge, but have to indent the width of the wood strip.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

WigWag Workshop

Thank you all for the encouragement, it's greatly appreciated.  I am currently experimenting with colors on some scrap pieces, so far so good.

-Steven

ReadingBob

Hi Steven.  I'll be following along as well.  Enjoy the journey!   :)  Warning - it can become quite addictive.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Steven,

Getting started on the first kit is exciting. So, enjoy the journey and if you have any questions just ask, we are here to help each other.

I'm not addicted like the others, I only have a couple hundred unbuilt kits.

Oh, and yes, I'm with you on this one as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Good luck with the build and I will be following along.  As Tom said, please ask questions.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

MAP

Have fun with the build!  I'll be checking in as well.
Mark

postalkarl

Hey All:

I'm still watching with interest. Always like to see someone's first build.

Karl

Karl