FOS Harbor Master Office build.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2020, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Janbouli on July 23, 2020, 07:48:16 AM
Following along Tom

Jan,

Happy to have you back and following along on this adventure.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on July 23, 2020, 11:08:21 AM
Tom

I will be following along - I'M interested to see what you come up with.

John,

Thanks for following along on this one.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Don't forget this is my BUILD THREAD and not a food thread! ??? ??? Just saying.

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This morning I removed the walls from the carrier sheets. Be careful with the small door as it is fragile. No, I didn't break it but I've learned from past experience which pieces are prone to breaking. The small door is one such piece.

When the laser cuts a section or wall, it leaves a burnt/brown edge. This edge is referred to as a "kerf". The laser also cuts at a slight angle so I make it a habit of sanding the "kerf" back to square on the edges. I use a large sanding stick and firmly hold the wall section and lightly sand the edge until the "kerf" or edge no longer shows a burnt edge.

I try to follow the 6 P principle. Proper Planning Prevents a P--s Poor Product.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the photo below, you can see the sanded wall edge on the left.

Sanded edge is on the top.

I do this so the corner trim fits flush against the wall edge and not show a slight gap if not sanded.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also add extra bracing to the walls. Florida is a humid state so the extra bracing helps. I especially like adding extra trim to the gable ends of wall sections.

I start on one side, glue the brace and when dry, cut is as shown below.

The angle of the cut piece is the same angle as the top of the gable as shown below. Glue this in place and cut off at wall edge.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

You can see the cut piece is the same angle. Glue this in place and then glue the left over piece vertically.

Back in a few. Diet Pepsi time.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the photo below, you can see the extra bracing on the gable ends. I've marked in red ink the extra bracing.

The extra bracing is also an added support for the roof panels when they are added.

When all the bracing is dry, I go back and lightly sand the edges again to remove any glue that may have squeezed out as the bracing was drying.

Next is staining and painting.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Quote from: ACL1504 on July 23, 2020, 04:24:12 PM
Don't forget this is my BUILD THREAD and not a food thread! ??? ??? Just saying.

Tom 8)

Got the message.....won't chat about chicken fried steak then.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Looking forward to seeing your progress Tom.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Quote from: GPdemayo on July 23, 2020, 05:18:22 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on July 23, 2020, 04:24:12 PM

Tom 8)

Got the message.....won't chat about chicken fried steak then.  ::)

Oh brother, apparently not!
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: PRR Modeler on July 23, 2020, 05:21:01 PM
Looking forward to seeing your progress Tom.

Curt,

Thank you for following along.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Bruce Oberleitner

Hi Tom,
Looks like another cool project for your railroad is afoot!  can't wait to see what it looks like when it's finished.

BTW, with Doug's kit of the month program, does he include instruction with them?

Jerry

Nice job Tom.  I like that extra bracing to keep it right.

Not a bad idea for kits like that in Jersey with the humidity here this year!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

MAP

Coming along nicely Tom!  Extra bracing is always a wise thing to add.
Mark