FOS Riverbend Chapel

Started by Oldguy, July 21, 2020, 08:12:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Since the Highline goes through the bible belt, I felt I needed a backwoods church or two.  I already had a Blair Line Church which looks a lot like my Walthers Cottage Grove Church, which resembles my Timberline Church at Fairplay.  I was perusing FOS's site and noticed the chaple and cemetary kit.  Voila!  I added the cemetery extension kit as well.
So the typical box contents.  It took me a while to realize that the bracing diagram was from the front, kinda like an xray.  And yes, this is my first and only FOS kit.  I messed up and didn't get a freebie with it, but oh well.
The bracing diagram has the stained glass windows and what is shown is a scanned copy.  That is why there is a ruler on the bottom.

IN the next to last photo, the thick brown laser cut board also doubles as the foundation sections.  Remove the laser cut parts and the three rectangular remaining pieces form the foundation,  Very clever.
The last section shows the tombstones.  Some with names, some not.  But luckily any dates fit well within my era.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Considering that just about every wood piece gets hit with A&I wash.
In the meantime, I started building the cemetery posts.  The carrier sheet is about 1/8" thick, so the typical xacto blade wasn't going to easily cut it.  But the Micro saw worked like a charm.  The carrier sheet shown is from the cemetery extension kit and it has extra posts.  A post consists of a square thick piece that holds the upright post.  Then one adds a thin trim piece at the bottom, followed by a small trim piece at the top.  I elected to keep the top piece flush.
These should be painted a granite color.  One a down note, the extension kit had a bunch of the posts and thin trim pieces, but no thick bottom square.  I 'll just have to  use some strip wood here.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

With the A&I wash dry, I used cut down packing foam slabs for my weathered painting.  And just about everything gets white paint.

The kit includes these cool windows and precut acetate glass.  Here, a fine tipped glue applicator comes in real handy.  Once the frame was placed, I used the flat end of my tweezers to ensure that the frame was centered.

Once the frames have been installed, it was time to paint the window frame interiors.  The actual installation of the window looks interesting.  Not sure of exactly where it should placed in the opening.  I'll figure it out tomorrow.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

You're doing a great job on a interesting looking kit.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Great timing Bob.  I was perusing this one on the FOS site a little while ago debating whether to pull the trigger or not so I could get the freebie.  Not like I need anymore kits but I'm sorely tempted on this one.  Still on the fence though.  Guess I'd better make up my mind quick.  :D

Oh, yeah, I'll be following along.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ACL1504

Bob,

I agree with Reading Bob on this one. I did in fact pull the trigger and actually have a spot on the second level for the church. Mine will be abandoned though. Maybe I can satisfy Bob's itch by having him build this one. Not sure when Doug will send it but it's paid for.

I'll be following along on this one.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

WigWag Workshop

I will be along for the ride.  Also like to mention, that my 3rd build will be a FOS kit, so I will be interested in seeing how this all comes together, and any issues you run in to (If Any).  Appreciate you sharing this build.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

GPdemayo

I'll be looking in too Bob..... :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Opa George

HI Bob,

Looks like a fun kit.  The laser cut fencing is really n ice. I'll be watching, too.
--Opa George

Oldguy

Wow, welcome.  Glad to have you all along for the ride.
My main concern today was how to place the doors and windows.  The instructions say to just follow the photos.  Not many of them though.  So I decided to recess them a bit.  But how to get there with bracing installed.  Considering the bracing is 1/8" and so is the thick parts board, that makes it easy to make a stop.  So I did.  Just cut off the extra bits.

Speaking of the large parts board, my #11 blade didn't work all that well in cutting off the connecting bit.  So I tried to just pop them loose from the back.  Bad idea and several had some de-lamination.  So I dug out an old #16 blade, and it worked a lot better.

Back to doors and windows.  I glued the two doors together to make it easier for them to be installed.  Figuring that the windows would be inset a bit, the door also be inset.  But how far.  About the only thing I had at hand was the cut off piece from the door frame.  Okay, set the 1/8" spacer, add the frame cut off and glue the doors on.  Not all sure just fixed these would be, I decided that gluing in the insert would actually strengthen the doors.  I could have just as easily glued to doors to it and mounted the entire assembly.  Live and learn.  I added the door knobs by a little dab of metallic zinc.  It might need another dab for more relief.

But what about the windows?  How to space them in the frame?  In time I'll figure it out.  But first I need to add all the acetate to the frames.  Canopy glue was recommended and I had some handy; once I cleaned out the solidified glue build up in the metal applicator tip.  I added just the slightest amount around the edges and on the mullions and cleaned up the resulting mess with a damp flat paint brush.

TBC
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Once the 11 smaller arched windows were done, it was one to the two larger ones.  The largest window was a surprise as it's acetate was bigger that the frame.  The only one.  I considered cutting it down, until I thought it most likely was intentional. Several of the smaller windows had curled a bit, even after they were weighed down while the glue dried.  That would make installation an issue.

So, I looked at the stained glass print.  Hmmmm, they are bigger that the frame.  I could cut them to size, but why do so?  Just glue the window to each stained bit and use the paper to hold it in place!

But first, the glue mu set up.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Oh , nice , will be following , those windows sure look good.
I love photo's, don't we all.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

Jan and Curt I appreciate the comments. So of course, I messed the windows.  The main stained glass window had two smaller ones that all go together.  So of course while I was installing the stained glass windows, I forgot about those two.  By the time I realized the mess up, it was too late to make changes.  So now, they are all done.  And if anyone was wondering how they would look backlit, I took a couple of photos.  I have no idea of What that dark splotch is on one of the windows.

While waiting for the windows to dry I worked on the witches hat roof.  Can I say witches hat for a church?  Well, I guess I just did.  It is the typical fold along the provided lines type of construction.  Although, I started the bend and used a metal ruler to ensure it stayed along the line.  I added some blue tape along the mating corner and glued it together.  I braced it until the glue was set to keep it square.  Later I added a 1/8" piece of bacing along the seam and added glued along the folded joints.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Now it was time to actually assemble the chapel.  And that's where I ran into some diffugalties.   The tower section labeled W5 has a brace added on one edge.  Well, it can't work as the other two pieces also have braces.  So I just cut it off.  With that taken care of, I decided that I'd assemble the tower section first, as opposed to last.

So while that was drying the little addition was added and the main chapel was assembled and left to dry. Then it on to assemble the main building.  I hit another snag.  I added bracing as shown and normally I eyeball the interior ones as they are just bracing.  Well, big mistake as the interior bracing for the front wall also locates one exterior wall.  As built, this wall has a bend in it so the basic building isn't square.  It also looks like the 1/16" trim on the tower is in the way.  So a trim of the bracing and removal of the offending corner trim, voila. Square building. 

To make some sense of the above, here is what I would change on the plans.  And of course, I forgot to note the change in the corner trim on W6 where it meets with W1.  I would also match the bracing on W2 to match the interior bracing on W4 since they both set adjacent wall panels W1 and W3.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond