Campbell Scale Models Richmond Barrel Mfg Co

Started by Oldguy, October 25, 2019, 10:53:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jerryrbeach

Bob,

Looks good so far.  Lots of prep work to do before you can really see progress when using corrugated siding. Are you planning to weather (add some rust) to the siding before you apply it to the sides, or after?
Jerry

Oldguy

The kit is designed to have several different building options, and if you pick one, you need to keep what version you selected during the build process.  In my case, I flipped the building north and south.  This flipped the dock placement and required transferring rafter and joist placement guidelines.  I added a dot to indicate what side of the line, in this case, that the rafters are to go.

The flip side necessitated the roofing guidelines being added to the preprinted joist spacing lines.  I added the arrows to indicate what line is active.

I picked two short roof card to add the corrugated roofing.  Better to use this to test the gluing and spacing of the panels.  So far, so good.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Just as I did with the dock roof cards, I had to transfer the dock joist guidelines to the underside of the dock deck.  Then it was a matter of cutting and adding the joists.
With the success of the smaller roof panels, I moved up a notch to the annex roof.  I did use 3 different shades of gray, which shows up on this section.  One must flip the cardboard over and weight them down for 24 hours to minimize warping.  The small roof pieces had started to warp before I had finished adding the panels.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: jerryrbeach on November 03, 2019, 08:55:20 PM
Bob,

Looks good so far.  Lots of prep work to do before you can really see progress when using corrugated siding. Are you planning to weather (add some rust) to the siding before you apply it to the sides, or after?
My plan is to hit the roof and wall sections with a matte varnish, and then paint the walls very lightly with white acrylic and lightly rust the roof panels.  I might play around with pastel for color.  I'll have some time to see what works. 

And yes, way too much prep work for these tired old eyes. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Oldguy

The instructions have one install all the metal siding and then add other bits.  Because I already decided to add a HCB foundation, I decided to add the ledger for the dock.  I looked into adding the similar piece for the roof, but it would really cutup the siding installation.  I needed something somewhat stiff, but yet light, to aid in setting the brick overlay, so the scale ruler comes to the rescue.

I added a foundation to the annex, but made it shorter. 

The kit comes with 10', 6', and 4' lengths of corrugated siding.  And some cards getting a mixture of lengths.  To get the placement and overlaps correct, the cards have markings on them,  The upper dashed lines indicate the upper edge of the siding.  The solid lines show the bottom edge of the siding above, which seems rather silly, since they are covered over, by the time you could use them.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

One card had to be cut apart, the upper section received siding, while the lower section did not.  So cutting it apart made adding the siding easier.  Then once that was finished, you just glued the card back together again. 

One a couple of cards, there were no upper guidelines to use.  One the annex sides, it was an easy matter of measuring where the bottom of the highest piece of 4' siding came to and repeating that on the other edge, and then scribing a lite scratch line and use that as a guide.  The same procedure was used for the main roof card.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Because I added the dock ledger, the siding for one of the long sides and one end had to be cut, and I needed a bunch of them.  It was determined that I could cut the standard 10' pieces to 6', but how to do it easy?  The Chopper came to the rescue.  It cut the metal with no issues.  Of course, why in the blue blazes didn't I use it to cut the siding to width?  The blade is long enough.  One just had to pay attention to the stop as the material is thin enough to go under it.

Where possible using a straight edge makes adding the siding a lot quicker as the ends are square with the sides.
So, at this point, where am I?  Well, I just have these cards left to add metal.  One long side, the two story end, the second story roof and the two dock roofs.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Very nice modeling Bob. Is the corrugated metal actually metal or a thick paper?
Curt Webb

Oldguy

Quote from: PRR Modeler on November 06, 2019, 09:06:25 AM
Very nice modeling Bob. Is the corrugated metal actually metal or a thick paper?
It's actually metal.  I would guess a heavy gauge aluminum. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

bandman

Enjoying your build, Bob.  I'm pretty much a lurker on these forums, but I thought I should say something to let you know that you are being "watched".  Interesting approaches you are taking with these alterations.  Looks good.  Thanks for sharing.

Horton M.

Opa George

Bob, really nice work with the corrugated siding.  Looks very authentic.
--George

Oldguy

George, Horton, and Curt, glad you liked what I am doing.  It's all a bit trial and error.
I've finally done with adding the metal!!!!!  These were taken to the spray booth for a spritz of matte varnish.  Once it has cured overnite, I'll see what kind of finish I can do.  What is a bit scary is the amount of warping that has occurred on the long walls.
With the matte varnish drying, it was on to the loading docks.  I had to really pay attention since I change their location as to orientation.  I also added more glue to beef up the joints.  A quick dusting of weathering powers will remove the bare wood ends.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb

jerryrbeach

Bob,

I like the subtle differences in the color of the corrugated panels.  I think you have captured the look of the real thing.  I'll be interested to see how the metal looks once you have added your weathering powders. 
Jerry