Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

Just getting caught up. What % alcohol did you use for the chalk painting?  I've tried it, but all my alcohol evaporated before I could do anything.
Foundations.  I'm with you on them, but with a caveat.  As long as the ground slopes away, it should be good.  On my Monster Model Works build, I didn't catch the lack of a foundation to the office section, until it was too late.

On the other hand, I found that if the main floor is raised, just by adding a block or stone overlay will give you a foundation.
Here are two examples of wood siding being placed directly on the ground.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

deemery

I'm not sure if those post foundations were widely used in cold climates.  Certainly that floor would be very cold in the winter!!  Kiss your pipes good-bye!  ;)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: Oldguy on December 15, 2019, 11:59:25 AM
Just getting caught up. What % alcohol did you use for the chalk painting?  I've tried it, but all my alcohol evaporated before I could do anything.
Foundations.  I'm with you on them, but with a caveat.  As long as the ground slopes away, it should be good.  On my Monster Model Works build, I didn't catch the lack of a foundation to the office section, until it was too late.

On the other hand, I found that if the main floor is raised, just by adding a block or stone overlay will give you a foundation.
Here are two examples of wood siding being placed directly on the ground.

Hi Bob

Thank you for following the build thread. I use 90% alcohol that I buy from my local drug store.  I just add a squirt or two to the chalk as it gets dried out and keep on painting.

I think the foundation issue is a local building code issue. Where I live a building would only last a few years with out a foundation because of the snow melt. As the snow melts the water would seep into the building. In the South you could probably get away with wood on the ground - except I would be worried about termites.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on December 15, 2019, 01:40:35 PM
I'm not sure if those post foundations were widely used in cold climates.  Certainly that floor would be very cold in the winter!!  Kiss your pipes good-bye!  ;)

dave

Dave

All good points.
John Siekirk

jbvb

Many houses and commercial structures' foundations only extend 6-8" above the ground for at least part of the building - makes access much easier.  If it's that close, you can't see what the foundation is made of without getting down on your knees, unless the owner has just mowed the lawn.
James

S&S RR

Quote from: jbvb on December 16, 2019, 06:48:52 PM
Many houses and commercial structures' foundations only extend 6-8" above the ground for at least part of the building - makes access much easier.  If it's that close, you can't see what the foundation is made of without getting down on your knees, unless the owner has just mowed the lawn.

James

Thank you for your comments on foundations.  I'm coming to the conclusion that foundation type and specifications really depends on the area you are modeling. The old rule of you can find a prototype for anything really seems to apply here.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here are a few pictures of the track work changes that I'm making.  I also brought the Fox Run and Swakhammer builds back to the layout for a test fit before I glue the main buildings down on the baseboards.

The outline for the Brownsville depot has been added with a sharpe.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

All I can say is WOW!!!! great job on all the kits and putting them in place on the RR. Keep the great photos coming. Like the way you are setting up Sewel's and Dakota Maid Flour.

Karl

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Nice work John there going to add a lot to the area.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on December 18, 2019, 02:15:23 PM
Hey John:

All I can say is WOW!!!! great job on all the kits and putting them in place on the RR. Keep the great photos coming. Like the way you are setting up Sewel's and Dakota Maid Flour.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the kind words. This area is starting to take shape.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk