Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Next up, rafter ends and cupolas on the Stone portion of the Swakhammer building.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

postalkarl

Hey John:

Both kits look just great. Love the colors. you glue your roofs down before adding the shingles. I do my shingles while the roofs are flat on the work bench. I find it much easier that way.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 08, 2020, 02:24:00 PM
Hey John:

Both kits look just great. Love the colors. you glue your roofs down before adding the shingles. I do my shingles while the roofs are flat on the work bench. I find it much easier that way.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the kind words. I just dry brushed the dark brown windows on the Swakhammer build with some titanium white and I think they look a lot better. I'll post some pictures.

As for shingles going on after the roof card is glued down or flat on the table - I have done it both ways.  I guess I like adding them better after the roof card is glued on because that's the way I have been doing it the last few years.  I can't think of any good reasons for one way or the other. I guess I like dealing with the seam lines on the roof like you would do it on the prototype.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I got the rafter ends on the Stone Building of Swakhammers.  Next up is the roofing materials.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

I love the way it came out John.........Dennis
P.S I hope mom's doing better?
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: DennisBourey on January 09, 2020, 08:15:22 PM
I love the way it came out John.........Dennis
P.S I hope mom's doing better?

Dennis

Thank you for the kind words.  Mom is doing better, thank you for asking.
John Siekirk

Jerry

Looking good John.

Hope your Mom is feeling better.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bruce Oberleitner

Hi John,
Nice looking build on the Swakhammers kit.  Like everyone else, I like the colors you chosen to use on the structure.

8) 8) 8)

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on January 10, 2020, 10:02:58 AM
Looking good John.

Hope your Mom is feeling better.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for the kind words and thinking about my mom.  She is doing better - she is 87 in March so we need to keep a close eye on her.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Bruce Oberleitner on January 10, 2020, 11:45:28 AM
Hi John,
Nice looking build on the Swakhammers kit.  Like everyone else, I like the colors you chosen to use on the structure.

8) 8) 8)

Bruce

Thank you for the kind words and for following along. I just took a break from adding roofing materials to check the forum. I was thinking about George Sellios and wondering if there was an update.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You can see the difference the dry brushing with titanium white chalk made for the window and door castings.  The lighting is not good for the iPhone photographs - better pictures when I'm finished with the roofing.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

The roof is looking just great. We all have our own methods.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on January 11, 2020, 08:21:17 AM
Hey John:

The roof is looking just great. We all have our own methods.

Karl
Karl

Thank you for the complements - yes we all trend towards what works for us. 
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I applied the metal roofing to the Stone portion of the Swakhammer's build. I'm letting it dry overnight and then I will start the coloring process.

John Siekirk