Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Dave and Dennis

That paint rack with the color chart really speeds up a build.  I created it over time by just painting a color each time I used it until the complete rack was color coded.  I highly recommend it!  If you look at the rack you will see a couple colors missing - that's how I reorder the paints.  If it's missing order another bottle.

As for other organizational issues,  I have been working on wiring under the layout and finding stuff I bought and forgot about.  So far I found a case of super trees, a case of sage brush for trees, and 6 craftsman kits that I shipped from a Narrow Gauge Convention about 15-20 years ago.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Dennis Bourey

John, its weird how we find things that we forgot about. I too found kits I didn't even knew I had.  Your paint rack is a really good idea. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on April 14, 2020, 12:41:36 PM
John, its weird how we find things that we forgot about. I too found kits I didn't even knew I had.  Your paint rack is a really good idea. Dennis

Dennis

The one organizational issue I just can't seem to fix is keeping my tools where I need them.  As you know, I usually have three projects going at once and work on three different work benches. In just a few hours  I realize that I need to sort the tools back on to the three workbenches, again,  because I have managed to carry them with me from job to job and now have everything on one workbench.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

John, Me personally I lose tools that's in front of me. But You inspired me to pick them up again and start building Thanks.Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Mark Dalrymple

Yes - only yesterday I spent ages looking for my clutch pencil I finally found it right at the front of the modelling table under my ruler!

A few years back I visited my local hobby shop right when the owner had decided to make more room by getting rid of his Floquil paint stand.  We lifted the stand up, carried it to my car (with all the paints still in it) and put it in my boot.  Problem solved, all for $60 (and a bit of arm twisting).  When I got home I counted up the bottles - 330!  As a result I have the same paint swabs, but, of course, can't reorder.

Cheers, Mark.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on April 15, 2020, 03:34:20 PM
Yes - only yesterday I spent ages looking for my clutch pencil I finally found it right at the front of the modelling table under my ruler!

A few years back I visited my local hobby shop right when the owner had decided to make more room by getting rid of his Floquil paint stand.  We lifted the stand up, carried it to my car (with all the paints still in it) and put it in my boot.  Problem solved, all for $60 (and a bit of arm twisting).  When I got home I counted up the bottles - 330!  As a result I have the same paint swabs, but, of course, can't reorder.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

What a great find and buy. That is a lot of paint.  I have one recommendation for you.  Store the bottles upside down - it will help seal the bottles.  I want to watch you use every one of those bottles of paint.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, was a special day on the S&S RR. I started another big project - the Brick Roundhouse for the Superior Yard. I needed to figure out how big it was going to be and laid the castings out once again to make the final decision. I decided on the split design where the locomotives will enter the turn table by passing between two roundhouse sections. The larger building will have 11 stalls and the smaller will have 4 stalls.  There will also be a number outside storage tracks connected to the turntable.  Here are a couple pictures of the base casting laid out in the final configuration.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

vinceg

Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

The next step in the design process is to establish what I want to do for the baseboard.  I need to get all of the heights worked out for the track and structure castings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on April 15, 2020, 07:23:43 PM
Wow - this is huge. Will be fun to watch.

Vince

Thank you for following along and yes it's going to be a big one.  I made the castings a few months back but then stored them away until I completed the three projects I had on the workbench. Since I'm in the final detailing stage on the Fox Run build I decided to get this one started. I was originally planning on a 3 and 9 stall facility so I need to take inventory and make sure I have enough castings. If not - I will be making some more castings before I can get started with the cleaning, painting and assembly process.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dennis Bourey

John, I will be following this build real close. Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)