FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Opa George

Hey Bruce, thanks for the nice comment!
There is another small structure that tacks on to the back side of the machine shop row: a pub entrance. It is a three-sided, very simple covered entrance. Below are the parts. The directions specified which roof to use, but after taking it from the carrier sheet, I realized it was not wide enough, and it also has a score line, which would not be needed on this application. So perhaps the instructions listed the wrong roof number.  I did not see another more suitable, so will simply use a bit of scrap cardboard.

By the way, and to help anyone who builds this going forward: each of the three walls for the pub entrance are on separate carrier sheets. I guess that is just how they needed to be positioned for maximum efficiency--so be careful which walls you remove to use here.

Here is the assembled machine shop row, with a few additional details.  The stone wall (not fully colored yet) is cut from a larger random stone wall mold from Bragdon Enterprises.

A close-up of the interior of the machine shop with some Faller shop machinery on the work floor.  This is woodworking machinery, so not entirely accurate for a machine shop, but I mostly wanted something to suggest machinery through the open doors. I don't think it will be closely inspected.

I attached the service station to the bottom, and the livery stable to the top, and secured the entire row of structure to the base for eventual installation on my layout.  At this point, still much to do on the row: roofs, lots of trim, and the landscaping on this near side. I'll probably begin to rough that in even as I start the enamel works, which is the feature structure in this kit.

--George

jerryrbeach

George,

You have made some definite progress.  Looks good, I like the slight difference in wall colors.  FWIW, you can always make the machine shop a millwork shop.  I'll be interested to see how you pull the change in elevation together.
Jerry

hairball

I just read from page one to page 11, here, and I am impressed with what you have created.   Highly unusual kit design but extremely interesting to build and have on a layout.  All those little sections / dioramas really come together.  My favorite was the gas station.

mike lynch....madmike3434..........HAIRBALL

Janbouli

I love photo's, don't we all.

Opa George

Quote from: jerryrbeach on December 02, 2019, 07:48:15 PM
George,

You have made some definite progress.  Looks good, I like the slight difference in wall colors.  FWIW, you can always make the machine shop a millwork shop.  I'll be interested to see how you pull the change in elevation together.

Thanks, Jerry. I may make up a new sign on my computer and go with millworks. I like that idea and it will fit well in this neighborhood on my layout.  I don't have all the mechanisms for the elevation changes mapped out yet, but have several ideas.

--George

Opa George

Thank you, Jan. And thank you, Mike.  I really enjoy FOS kits--lots of interesting structures and most have certain "flair" to make them stand out.
--George

cuse

What a great looking, interesting build...I love the multiple levels! That's one of the features Doug Foscale uses so well in his displays. I'll be following

John

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, George.

I think I can imagineer that road in place...Do you intend it starting around the corner half way along the garage wall?

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Quote from: mark dalrymple on December 03, 2019, 12:40:07 PM
Looking good, George.

I think I can imagineer that road in place...Do you intend it starting around the corner half way along the garage wall?

Cheers, Mark.

Hi Mark--that would be great. Have a go at it.  I'm at work now and don't have measurements for you but can get them this evening, with a top-down photo so you can see the plan (although it does follow the zig-zag of the original kit plan).

Also, I plan to use Chooch cobblestone streets, which are actually more like Belgian Block.  I understand cobbles provide more traction than concrete or asphalt.
--George

Opa George

Here is a top-down view of Machine Shop Row (or maybe to be named Millwork Row).

In round numbers, the total rise is 5 inches and total run is 11 inches.  Yup, that's a 45% incline. By starting the slope at the service station bay instead of halfway along the side wall, and extending the slope to the outside horse stall of the livery stable instead of at the edge of the stable, I can extend the run to 12 inches, which gives a 41.6% incline. But why make it easy on the little 1/87th residents?

George

Mark Dalrymple

HI George.

Baldwin Street, which until recently was considered the steepest street in the world, has a slope of 19 degrees or 1:2.86.  I work your 5/11 out at 24.4 degrees or 1:2.2.  At present you unofficially have the steepest street in the world!  I would run a line from the bottom left of the livery door to the bottom left of the single door with a transom.  If this line kept going down at this already very steep slope it would meet the garage at the center forecourt bay - which I can't see working.  I would be inclined to revisit the first step in height, between apartment one and two (of 1,2,3,4 starting at the bottom).  By lessening this step by maybe 8 clapboards, all would become easy.  Why don't you try mocking up a road and see what you think?

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey George:

WOW!!! you are really making progress with this.

Looks just great.

Karl

JimMooney

Startin' to look like stamp mill... ;D

Opa George

HI Karl and Jim, thanks for looking in and for the nice comments. I appreciate it.

Mark, I spent the last few days puzzling over the road and decided instead of making it a straight run, went a different route (literally).  I added an extra expanse of board to the diorama base and will take the road out on a bit of a dogleg run perpendicular to the mill to gain length and keep the grade to something considerably less rigorous for my 1/87th residents.

The photo below shows the added space, with red lines superimposed to very roughly approximate the new road. Black lines represent rock faces or fieldstone walls. 

This will work out better for multiple reasons:
1. More opportunity to build in some dramatic scenery with the rock faces.
2. This preserves the open space below the mill, where the divot is carved out, for a large culvert that will continue on through, under the 5 story factory (the "Enamel Works" in the kit, but destined to be renamed when built), and empty out into the canal on the other side.
3. This arrangement forces me to re-orient the entire diorama by 90 degrees, so that the top of the hill will now butt up against the high part (the dancehall side) of the Rust Rock Falls kit, which will work out better than my original plan.

--George

Jerry

George coming along very nicely.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln