RailroadKits Gas 'n Go

Started by Oldguy, March 21, 2020, 10:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Looking good Bob.  Looking very good!   ;)  I'm looking forward to seeing this come together on the base.

RailroadKits has some great kits at some very reasonable prices.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Oldguy

Quote from: ReadingBob on April 09, 2020, 08:01:28 AM
Looking good Bob.  Looking very good!   ;)  I'm looking forward to seeing this come together on the base.

RailroadKits has some great kits at some very reasonable prices.
Thanks fr the nice comment..  I also bought a falling down warehouse, that'll get built shortly.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

My new camera arrived along with a new Bar Mills Kit.  Woo hoo it's like Christmas!  Well, they are forecasting snow, so there is that.
Since I don't trust 3/8" gaterboard all that much, I'll use 1/2" board.  Like I previously mentioned, I made a structure base that included sidewalk and  foundation.  Then I needed to double the depth and glued the whole thing on the board.  I did add a bunch of locator blocks to keep the building square.   The building is just sitting on it at this point.  There's Chelta Mitchell cleaning the living room rug. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

And with the receipt of the taskboard, I can start on the roofs.  The Rslaserkit 3 tab shingles begin with a starter strip then the first row of shingles.  This row begins 3/16" for the edge, and each additional row is 1/16" up.  So I mark the board accordingly and draw parallel lines.  I always measure up, and in this case the depth of my plastic ruler and press down.  Then, taking a triangle, put the pencil lead in the divot, move the triangle to it, and draw down (or across).

Here is the roofing kit.  Four sheets of shingles, plus the starter strip.  Some sheets have a narrow waste piece that can be used for another starter course.  And most side pieces will serve as ridge cap material.

I started on the smaller roof using transfer tape.  I thought it would make application easier.  Nope.  Just not enough adhesive, so I had to use some Elmer's in a small applicator bottle.  Here is a photo of the tools that I use.  The brush is used to settle the row down by dabbing.  The flush cutter is used to do a rough trim at the ends.  The small ruler is used to do any final adjustment to a row.  It works a lot better than trying to move a small area by other means. 

And here is half of the porch roof.  I should note that the Center Line was marked and will be scored for folding.   The other roof decks will be shingled using just Elmer's.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

Bob, this is turning out very nice.  Very cool detail with the carpet cleaning!
--Opa George

Lynnb

It will be interesting to see how you finish off the roof. I've aways wondered why its called a starter strip, I generally simply flip the first row around so the shingle half is pointing to the peak and go over that row normally butting to the overhang edge.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Oldguy

Quote from: Lynnb on April 13, 2020, 11:38:59 AM
It will be interesting to see how you finish off the roof. I've aways wondered why its called a starter strip, I generally simply flip the first row around so the shingle half is pointing to the peak and go over that row normally butting to the overhang edge.
That's how most 3-tab shingle install are done in the real world.   For me, it just saves a shingle row.   Our architectural shingles actually have a starter shingle bundle that is flat, i.e.  no raised shingle bits.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Good grief this is a slow process.  But finally got the roofs shingled and roofs glued down.  Next up, getting the rafter tails and all the ridge cap shingles installed.

While the glue was drying, it was also a good time to start adding dirt to the base and finish grinding up all the rest of the dirt that was dug up last fall.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Quote from: Opa George on April 13, 2020, 07:18:21 AM
--Opa George
Thanks, I had to do something to cover up faux pas with the porch railing.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ReadingBob

Quote from: Oldguy on April 14, 2020, 08:12:20 PM
Quote from: Opa George on April 13, 2020, 07:18:21 AM
--Opa George
Thanks, I had to do something to cover up faux pas with the porch railing.

Covering up that faux pas ended up turning that into a major point of interest.  Very cool.  This is really looking sharp.   ;D 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Oldguy

Roof - all done but weathering.  Next up - rafter tails.  About a hundred.
Played around with dirt and gravel.  Found out that Gorilla glue don't work that well.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

NEMMRRC

Cool kit. Very good job on the build.

I see www.railroadkits.com still sells this kit. They still advertise the ability to add your name to the sign. It's reasonably priced....

"Jaime's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Gas 'N Go"

It could happen.

Jaime

Lynnb

Looks great, rafter tails should keep you busy for a bit. I have a set of flat end nail clippers I use for cutting the ends once there glued in.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

vinceg

Quote from: NEMMRRC on April 18, 2020, 08:20:25 AM
Cool kit. Very good job on the build.

I see www.railroadkits.com still sells this kit. They still advertise the ability to add your name to the sign. It's reasonably priced....

"Jaime's Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious Gas 'N Go"

It could happen.

Jaime

Maybe you could ask them to make a stencil of that for you.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Oldguy

Quote from: Lynnb on April 20, 2020, 12:13:42 PM
Looks great, rafter tails should keep you busy for a bit. I have a set of flat end nail clippers I use for cutting the ends once there glued in.
Thanks.  I use either a flush cut sprue cutter, old set of rail nippers, or tweezer looking sprue cutters.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond