RailroadKits Gas 'n Go

Started by Oldguy, March 21, 2020, 10:22:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

I ran across this kit by chance while searching the internets for something else.   I really don't need another gas station.  Yes, I said it.  I don't need another gas station.  But, it just wouldn't let me go.  And I could name it.  Okay SOLD.  I'll sell one of the gas stations in my stash.  Or two.
I named it after my mothers family and my middle name.  Mitchell's So here's the ubiquitous box and contents.  I really like the color on the enclosed signage, especially after my last build.  And strip wood.  Talk about a lot of bracing!  There is a separate sheet just on bracing. 

The instructions, oh the instructions.  First kit that they have to be downloaded from the internet.  Not in the box.  Not a problem.  Just never encountered it before.  The instructions mention paying special attention to the porch ends and that they are subtle differences between inner and out pieces.  Um. No.  They are  exactly the same.  The inner one will just have to be cut down to sit on the porch supports.

So, one to the bracing.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

With some bracing needing to be even with the edges and others inset 5/32, I use the gluing jig to keep everything aligned.   I went to start on the front and backs walls, and found an issue.  The walls aren't perpendicular to the bottom edge.  Once I figured it out, I sanded the edges using the bottom edge as my reference point. 

Then, it was on to the sides.  These were a bit better as to square.  But then . . . .   One wall has an inset door and with bracing needed on the inset wall pieces, I ran out of physical space, so I ignored bracing in this area.  (Side bracing is 5/32, actual bracing is 5/32, and it has be 7/32 from the opening.  Space between the edge and the inset opening - 14/32.  Needed - 17/32).  But, I got all the bracing done and let set overnight.

Next up nail holes.  Um.  Perhaps I should have done this before the bracing. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Bruce Oberleitner

Looks like you are off to a great start.  I have too many gas station kits as well.  They seem to keep multipling around the house for some reason.

;D ;D :o

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Nice kit. Looks like you are off to a good start. I'll be following along.

Karl

GPdemayo

Nice kit Bob.....I'll be looking in.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Oldguy

Thanks all.  But Houston, we may have a problem.  Look what I ran across -

Decisions.  Decisions.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

jerryrbeach

Bob,

I have run across out of square walls before in laser cut kits.  After looking at the carrier sheets it seemed to me that the entire sheet had become slightly out of square.  I realized the laser cut was correct but the wood had warped after the kit was cut.  I now check all walls closely for square prior to starting any construction.  Good catch, bracing looks great.  As usual, I'll be following along to see whether you decide to build this as designed or make some changes in its appearance.
Jerry

PRR Modeler

I don't think I have ever seen a 2 story gas station.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

Bob,

I have this kit, started it and put it back for another day. I didn't experience any issue that I remember. Oh wait, the porch posts didn't make sense where they were so I moved them.  I started my build on the old forum in Feb. 2013. Pages 2 and 4 appear but not the photos.

http://web.archive.org/web/20131030153850/http://kitforums.com/viewforum.php?f=6&start=105

Jimmy D. (railroadkits) came out with this model in late 2012. It was offered with personalized signs. Mine was Perkins Hardware.

There used to be a few two story gas stations here in Central Florida. I remember the owners lived above the store and the second floor porch was over the pumps.

I'll be following along.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Quote from: ACL1504 on March 22, 2020, 02:46:29 PM
Bob,

I have this kit, started it and put it back for another day. I didn't experience any issue that I remember. Oh wait, the porch posts didn't make sense where they were so I moved them.  I started my build on the old forum in Feb. 2013. Pages 2 and 4 appear but not the photos.

http://web.archive.org/web/20131030153850/http://kitforums.com/viewforum.php?f=6&start=105

Jimmy D. (railroadkits) came out with this model in late 2012. It was offered with personalized signs. Mine was Perkins Hardware.

There used to be a few two story gas stations here in Central Florida. I remember the owners lived above the store and the second floor porch was over the pumps.

I'll be following along.

Tom
Thanks for link.  Such as it is.  Weird that it is every other page.  I've just finished the porch frames, but haven't gotten to how they look.  I was disappointed that the kit had a ton of 2x4s and one 2x6.  I opted to change the porch decking to 2x8s any way, and I'll add a blue colored porch ceiling.  Allegedly sky blue paint will keep the mud daubers from building their nests on it.
The other thing, is the lack of a foundation.  Fairly typical of most kits nowadays, so it isn't a knock, just what it is.
I know you did yours 7 years ago, but did yours have a couple of steps and some metal staff-looking thingies?  I can't find where these would go.  Unless it is buried in the middle of a paragraph.
I just got this kit a couple of weeks ago and was intrigued by the two story design, the inset entry and that it could be personalized.  Not all that far away from me is an old two story hotel/cafe/gas station that was built in the 30's.  So I knew it was plausible and then did some looking around.  There were a number of them, but not many were photographed, and fewer still exist.

It's going to be a slow until I figure out what direction I want to go.  As they say, the kit has good bones.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

ACL1504

Bob,

I apologize for taking over your thread but maybe this will help.

I was wrong about when the kit came out. It came out in the spring of 2011 and the kits were mailed sometime in the summer of 2011.

I never finished my model as if I remember it was the time I started removing my old layout and started the current one. Now, you've peaked my interest in finishing this. I think I now have a location for it.

Perkins was my mother's maiden name.

I have kits #10 and #11 out of 75.

Melissa wasn't the best about putting the correct scale lumber in the kits.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

If you look at the second story porch area in the photo on the box cover, you'll notice the porch railing interferes with the second story windows. To my way of thinking this would never be done in real life.

I measured and lowered the bottom two support holes nine (9) scale inches. This allows me to have a deck and the railing come up to the bottom of the window.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I have two metal gas pumps and two metal pierced earring fobs in my kit. The fobs can be cut to represent the angled outside light bars. Jimmy did this in many of his earlier kits.

I do have one set of two step stairs. These go under the back porch door. The back porch wall is shown below.

I hope this helps bob. I don't have access to my Perkins photos at present.

Jimmy has instructions for the kit on his site, www.railroadkits.com. However, he is closed until April 1, 2020 due to Covid-19.

Tom

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Oldguy

Tom, thanks for the input, and yes it helps.  I did figure out the steps as I mocked the inset entrance while waiting for glue to dry.

I missed the railing/window interference.  I agree.  It's really not right.  If one looks at the Coopers Corner photo, note that the porch railing ends between the twin windows.  I cut off the sprue with the railing to eye ball it  Nope.  Not going to happen.  As long as I'm in the neighborhood, I checked on how my futzing with the porch would affect the lower supports.  It is even with the bottom of the wall, but yet it sits on the gas island, so it's high.  I like the shape, so I need to wait until after I finalize the porch to see if I need to add or subtract material.

After checking the clearances, the under decking will clear.  Barely, but it will clear.  I decided that my best approach was to save what I have done, so I will under skin both the porch ceiling and floor.  This will allow the use of the kit bracing as I will widen the porches to clear the window interference.  Not shown is additional 8x8 material to fill in the gaps and edges.  Now, I'll need to ensure that I have enough spare railing squirreled away somewhere.

I did build two new peaks, but absolutely blew the math and will use the new deck and ceiling to fashion ones that will actually fit.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

Slow going today.  I did find extra porch railings.  Grandt Line (above) and at 75 cents.  Same from Tichy is like $3.50.  Yeah, it's been around awhile.  Both have been sprayed with Tamiya fine primer.  I'm really liking this stuff.

Spent most of the time trying to figure out a new porch end piece since widening the porch.  Finally got it right, but needed to draw it out on some card.  The bottom of the card is up to the 1 2 3 block and the two 30/60/90 triangles against the block will give you parallel lines just by moving one or both of the triangles.

Tomorrow, I'll be making a mock up of the cafe addition and see how it looks.  The side windows on that side are not equally spaced and I need to check for roof interference.

I was hoping that this would be a somewhat quick build as I have (had) knee replacement surgery scheduled for the first week in April.  That ain't happening as our local hospital is basically on lock down as they have a covid case in isolation.  Now it looks like the knee will wait al least a month.  The real bummer is that I might have to miss St Louis national due to rehab timing.  Oh well.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond