FSM Jacob's Coal

Started by deemery, November 17, 2018, 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

Now the limiting factor is set-up blocks, and to a lesser degree workbench space.  I'll probably get the 3rd bin set up later tonight. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Dave

I will be following along - I built this kit a couple years ago and was real happy with the way it turned out - there is a thread here on the forum.  You will never have enough clamps, weights or workbench space.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

ndwolf68

Quote from: S&S RR on November 18, 2018, 08:44:39 PM
You will never have enough clamps, weights or workbench space.

I gotta get me some more - I don't have even as many as Dave's picture!  :o :o :o LOL!

Looking forwarding to seeing your progress, Dave!

R/,
Norm

deemery

When it comes to those 1-handed clamps, buy only the name brand (Irvin).  The others, even the ones I got from Sears a couple years ago, are nowhere near as good.  I use the small ones a lot. 

dave

Lynnb

That must have been a real chore to get all those clamps on each piece without any piece falling out of position.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

deemery

Quote from: Lynnb on November 19, 2018, 01:02:51 PM
That must have been a real chore to get all those clamps on each piece without any piece falling out of position.

The process is to use the angle blocks to get one end into position.  Then I put the two sides on, and square them up with the 1-2-3 blocks.  The other angle block positions the other end.  Now things are held squarely in position, and I can add the clamps.  You can't see it underneath all the junk, but I'm working on top of a piece of glass, so that ensures the base is perfectly flat.

dave

Lynnb

Thanks Dave, I have 4 123 blocks that I have learned to use quite a bit , they have been coming in quite handy.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

deemery

Quote from: Lynnb on November 19, 2018, 04:02:34 PM
Thanks Dave, I have 4 123 blocks that I have learned to use quite a bit , they have been coming in quite handy.

Angle blocks are like clamps, you can't have too many!  I use them for set-up and as weights.

dave

deemery

The bins are assembled, and I'm starting on the trestles underneath the bins.  I have a 1" thick x 8" x 12" piece of balsa.  I put the plans over that, and then wax paper on top to keep glue from sticking.  Balsa sticks and sharp (dressmakers or insect) pins hold everything in place.

And the bents are all done.

dave

jerryrbeach

Dave,

This is coming along very nicely.  Thanks for the great tips on using the 1-2-3 blocks before clamping.  Great tip re: the thick Balsa underneath the plans and then using pins to hold the pieces in alignment when assembling the trestle bents. 

Jerry

postalkarl

Hey Dave:

Looks great so far. Keep the pics flowing.

Karl

ndwolf68

Dave,
Pretty neat trick!  I'll have to keep that in mind, using the wood & wax paper.
Query:  These trestle bents eventually get NBW casting?  I'm not being critical, just curious if that's something that gets added later.

R/,
Norm

deemery

Quote from: ndwolf68 on November 21, 2018, 10:22:54 AM
Dave,
Pretty neat trick!  I'll have to keep that in mind, using the wood & wax paper.
Query:  These trestle bents eventually get NBW casting?  I'm not being critical, just curious if that's something that gets added later.

R/,
Norm
In The Real World, they'd have NBW.  But these'll be mostly hidden underneath the bins.  I'll probably do NBW on the outside bracing, where it's visible.

dave

Jerry

Hey Dave looks real good.  Nice coloring.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision