FSM Jacob's Coal

Started by deemery, November 17, 2018, 08:36:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deemery

A couple years ago I got a good deal on some older Yellow Boxes.  On the current layout, I have 2 different locations where I could put a coal dealer.  So I dug this kit out, in response to the latest challenge.  I can build it in parts, and defer the final assembly until the end.  (The two locations I have require the conveyor to be on opposite sides of the structure.)  I work slowly, so don't expect frequent updates, but this is my attempt to build something for the winter Tom Schwarz build.  (I probably met Tom when I was in Pittsburgh for a couple of their NMRA meets.)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

deemery

I opened the bag (on the right side in the previous photo) for the 3 Big Bins, and started staining that wood.  I'm dipping the pieces in HunterLine Driftwood stain (and I'll probably need at least one more bottle to get all the wood stained.)

After I did the stain on the sheeting, I put some FastTracks jigs on top (nice and level bottom, and the alcohol won't hurt the metal) to try to keep the pieces from warping.

Yup, this kit has A Lot of Sticks.

dave

GPdemayo

Looking forward to your build of this one Dave.....I added it to my stash ages ago because it is a neat looking structure and it is smaller than his other coaling facilities. It fit better into the scene I have planned, especially when I added a small office with a truck scale.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

I have a BEST Saratoga Coal (office/scale building) that I built a while ago that will end up on the layout.  I'll also do some lumber storage racks and maybe an ice house.  Coal, Lumber and Ice often went together.

dave

vinceg

I love watching builds -- always learning something new.

I'll be following.
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

Lynnb

Looking forward to following along, I looked this kit up and found a Jacobs Fuel but not a Jacobs Coal. I have the Iam Dunn Coal dealer to do that I hope to start this winter.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

deemery

First, I sorted the sticks back into bundles by size.  Then I started adding the bracing to the bin sides.

You can't have too many clamps, but sometimes you can't have enough!  There are 12 side pieces for the 3 bins, and I have enough clamps for 6 of them at a time.  The largest pieces were still warped with the 4 outside braces, so I added cross-bracing.

dave

Janbouli

Maybe I'm wrong Dave , but you could either lay each part down with a board and a weight on top of them , or you could clamp each part between 2 boards or other flat panels and thus only needing 1 or 2 clamps.
I love photo's, don't we all.

ACL1504

I have this kit so I'll be following along. Not sure I'll ever build it for space reasons but ya never know.

Yep, you have clamps to spare.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

MAP

I'll be following along on this build as well Dave.  I have a few yellow boxes, but not this one.  Still always something to learn while watching a build of one of these kits.  I am also of the mind that you can't have too many clamps.  I've tried using weights like Janbouli recommended, but sometimes the pieces slide a bit, and you don't find out until it's dry that there's a mismatch.  I do use his idea of using boards or Parallel blocks for stretching across longer pieces, although I do use larger clamps to reach the center as you're doing.
Mark

jerryrbeach

Dave,

I'll be following because I love George's kits and also because I learn something new when I read through your threads on the other forum.
Jerry

NEMMRRC

This is a great old kit and it is HUGE. I built it for rebel a few years back. I wonder did he ever put it on his layout. I followed Sellios' instructions on how to weather the structure. It called for using oil paints thinned with turpentine or mineral spirits if I recall. The effect was really nice even though it stunk up my den. Given there are three identical large bins it can get repetitive and tedious. I had fun building it. I didn't get to build the whole diorama as I shipped it to rebel all the way to California in several pieces. That was a challenge in itself.

I'm interested to see how you fit it into your layout. It takes up a huge amount of real estate.

Jaime

deemery

Quote from: Janbouli on November 18, 2018, 05:23:54 AM
Maybe I'm wrong Dave , but you could either lay each part down with a board and a weight on top of them , or you could clamp each part between 2 boards or other flat panels and thus only needing 1 or 2 clamps.

I've done that on other kits.  But you run the risk of the parts slipping, and that's happened to me several times.  After the glue has started to set, placing them underneath a weight and recovering my clamps would work.  But at the speed I go, doing 6 walls in one evening is about right :-(

The thing that makes this kit so big is the sloped elevator/conveyor structure.  I thought about doing a different elevator, maybe something more vertical.  I'll build that part last, so I'll defer any re-engineering until then. 

dave

NEMMRRC

The footprint referenced in the instructions I believe is 13 in. by 19 in. where 19 in. is the direction of the slanted conveyor. If you could model the conveyor off the layout or with a more vertical solution you could fit this in roughly one square foot.

Jaime