Fine Scale Miniatures Jewel Series #10 Avram's Bakery for the S&S RR

Started by ReadingBob, January 04, 2019, 02:08:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Time to start another Fine Scale Miniatures build.  This one will be Avram's Bakery and I'll be building it for John (S&S RR) to include on his Superior & Seattle Railroad.   :D  I know you've all seen Avram's built both here and on the old forum but, if you'd like, you can tag along on this adventure as well. 

This is not part of the Tom Schwarz Build Challenge.  I don't expect to finish it by the deadline for the challenge so I have a smaller build going on concurrent with this one.

Let's start with the box and it's contents.

Include in the box is a large sheet of color photo's that will really come in handy during the build.

Then there are those wonderful detail castings along with lots of strip wood.

Walls corrugated aluminum sheets and other assorted goodies.

Lots of templates and roof cards.   :o

And, of course, signs!  ;D

A little more in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

ReadingBob

First thing I tend to do in a build is clean up and prep the castings for paintings.  For the plastic castings this involve removing them from their sprues using a sprue cutter.

I clean up the edges (although the sprue cutter does a pretty good job) using an emery board.  Just a couple of swipes is all that's needed.

The metal castings require very little clean up.  I use files, emery boards, sanding sticks, etc. to clean up anything that needs to be cleaned up but there really isn't much to do here.

In the off chance I find a bigger chunk that would take a while to file away I use an old pair of rail nippers to knock of the biggest part of it before filing it down flat.

Skipping ahead little bit.  I put everything I want to airbrush on a metal tray using some strips of painters tape taped upside down (sticky side up).  I've already done that and primed everything.  At this point I picked out the parts that I want to paint specific colors with the airbrush and grouped them together along with a not as to what color I want to use.  When I paint them this way I'll use paper towels to cover up the parts that I don't want painted the current color I have loaded in the airbrush.

That's pretty much where I'm at at the moment.  This will be a marathon rather than a sprint but I'll update it as I make progress.

Thanks for following along!  8)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

vinceg

I'm always in for an RB (Reading Bob) build! Learn something every time.....
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

ACL1504

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

It doesn't get any better than this build. ;)  I will be following along with great interest.  I already have the spot picked on my layout. It will be right next to the aisle - up front, where all Bob's builds belong. The Threadwell's build that I'm working on now will be in the background overlooking this area of the layout. Bob talked to me about this build a couple years ago at the EXPO, we were at the F&SM admiring George Sellois' work, and I have been anticipating it ever since. This is going to be fun!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

jimmillho

Bob, I always follow anything you build, and I seem to learn something new every time.

Jim

Opa George

Dave K.

Love this kit...my first (only, so far) FSM build. Another great thread to follow!

MAP

Always a fun learning experience following along in one of your builds. 
Mark

postalkarl

Hi Bob:

This is a beautiful kit. Frank Bernard and I test built them for George before they were released. Have fun with it. Also built one recently for my friend Jon's layout.

Karl

ReadingBob

(Hope I don't miss anyone) Vince, Tom, Curt, John, Jim, George, Dave, Mark and Karl,

Thanks for posting and following along.   :D  This one certainly looks like it's going to be a lot of fun.  I hope to finish it before June.  If the planets all line up just right I'll take it with me when I drive up to  PA in June to visit my family and leave it at my brothers house.  Then, if the EXPO is going to be held in PA (still waiting to hear where it's going to be) I can fly up, visit my brother and drive it over to the EXPO where, hopefully, I can meet up with John and he can take possession of it.  Whew...that's a lot of things that have to line up just right for that to happen.  If not I'll have to ship it to John when I'm finished with it.  First things first.  I have to finish it before June.   :o 
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

postalkarl

Bob:

Would You like me to post A few finished pics on your thread?

Lynnb

Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net