Blair Line Greene's Feed & Seed

Started by Oldguy, December 21, 2019, 10:17:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldguy

While I was winding down from the Butler bins and waiting for Goo, I wanted something relatively simple that I needed, so this was it.

Typical laser cut kit with about 10 steps.  This one I will build stock.

It has adhesive back paper prints for the roof.  The siding is somewhat unique, in that Dale has laser cut it board ends, nail holes, knots, etc.  Among the parts included are some of the best looking wood pallets that I have seen.  He even laser cut a jig to aid in making the stairs

Although its shape reminds me of structure that I have seen in the deep south, it'll work for me.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

The material is fairly thin, so I decided this would be a good kit not to use any paint.  The yellow is Bragdon's Old Yeller powder.  All  of the other colors are also Bragdon powders.

The windows are the typical separate sashes and applied acetate.  The wax pencils work great for these small parts. For these kits, I have found it easier to glue in the lower sashes first, let set, and then flip the wall over and add the upper sashes.  When those have set up, then it is just a matter of adding the exterior trim.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

While waiting for the windows to dry, I tackled the stairs.  There is a nice little diagram showing the placement of the stringers,  I did have to widen the jig slots a bit to get the risers to set even.

Then it was time to add the walls.  To keep the floor flat, I use a magnetic gluing table and cabinet magnets.  There is a square section of the floor that can be cut out, but absolutely no mention of its purpose.  It would greatly ease in adding interior lighting.

One caution in adding the tabbed walls - a couple of the tabs were deeper than the slot which keeps the wall section from fully seating using the glue jig.  A quick sand and problem solved.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

So, while the walls are drying, it was on to the pallets.    The stringers are cut loose, sanded as necessary and then using guide marks, they are glued on to the top deck boards.  Leaving the top deck boards on the fret made this really easy.  Once the glue has set over nite, the pallets are cut loose.

I was then able to add the roof deck material and weigh it all down.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

NEMMRRC

That is some SERIOUS weighing down.

It's nice to have jigs helping you glue stuff correctly.

Jaime

Oldguy

Jaime, I agree.If I got 'em, might as well use 'em.

I managed to add the trim boards, roofing, and piers.  One of the down sides to use chalk, powders, or pastels for coloring wood, id that they all do a lousy job at laser burnt edges.

Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Janbouli

Love the colors and the roof is super.
I love photo's, don't we all.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ReadingBob

Ditto, ditto and ditto what Curt, Greg and Jan said about the roofing.  The rest is looking pretty darn nice too.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Oldguy

I'm glad ya'll like the roofing.  It's a kit-provided print.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Oldguy

I got around to adding the kit to a base.  Now I can add the steps and dock. 

I really like the pallets.  Too bad Dale doesn't offer these separately.  I must mention that other details like grain/seed bags are included and some will be placed on a pallet or two.  But not quite ready to do this at this time.

I needed a quick decent kit and this was it. 
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Opa George

I'm coming in on the end of this, but like your results. Super job, Bob.
--George