The Atlantic & Southern Saturday Report

Started by Judge, January 05, 2019, 03:59:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Judge on June 23, 2019, 04:18:42 PM
John - Are you able to post photos?  I am following Tom Langford's instructions to the "T" and it has always (or at least most of the time) worked before.  Now I am unable to attach photos.

I will try your suggestion on saving text.  Sounds like a winner.

Judge

I'm glad we solved part of the problem.  Is Tom having you add your pictures to the gallery and then copy the BB code into your post?  This is the way I post pictures and I'm pretty sure Tom is doing the same.  I did have a problem with picture size with the new server but resolved that issue with decreasing the resolution of my pictures before I try to add them to the gallery.  Let me know if Tom has you using the gallery and we will go from there.  Good luck!
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

Quote from: Judge on June 17, 2019, 04:31:25 PM
Deemery -   Do you know why the RR needs a track sweeper??

May it please the court, we'd like to offer the following into evidence:  https://www.cnn.com/2019/06/24/asia/japan-high-speed-train-slug-intl-hnk/index.html

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Quote from: S&S RR on June 23, 2019, 07:44:36 PM
Quote from: Judge on June 23, 2019, 04:18:42 PM
John - Are you able to post photos?  I am following Tom Langford's instructions to the "T" and it has always (or at least most of the time) worked before.  Now I am unable to attach photos.

I will try your suggestion on saving text.  Sounds like a winner.

Judge

I'm glad we solved part of the problem.  Is Tom having you add your pictures to the gallery and then copy the BB code into your post?  This is the way I post pictures and I'm pretty sure Tom is doing the same.  I did have a problem with picture size with the new server but resolved that issue with decreasing the resolution of my pictures before I try to add them to the gallery.  Let me know if Tom has you using the gallery and we will go from there.  Good luck!

John,

I've shown the Judge the gallery and the BB code several times. I'm not sure what the problem is.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

John, Tom, et al.  Happy Days!  I finally got the photos posted with the Engine Watchman story.  I think it was my internet connection that caused the problem.  I've been without cable TV for 4 days and my internet is spotty.  Take a look at the photos and you will understand why Newt was so upset after the conductor suggested using the coal loader.

S&S RR

Quote from: Judge on June 24, 2019, 01:47:28 PM
John, Tom, et al.  Happy Days!  I finally got the photos posted with the Engine Watchman story.  I think it was my internet connection that caused the problem.  I've been without cable TV for 4 days and my internet is spotty.  Take a look at the photos and you will understand why Newt was so upset after the conductor suggested using the coal loader.

Judge

Great news, great story, and great pictures.  Thanks again for this wonderful thread.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Judge

John - You are more than welcome.  I really enjoy posting these little stories. 

ACL1504

John,

Thanks for all your help with the Judge. If you think his railroad stories are great you should hear some of the Vietnam stories.

I get a little hint of what the stories will be but not the whole story until it's posted.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Bill,

Glad you got the photos up. BTW, my internet went down yesterday and this morning. Bright House said they are upgrading in some areas but didn't say where.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Judge

There is no Saturday Report this week due to the Babe's monthly trek to Mt. Dora.  I will be traveling that way this morning also.  My wife, Cindy, wants to have lunch at a restaurant there named The Goblin.  Don't ask me why.

This week's story has a basis in fact from one of my cases I handled years ago.  Here goes -

TAHOPE CODE TALKERS

One of the more disreputable vagabonds living in The Bottoms is a tramp named "Wormy."  Wormy fled the Jenkins County Sheriff in Jaw-Ja several months ago and managed to catch a rattler (freight train)to sunny Florida.  He lives in a hut constructed of cast-off lumber and parts he found in a trash heap.  His hut is located next to Short Stack's lean-to.
    Everybody who claims permanent residence in The Bottoms has a job to perform for the good of the camp.  Wormy is the camp scavenger.  It is his job to scout around the local area looking for tid-bits that he can acquire through begging or theft as a contribution to the Mulligan Stew; or, on good days, some white lightning from the idle folk who have a still in Piney Woods.
    One summer afternoon in 1950, pickins were slim and the Mulligan Stew was wanting for edibles.  Wormy hot-footed it over to the Atlantic & Southern's commissary to see if there was anything useful in the garbage.  No luck there, so he slipped into the back door of the building and grabbed himself a large ham and a chicken.  He tried to exit through the back door but was recognized by one of the employees.  He hid the stolen ham and chicken next to one of the garbage cans near the back door and tried to make his getaway.  He was soon apprehended by Officer Poovey of the Tahope Police Department and given a ride to the Police Station. 
    Short Stack learned of Wormy's detention and traveled to the Police Station for a visit and to find out where Wormy stashed the vittles he stole from the commissary.  One of the police officers stood by in the visiting area while Wormy and Short Stack had their conversation.  The officer made sure he was close enough to overhear what they were saying.  Short Stack whispered a suggestion that they speak to each other in code to avoid detection.  The code they chose was "Pig Latin."  The conversation went as follows:

Short Stack:  Id-day ou-yay et-gay uff-stay or-fay e-they ew-stay?
    Wormy:  Es-yay.  I-yay id-hay it-yay ear-nay e-they arbage-gay an-cay.
    Jailer:  I-yay eak-spay ig-pay atlin-lay and you are both are going to ail-jay.

Well, the culprits were booked and when their court date arrived they appeared before Judge Elvin P. Thomas.  Attorney Marvin Bellow was present in the courtroom, but he did not represent the defendants because neither of them had his $10.00 fee. 
    Both defendants pled guilty to the petty therft charges and Judge Thomas sentenced them to 60 days in jail.  As they left the courtroom in handcuffs, Wormy said to Short Stack, "Ext-nay ime-tay ick-pay a-yay etter-bay ode-cay."
    As they say, "ime-cray oesn't-day  a-pay"

ReadingBob

At-gray ory-stay Udg-jay!

We hit the Goblin Market any time we spend a weekend in Mt. Dora.  We're also fond of the Windsor Rose Tea Room and Cafe Gianni.  :D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

I love the burgers at the Goblin's Market. The ones you can eat and not the ones you can pick.

Well, I guess you could eat both. ??? ???

Tom 8)
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

I'll agree with the gang....Goblin Market is one of our favorites in Mt. Dora also..... 8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Judge

July 5, 2019 Saturday Report

The early morning was taken up with running a freight train powered by 2-8-2 # 835, a USRA PFM model that was originally acquired in May, 1978.  It has lasted longer than the prototype and pulled 12 freight cars and a brass caboose up the ovalix with ease.

We had four visitors in mid-morning, including regulars Greg DeMayo, Curt Webb, and Bob Butts.   A new addition to the mix was Rollin Smith from Zellwood, Florida.  We enjoyed a major bull session while your reporter ran 835 around The Midlands.  We all went to lunch at Smokey Bones and returned to watch Greg play engineer running the C&O's George Washington around the layout at Summit. 

A good time was had by all.

This week's story will be familiar to anyone who has had to put up with a snot nosed kid who has just been hired as the boss.

The Stolen Donuts

Anybody who works for the A&S Railroad knows the management hired this Assistant Superintendent from Tahope named Mr. Dyer (a lot of people who live in Tahope have medieval occupations as last names.)  Mr. Dyer was right out of college and a stickler for the rules.  He was the kind of a guy who couldn't handle a little power and authority without it going to his head.  He would drive next to the track beside an engine in downtown Tahope and write up an engineer for going a few miles over the speed limit. 
    There was a brakeman named Wally Weaver (Remember him?  He married the President's daughter).  Wally and Mr. Dyer did not see eye-to-eye on a single thing when it came to running a railroad.  Mr. Dyer went out of his way to call Wally on the carpet for minor infractions.  Here is an example of the trouble Wally had with MR. Dyer as told by Wally himself.

"Well, one day ACL 835 was heading a drag freight into the Sanlando yard when it derailed with all eight drivers on the ground and the first three freight cars jack knifed accordian-like behind it.  There we were an hour before having to go on the law in drizzling rain and a mess that would take hours to clean up.  I was hind shack on this drag and the wreck caused the crummy quite a jolt. 
    We wuz havin' quite  problem in those days with somebody stealing our donuts.  We took turns bringin' a dozen each morning before the run and ate them with our coffee.  The donuts were stored on a rack next to the cupola.  By the time we tied down each evening there were always two or three donuts missing from the box and we couldn't figure out who was such a low down cuss that would steal them.
    Finally, the conductor, Capt'n Tanner, got the idea to buy some Ex-lax and melt it down to look like chocolate and spread it on top of some of the donuts.
    When the wreck happened, Capt'n Tanner had to walk up to the engine to take charge of the situation until the wrecking crew arrived.  I stayed in the crummy where it was dry.  Soon after the wreck happened, Mr. Dyer climbed into the crummy and proceeded to call me out because I had not walked a half mile behind the crummy to protect the rear of the train.  There was no danger because the yard switcher had cleared the mainline and we were well into the yard. Why do they make these college boys Assistant Superintendents?  They don't know an angle cock from a side rod.
    After he finished chewing my hind parts, Mr. Dyer spotted the box of donuts and calmed down.  He said, "Wally, Do you mind if I have a donut?"  I said, Sure, Mr. Dyer,, take all you want.  He took the three chocolate ones and ate them right then and there.  We walked up to the engine to see if the wrecking crew had arrived.  It wasn't but a few minutes when Mr. Dyer said he must be excused and disappeared, never to be seen again that evening.
    When I told Capt'n Tanner about the incident, he laughed as though his sides would split and said "It couldn't have happened to a nicer guy." 
    You know, we never did figure out who was stealing the donuts.  But it never happened again."