2020 Build Challenge - House On The Hill

Started by NEMMRRC, January 01, 2020, 08:11:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

Thanks for all the feedback.

I found a cool tutorial from Jason Jensen on YouTube about making plastic look like wood. This is it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=voI7WcnkxAE

I saw that a few months back. I wanted to try those techniques. And I fortuitously came across this kit while at the initial Craftsman Courtyard in Timonium.

The trick is to give the plastic walls the texture of wood using some tools to scratch the plastic. I used a razor saw and some 150 grit sandpaper as in the video. I also went and found the same paints that Jason used on the video (for the most part).

I'll le the video linked above do the talking. For now here is a sample of what I am ending up with:

There is no rhyme or reason to how I did this. I just took a mixture of all the paints and slathered them on randomly on the walls -- in the direction of the wood grain simulated on the walls --, heed that.

By the way, I have chosen to use Apple Barrel Sandstone as my trim color (that was not on the video).

Give it a try.

More as it develops.

Jaime

Mark Dalrymple

That technique is quite effective, Jaime.  It reminds me a bit of Troels Kirk's technique.

Steady hand on the trim!

Cheers, Mark.

hairball

Are you applying the folk art paint with the small pointed tip brush , one clapboard at a time.

Try a stiffer 1/2" wide brush and go side to side ONCE ONLY , per paint load in brush.

mike lynch............... HAIRBALL

NEMMRRC

Quote from: mark dalrymple on January 02, 2020, 08:03:35 PM
That technique is quite effective, Jaime.  It reminds me a bit of Troels Kirk's technique.

Steady hand on the trim!

Cheers, Mark.
I try my best at the tiny details but I need more practice.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: hairball on January 02, 2020, 08:36:41 PM
Are you applying the folk art paint with the small pointed tip brush , one clapboard at a time.

Try a stiffer 1/2" wide brush and go side to side ONCE ONLY , per paint load in brush.

mike lynch............... HAIRBALL
The technique calls to highlight random boards individually with a small brush. Otherwise, a regular brush is used to cover the walls. I find the less defined one does this it helps with the randomness. I'm just futzing around figuring out what works for me. Your suggestion of brushing sideways once only with each color is a good one.

Jaime

Rail and Tie

Great start Jaime!

How would you rate the quality of the detail and finish of the kit?  I have been thinking about buying one of these. Sometimes the mobius tooling / molds are a little weak when it comes to trim work etc.
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

NEMMRRC

Quote from: Rail and Tie on January 04, 2020, 12:43:14 PM
Great start Jaime!

How would you rate the quality of the detail and finish of the kit?  I have been thinking about buying one of these. Sometimes the mobius tooling / molds are a little weak when it comes to trim work etc.
The detail is very crisp and there is almost no flash to clean. There are a bunch of separate ornamental architectural details to be applied. The cornices on the walls are very nice. The shingling on the roofs is very detailed and highly defined. The kit includes a really nice brick foundation for the house. For the price it is a great kit.

Perhaps the only drawback is you will have to deal with the cast-on windows and doors. And, even though my kit claims to come with glazing for the windows, it does not.

Charlie Getz did a review of this very kit in the latest Gazette. He seemed to have a similar experience as I am having.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

So far the only mistake I have found in the kit is the brick wrap on the house's foundation. The instructions depicts the parts upside down. However, the parts only fit the correct way. So, the instruction's mistake is not a deal breaker.

Note how the brick wrap (right) and the trellis (left) don't quite match. In the photo above the brick is correct. The trellis is not. Alas, my trellis was already glued in place real good before I discovered the mistake. Oh well, no biggie, there will likely be overgrow bushes around all that once finished.

More as it develops.

Jaime

deemery

Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Rail and Tie

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 04, 2020, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: deemery on January 04, 2020, 04:10:45 PM
Clearly, you need a shrubbery!    Bring Me a Shrubbery - Monty Python - Longer Version               

dave
May I please have back my 4.5 minutes lol
Jaime

Knights that say "Ni"!!

Thanks for the review of the kit Jaime. I will be foraging for one...
Darryl Jacobs
Inter-Action Hobbies
www.interactionhobbies.com

Opa George

Quote from: Rail and Tie on January 04, 2020, 10:06:13 PM
Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 04, 2020, 04:19:33 PM
Quote from: deemery on January 04, 2020, 04:10:45 PM
Clearly, you need a shrubbery!    Bring Me a Shrubbery - Monty Python - Longer Version               

dave
May I please have back my 4.5 minutes lol
Jaime

Knights that say "Ni"!!

Thanks for the review of the kit Jaime. I will be foraging for one...

Note the suggested next kit:  Roger the Shrubber

NEMMRRC

A nursery in HO would make for a nice kit.

Moving right along....

The kit gives the modeler the option to build the house on a hill (thus the kit's name) or not. I decided to take the the option.

While paint on the walls dries, I knocked out the stairway leading up the hill to the house.

The parts required to build the stairway.

The instructions on how to assemble the stairway.

I cleaned off what little flash there was on the parts and laid them all out so I could dry fit the whole thing before gluing it together.

This kit is built with a version of "tab and slot". Thus, it all goes together easiely and you cannot assemble it wrong. Plus, it gives the modeler a lot more surface area when it comes time to glue stuff.

I made sure to assemble the parts on top of a level surface.

And here is the stairway when glued together.

And this is how it fits into the base that comes with the kit.

I will need to build me a small hill once I get the scenery portion of the build. For now I will not glue the stairway to the base.

By the way, the kit is made in China.

Polar Lights has this one Vicrtorian house based on Psycho and another based on the Adams Family.

More as it develops.

Jaime

JimF

Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 05, 2020, 03:55:28 PM

https://severnmodels.com/epages/eshop1179816.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1179816/Products/D.7

Here ya go. Would be a bit large, being OO scale, but not terribly so, I don't think :)

Build is looking really good, Jaime.

Jim

NEMMRRC

Quote from: JimF on January 05, 2020, 06:22:01 PM
Quote from: NEMMRRC on January 05, 2020, 03:55:28 PM

https://severnmodels.com/epages/eshop1179816.sf/en_GB/?ObjectPath=/Shops/eshop1179816/Products/D.7

Here ya go. Would be a bit large, being OO scale, but not terribly so, I don't think :)

Build is looking really good, Jaime.

Jim
That's a nice model right there.

Time to paint the architectural details. There is a number of wrought iron looking like details. I painted then with Apple Barrel Sandstone to match the trim on the house.

The model includes a tar paper roof with tar paper already molded on the roof. There is plenty of texture to it. I wanted to make my roof to look moldy and slimy.

I used Americana Avocado and Folk Art Raw Umber.

Time to watch some more paint drying....

More as it develops.

Jaime