B&O RR 2-8-0 painting - B&O Guy will like this one.

Started by ACL1504, March 29, 2020, 05:55:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Off on my second brass painting adventure. This one is an B&O RR. E-27 class consolidation. This model was made by Atlas and imported by PFM in 1975. PFM imported a total of 2601 of these between 1967 and 1975. The 1967 model sold new for $55.00 and the 1975 model sold for $180.00. This model, the 1975 version has plastic brake shoes.

Our resident B&O Guy, Chip Stevens, will probably watch this one. 

I have already taken it apart and forgot to take a loco photo. Here is the 1969 version from the 13th Edition of the PFM catalog.

Two years ago I installed DCC WOW sound and have removed the decoder. Many years ago I also installed a new 20 X 32mm Sagami can motor. I've never had a problem with the PFM gear boxes so I left this one as is.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I removed all the parts as shown below. I'll refer to this photo tomorrow for some added information on taking brass locos apart.

The loco has been stripped and cleaned in an Acetone bath and is now ready for painting. I'll get to the painting tomorrow.

Continued -
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

In the catalog photo above, the decals appear white but the B&O used Delux Gold lettering. The photo may be correct but the photography may have it appear white.

About year out from Champ Decal Company closing, I order three sets of all the decals I thought I may need or use. I was winding down my customer base brass painting and didn't want to be caught short. I did the same with Floquil and Scalecoat paints.

I did get decals for all the brass locos I had at the time. Since then, I've sold off a considerable amount of the brass but still have the decals. I gave a set of decals for the locos I sold.

More tomorrow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I've done several paint jobs on this forum and the other forum and there is one thing I haven't covered. Not sure why, but I just haven't.

The information I'm about to give is critical if you have a an old/older brass loco and you are considering jumping in and giving it a paint job and or taking it apart.

Just like the prototype, a model brass loco with considerable running time develops a wear pattern. The side rods and side rod screws over time get worn to a certain pattern. So, when taking it apart make very sure you have the parts set aside just as they were removed from the loco. The critical part is to put it back the way it came apart. You definitely want the wear pattern to stay the same.

From experience, I can say it isn't fun to try to figure what side rod goes where when it it back together and running like the old dog with a severe limp.

This B&O loco came out in 1975 and has been run with both DC and last year TCS WOW sound. It does have a wear pattern. I've owned it since 1976.

In the photo below you can see I have all the side rods, main rods, journal springs, brake shoes and eccentric crank and reversing rods on the same side as they were removed.

You also want the drivers in the same order. On this loco the driver with the gear and the main driver are pretty easy to get correct. However, the front and rear drivers are the same and came easily get switched.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Fast forward here and I'm ready to reassemble the loco starting with the frame and all that goes onto it. I'm almost putting it back in the order it was all removed, but not quite. I'll cover that when I get to it.

I painted the loco, baked the paint and when cool sprayed on a coat of semi-flat and then baked that coat as well. My semi-flat makes it look used but not necessarily abused.

With a Q-tip dipped into Acetone, I removed the paint from the journal openings and the bottom of the frame.

I then reinstalled the plastic brake shoes. These I removed as I didn't want to bake them. Some plastic shoes won't melt and some do, no chance taken here. I left the brake shoes loose and will tighten them after the four drivers are installed.

The brake shoes weren't painted as they will get weathered later. The brass screw heads will be touched up later as well.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

BandOGuy

And on the same day Pennsylvania decided to reopen the State stores for home delivery! Does it get any better?
Thanks for thinking of me Tom. I've quickly realized two things:
The dismantling scares the daylights out of me.
I'd better learn a whole lot here, as actually painting the loco and re-assembling this jewel also scares the     out of me. I guess I could leave it in pieces for my estate to worry about it if all else fails.
Bye the bye Tom, you don't by any chance have a Reading T-1 waiting in the wings? I know ReadingBob might also be interested.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

ACL1504

This next photo show the front driver being installed after the front journal springs were set in place.

The frame base plate was then screwed in place. At this time is when I added one drop of Labelee #108 oil to each of the axles at the journals. Eight journals and eight oil drops. You don't want to over oil the axles as rest assured it will find its way to the paint.

I did a glass roll test and all was nice and smooth with no binds.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: BandOGuy on April 02, 2020, 06:32:09 PM

And on the same day Pennsylvania decided to reopen the State stores for home delivery! Does it get any better?
Thanks for thinking of me Tom. I've quickly realized two things:
I'd better learn a whole lot here, as actually painting the loco and re-assembling this jewel also scares the     out of me. I guess I could leave it in pieces for my estate to worry about it if all else fails.
Bye the bye Tom, you don't by any chance have a Reading T-1 waiting in the wings? I know ReadingBob might also be interested.

Chip,

You are very welcome. I remember my first brass paint job. After taking a NWSL USRA 0-6-0 apart to paint and getting it all back together, I thought, "Is this it, it wasn't as hard or as scary as I first thought."

Reading Bob has a BLI T-1 I weathered but I don't think he has a brass one.

If you have yours apart and can't get it back together, send it to me and I'll put it back together for you.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

This is the part where I changed from the reassembly order. At this time is when I would normally reattach the side rods and side rods screws.

Instead, I installed the pilot assembly.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I next attached the steam chest and cylinders. The brass screw holds the steam chest and the pilot in place.

The clearance where the frame forks fit into the bottom of the pilot was so close it was necessary for me to scrap some paint off the forks. It won't show but I'll touch this up with paint as well.

I then added the side and main rods to the drivers.

I'll add more of the assembly tomorrow. Thanks for ya'll following.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I forgot to mention the catalog photo I first showed of the B&O 2-8-0 has the cab number of 2803.

According to my B&O RR steam roster, there never was a 2803 on the E27 class consolidation. In fact none of the B&O 2-8-0 locos carried the number 2803.

Just so you know.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Quote from: BandOGuy on April 02, 2020, 06:32:09 PM

I don't think taking one of these apart would scare me at all.  ::)  Putting it back together again, on the other hand.... :o

As Tom mentioned I have a beautifully weathered BLI Reading T1.  It has been a while since it has had the change to stretch its legs though.  Looks like it's going to be a little while longer to.   :'(

The only brass engine I own is a small camel back that I bought from Jim Miller years ago.  It's not a quality piece though and doesn't even look like a match to any I can find in my Reading books.  But hey, I can say I own a brass engine.   ;D

As usual this is a fascinating thread Tom.  Nothing I'll ever tackle but fun to follow along none the less.
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

NKP768

Nice job on this one Tom - are using the Scalecoat on the driver faces as well?
Doug

GPdemayo

This recent addition to your thread is the exact reason I don't want to mess with brass locos. Like Bob, it's the putting back together that is my big problem.  :-[

As a kid, I loved taking things apart to see how they were made, but I always had 1 or 2 pieces (or more) left over when it was reassembled. That's why I never got involved with mechanical things like cars.....I wanted to live to be an adult, which would not have happened if I took things apart in my car and then tried to drive it afterwards. Same for a home made airplane, except someone besides me, on the ground, might meet an untimely demise when the plane falls out of the sky.  :(

As an adult, I can cause a residential or commercial building, with thousands of parts, to be put together, but I still don't want to mess with a pricey brass engine.

I'll leave that to experts like you..... ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

bparrish

Greg.....

You said that often you had parts left over................... did it work when you got it back together ? ? ?

If yes then the thing had too many parts to start with.

see.............. simple

see y a
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?