Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

vinceg

Fox Run looks fantastic, John. Glad you finally have the beams out there under the upper extension, now. It has been cantilevered out there for many months, now. I have been worried that one of the workers would call the building inspector and create trouble....
Vince

Protolancing the Illinois Central Chicago District from Chicago to Kankakee

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on April 16, 2020, 09:37:25 PM
Coming on nicely, John.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you, trying to make a little progress each day.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: vinceg on April 17, 2020, 08:20:07 AM
Fox Run looks fantastic, John. Glad you finally have the beams out there under the upper extension, now. It has been cantilevered out there for many months, now. I have been worried that one of the workers would call the building inspector and create trouble....

Vince

Thank you, the building inspector is now happy - a few more days and we should get an occupancy permit.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

Just amazing work. And you know what I saw that I use on my models. Cap shingles on your roofs. So much better than folded paper. Where do you get those Model Color paints from?

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on April 17, 2020, 10:02:05 AM
Hey John:

Just amazing work. And you know what I saw that I use on my models. Cap shingles on your roofs. So much better than folded paper. Where do you get those Model Color paints from?

Karl

Hi Karl

Yup - the cap shingles are much better looking and prototypical.

I bought the original set of paints from Micro Mart a few years back. I have been buying the replacements off Amazon because I can buy single colors at a time (not sets).  One word on these paints - as Brett Gallant pointed out - they dry a little to shinny for some applications - so I usually dust them down with Rembrandt Soft Pastels. If you go back to my last dozen or so builds that is the process I have used.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I received the track pieces and turnouts that I need to complete the track changes in the Eagles Nest Yard, yesterday.  So I think I'm going to wrap that project up today. I also have lots of fences under construction on my workbench for the Fox Run build.  I think it will be time for some more progress pictures this evening.
John Siekirk

deemery

Fences are "High ROI".  They're easy to do, and they can make a significant difference in how a scene looks. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

cuse

I agree with Dave about the fences. Those Bar Mills Insta Fence kits, in particular, are so easy and effective. You can easily divide a scene, control viewing angles, inject a little color and/or add interest with signs or damage. Return on investment is a great way to put it.

Your layout is incredible John!

John

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 18, 2020, 11:23:15 AM
Fences are "High ROI".  They're easy to do, and they can make a significant difference in how a scene looks. 

dave

Dave

I agree, I remember when I added the fences to my Brambell's build.  I have a little experiment going on - I'm going to build the fences on the template cards for the Fox Run build and then use some of the pre-made plastic fences and try to weather them up and see what they look like beside the wood scratch built fences. I have seen George Sellios do amazing things to make plastic look like wood. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: cuse on April 18, 2020, 11:40:04 AM
I agree with Dave about the fences. Those Bar Mills Insta Fence kits, in particular, are so easy and effective. You can easily divide a scene, control viewing angles, inject a little color and/or add interest with signs or damage. Return on investment is a great way to put it.

Your layout is incredible John!

John

I have a internet search project for tonight - Bar Mills insta fences? I don't remember seeing them.  Are they wood or plastic?  Laser cut wood?  ROI is good! I have a lot of fences to make for this layout.
John Siekirk