Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

The base boards for the Brick Roundhouse were cut and made their way to my workbenches. Before I fastened them to the workbenches I did some experimenting with painting techniques.  A few questions had to be asked: Do I want to paint each casting and then assemble them?  Or do I want to paint the assembly?  What will fit in the paint booth? Do I plan on painting them outside?

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Here the baseboards on the workbenches waiting for the fun to begin.  I have a lot of castings to prepare!

The small roundhouse - four stalls.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on April 18, 2020, 08:09:57 PM
That's one heck of a roundhouse. Dennis

Yes - the size makes for some build issues that I need to get managed before I start gluing.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Well today, the baseboard was back on the layout - getting every one of the floor castings lined up with the center of the turntable is a difficult task. My first attempt on the workbench had the roundhouse growing by a 1/4 of an inch, by the time I got to the eleventh casting. Even though they came out of the same mold they are all a little different in size.  A little different times 11 equals a 1/4 inch in this case. This is why I didn't become a chemical engineer. Different batch of resin, different cooling rate, etc. etc.  We will get there with a little sanding here and there.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

I still like it, The right man is on the job.............Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

hey John:

I'm following along and I'm sure you will solve any problems that show up. Keep up the good work.

Karl

bparrish

John.....

Looks like a grad thesis in trigonometry.

Really cool

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

deemery

I remember a similar set of calculations/layout with my old CM Roundhouse (on the previous forum.)  The plaster castings weren't precise, my fit wasn't quite perfect, and the resulting angles were slightly off.  I did similar layout things with yardsticks to determine the proper center for the turntable and then the length of the leads from the TT to the roundhouse tracks. 

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: Dennis Bourey on April 19, 2020, 09:53:53 PM
I still like it, The right man is on the job.............Dennis

Dennis

Thank you for your confidence - we will see how this works out. ;)
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on April 20, 2020, 03:38:27 AM
hey John:

I'm following along and I'm sure you will solve any problems that show up. Keep up the good work.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along - this is the first big test of resin castings for me.  My Stone Roundhouse was with hydrocal castings - and I didn't have this issue. I will get it worked out but it will take some time.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on April 20, 2020, 03:41:25 AM
John.....

Looks like a grad thesis in trigonometry.

Really cool

thanx
Bob

So far I have used trigonometry, geometry, chemistry, and some language skills I learned in the shop. :-[  Actually is a cool - challenging project.  Thank you for following along.
John Siekirk

sdrees

I had a similar situation recently when I installed my roundhouse.  I already had the turntable installed, then I built the roundhouse, and then had a hell of a time lining up the roundhouse with the turntable.  But I finally got it figures out.  My wife was telling me about my language skills when this was going on.  but it worked
Steve Drees
SP RR

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 20, 2020, 10:32:56 AM
I remember a similar set of calculations/layout with my old CM Roundhouse (on the previous forum.)  The plaster castings weren't precise, my fit wasn't quite perfect, and the resulting angles were slightly off.  I did similar layout things with yardsticks to determine the proper center for the turntable and then the length of the leads from the TT to the roundhouse tracks. 

dave

Dave

I remember that build thread.  You did a great job - I wonder if it is till available? I have decided to get all the tracks pointed at the center of the turntable and trim the castings as required. It is amazing how much difference there is in castings that came out of the same mold. If you were building a three stall roundhouse the difference wouldn't matter. The bigger the roundhouse gets the more the error buildup affects the build. I'm still wondering what I will run up against when I start putting the walls together.
John Siekirk