Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on April 20, 2020, 10:35:12 PM
I had a similar situation recently when I installed my roundhouse.  I already had the turntable installed, then I built the roundhouse, and then had a hell of a time lining up the roundhouse with the turntable.  But I finally got it figures out.  My wife was telling me about my language skills when this was going on.  but it worked

Steve

It seems to be a very common problem with roundhouses. My solution is to install the track on the resin bases and make sure that they all meet at the center of the turntable before I start gluing them to the baseboard. As for the language skills - I have to constantly work on mine - especially now that I have Grandchildren around.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

deemery

The old forum is on Archive.orghttps://web.archive.org/web/20101124082531/http://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1007 

The idea to align the centerline of the roundhouse front to the turntable center, and then build the rest of the model around them, is the right one.  I kinda reverse engineered that, by projecting the center line of the tracks back towards the roundhouse, and then picking the "average center" where the lines aligned.  I gave a bit of extra weighting in my "calculation" to the lines from the outer stalls, figuring if I got those two correct, the rest of the roundhouse wouldn't be quite so obviously out of alignment, but if one of those was out, the roundhouse would probably look skewed.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 21, 2020, 09:02:38 AM
The old forum is on Archive.orghttps://web.archive.org/web/20101124082531/http://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1007 

The idea to align the centerline of the roundhouse front to the turntable center, and then build the rest of the model around them, is the right one.  I kinda reverse engineered that, by projecting the center line of the tracks back towards the roundhouse, and then picking the "average center" where the lines aligned.  I gave a bit of extra weighting in my "calculation" to the lines from the outer stalls, figuring if I got those two correct, the rest of the roundhouse wouldn't be quite so obviously out of alignment, but if one of those was out, the roundhouse would probably look skewed.

dave

Dave

I decided to make a cardboard template with the turntable center and attach it to my baseboard so I have that point in space called center on my workbench for constant reference.  It is very easy to get an error buildup as you build 11 stalls.
John Siekirk

Lynnb

You're going to have a good laugh about this some day , but not today . ;D
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on April 21, 2020, 01:06:40 PM
You're going to have a good laugh about this some day , but not today . ;D

Lynn

We all need a challenge once and awhile to keep things interesting.  I spent three hours this afternoon sanding and fitting and the 1/4 inch went away.  I will try to remember to take a picture of my layout setup this evening.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture of the cardboard template I made to line up the base castings for the roundhouse.  As I said above, after three houses of sanding and fitting the castings are all lined up and ready for the gluing process.  I plan to glue everything in place and then paint it as an assembly. It will fit in my paint booth if we don't get some nice weather, soon enough, to paint it outside.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is a picture with a few more track sections laid on top, I'm into the turntable before the tracks converge - all is well on the roundhouse project tonight.

Now for the wall castings.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

On another modeling front. Here is a progress picture of the Fox Run Build.

John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

ReadingBob

John - Nice combination of Fox Run next to Sewall's.  I loved building both of those.  Sewall's is in a box in my garage and in dire need of some restoration (it got damaged in the move to Florida).  Fox Run I built for Mr. Seckler and, if I'm not mistaken, is on his layout.  I'm slowing infesting layouts one at a time.   ;)

Keep up the great work!
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on April 21, 2020, 08:46:53 PM
John - Nice combination of Fox Run next to Sewall's.  I loved building both of those.  Sewall's is in a box in my garage and in dire need of some restoration (it got damaged in the move to Florida).  Fox Run I built for Mr. Seckler and, if I'm not mistaken, is on his layout.  I'm slowing infesting layouts one at a time.   ;)

Keep up the great work!

Bob

Thank you for stopping by and the kind words. They are two great kits. Combining them was a fun change to make them just a little different. 
John Siekirk

tom.boyd.125

Quote from: S&S RR on April 21, 2020, 08:37:03 PM
Here is a picture with a few more track sections laid on top, I'm into the turntable before the tracks converge - all is well on the roundhouse project tonight.

Now for the wall castings.

John,
Congratulations on earning the Doctorate of Roundhouse Design Certificate !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

deemery

One thought occurred to me:  If you got a 2' section of RibbonRail track gauge, the equivalent in FastTracks SweepSticks, or made your own 2' long strip that is exactly track gauge wide, you could drill a hole in one end and use that as a 'trammel' to lay out the tracks.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

Lynnb

Your Fox Run looks fantastic, I had just tripped over Bob Butts Fox Run Milling build from 2014 , I think I was just googling the kit as I've been on the lookout for one for a while now.
I remember back when I was trying to get my tracks alligned for a simply two stall engine house with a newer Walthers TT and although not impossible but wasn't easy, can't imagine how you're figuring this one out. :o
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0