Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on April 30, 2020, 07:54:21 AM
Beautiful looking scene, John.

Jeff

Jeff

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Quote from: ACL1504 on April 30, 2020, 07:55:05 AM
John,

The scene in the above photo is wonderful. Lots of nice structures with lots of track in the foreground. Well done my friend.

Tom ;D

Tom

Thank you for the encouragement. I'm excited to see this scene with the track and scenery completed.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Excellent scene and the background really gives it depth.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on April 30, 2020, 09:32:56 AM
Excellent scene and the background really gives it depth.

Curt

Thank you for the inspirational words - I think the scene will get even more depth as I add some foreground features like trees and track side sheds.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

Looking very nice, John.

I'm curious as to where the roads will go - especially to service the two warehouses at the back.

Cheers, Mark.

sdrees

WOW John, this is really taking shape very nicely.  It is  going be a great looking scene.
Steve Drees
SP RR

PaulS

Quote from: S&S RR on April 30, 2020, 09:22:48 AM

Paul
Thank you for the kind words.

I will be using the servo system that Barrett Hill sells. The configuration will be a little different on each of turnouts in this area.  I have some that will be right beside the track with the servo motor covered by a small shed, some will have long wires that attach to the servo motor at an angle underneath the layout, and some will be controlled from the side with the servo motor mounted in the facia.  Stay tuned, I will take pictures as I install them and get them running.

Thanks John and looking forward to the lesson !!
And keep up the great work,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on April 30, 2020, 03:28:57 PM
Looking very nice, John.

I'm curious as to where the roads will go - especially to service the two warehouses at the back.

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thanks for following along. The side of the warehouse that is in view is the rail access with a rail also running into the left side of the structure.  Any truck traffic would be out the back of the building, which is out of view.  There will be a road running around the back on the left side along side the rail.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: sdrees on April 30, 2020, 04:43:37 PM
WOW John, this is really taking shape very nicely.  It is  going be a great looking scene.

Steve

Thank you for following along - I'm looking at how I want to complete the scenery to make this all blend together.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: PaulS on April 30, 2020, 05:37:27 PM
Quote from: S&S RR on April 30, 2020, 09:22:48 AM

Paul
Thank you for the kind words.

I will be using the servo system that Barrett Hill sells. The configuration will be a little different on each of turnouts in this area.  I have some that will be right beside the track with the servo motor covered by a small shed, some will have long wires that attach to the servo motor at an angle underneath the layout, and some will be controlled from the side with the servo motor mounted in the facia.  Stay tuned, I will take pictures as I install them and get them running.

Thanks John and looking forward to the lesson !!
And keep up the great work,
--Paul

I don't know about a lesson - this is my first attempt at using servos to control turnouts - so we can learn together.  So far it looks pretty straight forward.
John Siekirk

deemery

I've installed a couple of servos, the Tam Valley "Switchwright" integrated servo and control board.  The Mark 2 version has a 3D printed bracket (the first version had laser-cut wood.)  I slightly drill out the mounting holes for #6 screws.  I'm using the onboard relay to switch the frogs, since these are going into the HOn30 (non-DCC) part of the layout.  Duncan includes some pressure-sensitive mounting tape to position the machine/bracket before you install the screws.  That works well, as long as you don't have to do too much adjustment.  One thing to keep in mind (true on any switch machine) is the direction of travel has to be perpendicular to the track, so I had a bit of a challenge to extend that line to the edge of the layout and then underneath to make sure the switch machine was mounted on that axis. 

Mounting these is really tough for one person to do, in this time of 'shelter in place' :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on April 30, 2020, 07:41:57 PM
I've installed a couple of servos, the Tam Valley "Switchwright" integrated servo and control board.  The Mark 2 version has a 3D printed bracket (the first version had laser-cut wood.)  I slightly drill out the mounting holes for #6 screws.  I'm using the onboard relay to switch the frogs, since these are going into the HOn30 (non-DCC) part of the layout.  Duncan includes some pressure-sensitive mounting tape to position the machine/bracket before you install the screws.  That works well, as long as you don't have to do too much adjustment.  One thing to keep in mind (true on any switch machine) is the direction of travel has to be perpendicular to the track, so I had a bit of a challenge to extend that line to the edge of the layout and then underneath to make sure the switch machine was mounted on that axis. 

Mounting these is really tough for one person to do, in this time of 'shelter in place' :-)

dave

There have been a number of times in the last few weeks when it would have been nice to have an extra set of hands. ;)  There has been a lot of crawling out from under the layout to see if what I just did worked. ::)  I can't wait until the Grandkids and my train buddies can visit again.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update:  The first stall base for the Brick Roundhouse got glued down today. Lots of sanding and fitting in my future for this project. I decided to glue all the base castings to the plywood before starting to paint.  With all the fitting the touch up would be like painting them all over again. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I didn't take a setup picture but the centerline of the casting is lined up with the center of the turntable using my template.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

On another front - I couldn't keep walking past an empty workbench so the cover came of the G. Wilikers build.  The traditional opening the box pictures.

John Siekirk