Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on May 12, 2020, 12:42:23 PM
Hey John:

Great looking stone wall.

Karl

Karl

Thank you - every time I do one I add more steps - hopefully they are getting better.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

The castings for the G. Wiliker's build are nearing completion. I need to paint the window and door castings green. Along with the window openings of the stone wall castings.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

And on the Brick Roundhouse project, the base assembly for the 11 stall portion of the Roundhouse made it's way into the paint booth.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I either don't paint or sand off the primer from the surfaces that will be glued.
John Siekirk

Mark Dalrymple

The stone wall castings look really great, John.

Cheers, Mark.

postalkarl

Hey John:

All looks well so far. Painting all those castings is fun isn't it.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on May 12, 2020, 04:14:59 PM
The stone wall castings look really great, John.

Cheers, Mark.

I thought you might like those castings, Mark.  I have a set of castings glued up for the stone building from Threadwell's that I plan on using this technique on. A future project that is on the short list.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on May 12, 2020, 05:07:33 PM
Hey John:

All looks well so far. Painting all those castings is fun isn't it.

Karl

Thank you, Karl. I need to get the molds out and cast some more of the joiner castings that go in-between the rear castings. I didn't think the roundhouse was going to be this big when I made the castings. :-[  I then have a lot of window castings to paint. This is a big project.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: I painted a lot of grey primer on the roundhouse castings for the concrete parts. I will have many many hours in this part of the project.  Once the primer is dry I will add the pastel chalks. I also finished the moldings in the new section of the layout - a project that I have been going to get back too for months.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey John:

It may be A big project but I'm sure you will do very well with it.

Karl

Jerry

John I can't wait to see this start to be put together. 

When you go big your not kidding but I know from the past it will be another beautiful build.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on May 14, 2020, 08:02:04 AM
Hey John:

It may be A big project but I'm sure you will do very well with it.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for the encouraging words.  I have run out of bench space for the castings. :o
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on May 14, 2020, 10:18:38 AM
John I can't wait to see this start to be put together. 

When you go big your not kidding but I know from the past it will be another beautiful build.

Jerry

Jerry

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words, I'm about to do a test fit with the base castings now that they are assembled. The walls will start going up as soon as I get one side wall and a few of the back castings painted. I need to make some more of the brick wall sections that join the back walls together, so my molds and molding supplies will be coming out as soon as I get a workbench cleared. Castings everywhere.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I few weeks ago I ordered supplies for my layout, basically what do I think I will need in the next few months, trying to order ahead and help out some of our suppliers in this very difficult time for small businesses.  One of my purchases on the getting the shop better organized list was this rack for my Hunterline Stains. I had them all stored in a cabinet and was constantly sorting to find the one I wanted. So here is a shout out for Motrak Models and their storage rack.  I also have their racks for my paints.  Just a cool product that you may want to take a look at.

https://motrakmodelsusa.com
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, I finished all of the location preparation work for the Brick Roundhouse.  I cut the openings in the benchwork and cutaway the bracing, where I needed some clearance.  Now, that that work is completed the base has been moved back to my workbench and the brick floor was weathered to match the floors of the prototypical roundhouses that I have had the pleasure of visiting.  Very little brick shows through the grease and grime mixed with coal dust. I decided that I'm not going to spend a lot of time detailing the interior for this build - it is a working roundhouse and although the outside will be very visiable, the inside will not. I'm going to do a test with some interior LED lighting just to see how much of the locomotives will be visible through the windows on the back of the roundhouse, if I add lighting.

John Siekirk