Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: mark dalrymple on July 11, 2020, 09:50:25 PM
Looking great, John!

I'm curious as the whether you are going to add rafter tails to all that roofing?  You could set some sort of a record!  Up there with Georges I. M. Boren!

Cheers, Mark.

Mark

Thank you for the kind words  - I think I will let the rafter tail record stay were it is.   ;)  That sure would be a lot of rafter tails. I finished off the roof the same way Bob did it with his kit. This has been personal time spent on a single build record for me - a very big project. I think I'm going to be very happy with it on the layout. And it serves a necessary function for the railroad, too. I have my next three builds all ready to go on my workbenches as soon as the roofing and doors are finished.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

I had a package waiting for me when I got back from the Northern Hqtrs. this afternoon.  This will be one of my next three builds after the completion of the Brick Roundhouse.  Also, on the table is the first shipment of Castings from Bob VanGelder's molds, now owned by Rail Scale Miniatures.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You will notice that the roof vents for the roundhouse are in this batch of castings.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

I'm really looking forward to the construction of Whispering Falls.  (I cannot imagine why, can you?)  ;D ;D

Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on July 13, 2020, 09:47:14 PM
John,

I'm really looking forward to the construction of Whispering Falls.  (I cannot imagine why, can you?)  ;D ;D

Jerry

I thought of you you as I was planning to buy this kit. I opened the boxes tonight and it really looks like a great kit. I have some extra details and outbuildings that will be part of my scene. I know I will have questions for you as I go - I want mine to be 1949 timeframe so I will have some equipment questions. I know I need rectangular hay bails in that time frame - when did farms start switching to round bales?
John Siekirk

EricQuebec

John,
I will foolow your effort on this kit for sure.
But may I suggest you to read the excellent thread concerning this kit from Ensign. He had discover a lot of small mistake in the kit and have very well documented them.
just for said.
Eric

ReadingBob

Okay.  Whispering Falls slipped by my radar.  I hadn't heard of or seen this one.  Looks interesting.  I'll be following along for sure.   ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

S&S RR

Quote from: EricQuebec on July 14, 2020, 07:51:13 PM
John,
I will foolow your effort on this kit for sure.
But may I suggest you to read the excellent thread concerning this kit from Ensign. He had discover a lot of small mistake in the kit and have very well documented them.
just for said.
Eric

Eric

Thank you for following along and yes I'm reading through Greg's build thread to get his tips.  A sheet was included in the box that recommended Greg's build thread and offered a pdf file with the drawing changes and tips. I'm really excited about this kit the contents look excellent - Casting quality, detail, etc. also look great. I will let you know through this thread how it builds.  Tonight, I'm sitting in my gazebo studying the build and looking at options on how I can organize the buildings for my location on the layout.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: ReadingBob on July 14, 2020, 08:04:37 PM
Okay.  Whispering Falls slipped by my radar.  I hadn't heard of or seen this one.  Looks interesting.  I'll be following along for sure.   ;)

Bob

I saw it when it came out and really loved it, but I couldn't come up with a place for it on my layout.  After trying to design the town I had planned for this area I decided I had way to many structures and will move the town to the new area close to the location of my Brick Roundhouse build. So I contacted Rail Scale Miniatures and was happy to learn that one was still available. As I said above, judging from the box contents, I think this is going to be a great build.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Today, the roofers made a good start on the rolled roofing for the 11 stall Brick Roundhouse. They will be at this for a few days. The doors are all ready to install when the roofers are done.  The roof vents arrived and are being prepared for the paint booth.
John Siekirk

jerryrbeach

John,

According to their website, New Holland first built a round baler in 1974.  Their first square balers with pickup heads debuted around 1940.  Other manufacturers followed New Holland's lead and IH and John Deere balers with pickup heads came out in 1945.  If you check this link there is a black and white photo on page 3.  That pretty much is how my dad and grandfather put up baled hay for their dairy after WWII.  The Farmall H tractor they used had the more common (at least in our area) narrow front.  The baler is a Model 76.  I believe it was the second model offered by New Holland.  It was powered by a two cylinder Wisconsin engine and used belts to feed the hay into the chamber.  It dropped the bales on the ground and they had a bale loader like the one in the photo. Theirs hooked to the left side of the truck so it was easier for the driver to see the bales and line them up with the loader.  They had two trucks, a 1934 International and a 1946 Dodge.  https://www.stjoetractor.com/siteart/pdf/SmallSquareBalers.pdf

The GHQ "green" baler is the model of  a John Deere 14T square baler, built starting in 1955.  I know of no models of an earlier baler. 

The GHQ "red" tractors are IHC Farmall Super M tractors first offered in 1953.  McCormick Deering Farmall (IHC) offered H and M tractors starting in 1939, and with minor changes these were built into the mid-50's.  The Super M was slightly larger than an M and offered more horsepower.  I doubt many modelers could tell the difference.  LifeLike offered a plastic Farmall tractor.  I've never been able to tell if they were H's or M's.  I believe the Woodland Scenics John Deere tractors with rubber tires are Model A tractors, built from 1934 to 1952.  Obviously they would be suitable for your era.  The GHQ manure spreader is a ground drive model, also suitable for your era.  IIRC GHQ also offers a green combine that might be suitable.  I'd have to do some checking, we had 1938 McCormick Deering and later an Allis Chalmers combine, both pull types.

Today's small square balers make a 14" x 18" bale.  Bale length can be set by the operator and varies.  Today's bales are normally shorter than they were in the 40's and 50's to allow them to work better with bale throwers.  IIRC, the old 76 baler made 16" x 18" bales, still the difference in HO scale is negligible. 

Here's a link to some hay bales and stacks available on ebay.  I have some of these to use when I build my stationary baler kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-401-18-Piece-Hay-Stacks-and-Hay-Bales-Set-HO-Scale-unfinished/114288170231?hash=item1a9c1b14f7:g:R2gAAOSwp2deEmdC

FWIW, during WWII my dad designed and built a pickup head for their stationary wire tie baler.  That baler did not have a way to tie the bales automatically.  My mom rode one side and my dad the other.  When a bale was the right size my dad would drop a board at the "front" end of the bale so no more hay could be added.  My mom would push two wires through the bale chamber to my dad who would twist the wire ends thus tiring the bale.  Then my dad would insert the wires for the next bale and remove the board. Seems like a lot of work, but still was much faster than hauling loose hay to the stationary baler and feeding the hay into the baler by hand.  I never saw this baler and apparently no one in the family took any photos of it.  After he built the pickup my dad sprayed it red and the family joke was that he had red hair for at least a month afterward.   

I hope this answers a few of your questions. 
Jerry

jerryrbeach

John,

My "kicker" bales run about 32" long, and weigh about 40#.  The bales from the old New Holland 76 were longer and weighed 50-60#. 

Bill Gill did what I feel was the best tutorial on making bales on the other forum.  He squeezed the bales with pliers.  That seemed to help the grass flocking align more realistically than other methods.

Here's a link:  http://railroad-line.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44358&SearchTerms=hay,bale
Jerry

S&S RR

Quote from: jerryrbeach on July 14, 2020, 09:48:38 PM
John,

According to their website, New Holland first built a round baler in 1974.  Their first square balers with pickup heads debuted around 1940.  Other manufacturers followed New Holland's lead and IH and John Deere balers with pickup heads came out in 1945.  If you check this link there is a black and white photo on page 3.  That pretty much is how my dad and grandfather put up baled hay for their dairy after WWII.  The Farmall H tractor they used had the more common (at least in our area) narrow front.  The baler is a Model 76.  I believe it was the second model offered by New Holland.  It was powered by a two cylinder Wisconsin engine and used belts to feed the hay into the chamber.  It dropped the bales on the ground and they had a bale loader like the one in the photo. Theirs hooked to the left side of the truck so it was easier for the driver to see the bales and line them up with the loader.  They had two trucks, a 1934 International and a 1946 Dodge.  https://www.stjoetractor.com/siteart/pdf/SmallSquareBalers.pdf

The GHQ "green" baler is the model of  a John Deere 14T square baler, built starting in 1955.  I know of no models of an earlier baler. 

The GHQ "red" tractors are IHC Farmall Super M tractors first offered in 1953.  McCormick Deering Farmall (IHC) offered H and M tractors starting in 1939, and with minor changes these were built into the mid-50's.  The Super M was slightly larger than an M and offered more horsepower.  I doubt many modelers could tell the difference.  LifeLike offered a plastic Farmall tractor.  I've never been able to tell if they were H's or M's.  I believe the Woodland Scenics John Deere tractors with rubber tires are Model A tractors, built from 1934 to 1952.  Obviously they would be suitable for your era.  The GHQ manure spreader is a ground drive model, also suitable for your era.  IIRC GHQ also offers a green combine that might be suitable.  I'd have to do some checking, we had 1938 McCormick Deering and later an Allis Chalmers combine, both pull types.

Today's small square balers make a 14" x 18" bale.  Bale length can be set by the operator and varies.  Today's bales are normally shorter than they were in the 40's and 50's to allow them to work better with bale throwers.  IIRC, the old 76 baler made 16" x 18" bales, still the difference in HO scale is negligible. 

Here's a link to some hay bales and stacks available on ebay.  I have some of these to use when I build my stationary baler kit.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/SMC-401-18-Piece-Hay-Stacks-and-Hay-Bales-Set-HO-Scale-unfinished/114288170231?hash=item1a9c1b14f7:g:R2gAAOSwp2deEmdC

FWIW, during WWII my dad designed and built a pickup head for their stationary wire tie baler.  That baler did not have a way to tie the bales automatically.  My mom rode one side and my dad the other.  When a bale was the right size my dad would drop a board at the "front" end of the bale so no more hay could be added.  My mom would push two wires through the bale chamber to my dad who would twist the wire ends thus tiring the bale.  Then my dad would insert the wires for the next bale and remove the board. Seems like a lot of work, but still was much faster than hauling loose hay to the stationary baler and feeding the hay into the baler by hand.  I never saw this baler and apparently no one in the family took any photos of it.  After he built the pickup my dad sprayed it red and the family joke was that he had red hair for at least a month afterward.   

I hope this answers a few of your questions. 

Jerry 

Thank you so much for all the great information. This is going to be a fun project. I have great memories of my Grandparents farm, a small dairy farm in Northern Michigan. My job, during hay season, when I was young was to drive the stake truck - an old Chev. with a flat head 8. When I got old enough to lift the bales making hay wasn't as much fun. The bales went on and off the truck and trailer by hand.  My Grandparents had the mower and rake but I remember the bailer being on loan, rented, or co owned by a number of the farmers up there. I remember two tractors a Ford 8N and a Allis Chalmers that had the two front wheels close together (crank start). Helping to keep all that equipment going probably started my interest in going into Engineering.  I worked for John Deere for two years at their Tech. Center in Moline while I was in Grad School.
John Siekirk

BandOGuy

John,
Sent you an email message on the boards here last night.
Did you receive it?
Chip Stevens
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

S&S RR

Quote from: BandOGuy on July 15, 2020, 08:14:10 PM
John,
Sent you an email message on the boards here last night.
Did you receive it?
Chip Stevens

Chip

I didn't get your email - I just sent you and email through the forum. Let me know if you got it and please resend the email you sent me.
John Siekirk