Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on September 01, 2020, 08:32:59 AM
Hey John:

That interior is just beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along, and the encouraging words.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: Jerry on September 01, 2020, 08:55:37 AM
John

Great detailing and lighting.

I'll follow the lightning closely as I need to figure out how to do the Mill.
I need all the help I can get when it comes to the light at the end of tunnel seeing I've done it before!!

Jerry

Jerry

The LED lighting of structures can really be rewarding but it does have some challenges. The LED's are so little and the wires are like the hair I once had.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Quote from: deemery on September 01, 2020, 10:14:40 AM
Western Scale Models made a nice generator casting for their stamp mill.  That's one of the more easy parts to find on eBay, etc. 

Are you running 2 conductors through the "conduit", or just 1 wire and using the conduit itself for the other conductor?

dave

Dave

Funny you should mention the Western Scale Models generator I'm looking for one - I still think I already have one but where is it?

I'm using 2  conductors.  I run the fine wires to a nonvisable connection and then heavier wire from there to the junction box.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: Whispering Falls build.  Today, I finished the posts and added the first two LED lights to the ceiling of the lower floor of the barn.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Also, added the wood walls to the complete lower level of the barn.  I used a A & I stain bath for the pieces of stripwood that I used for the walls. I used two slightly different widths of boards and two different thickness to give it a more 3-D rough cut barn wood look. Now for the details.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

On another front the foundation has been glued to the baseboard for the horse barn.  We are going to have two barns going up at the same time. This is a C. C. Crow kit that will be part of the same scene as the Whispering Falls kit.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Update: G. Wilikers build. I have some catching up to do with this build.  I got behind in posting pictures. So, about three pages back I had just assembled the four main walls for the main building.  Next, the three walls for the upper level entry way. 

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Next - the ceiling goes on after a trip to the paint booth for the hunter green trim paint. I will add the hunter green soft pastel chalk to tone down the shinny look during the final detailing and touchup process.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Next - is the roof card for the main building.  This is just a test fit - before I add all the internal bracing.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

My Grandson and I visited my Grandparents old farm today and took some prototype pictures of the interior of the old cow barn that I remember so well from my childhood. It was strange explaining to my Grandson that they were his Great, Great Grandparents or 2 times Great.  I plan on matching the design of the interior for the Whispering Falls build. The picture in my mind was pretty accurate - it has been at least 35 years since I was in the barn.  I will post a couple pictures when I can get them downloaded and processed. I have very limited internet here in Michigan's North country.

I was asked tonight if I know where his three times Great Grandparents lived, so we are going to take a field trip tomorrow for him to see their old farm - if it's still there.  It was a Jeep ride through the woods to get there last time I was there. I took pictures of it about 10 years ago, if it's not, that I can show him.  His three times Great Grandparents were some of the original people that settled in this area from Europe in the 1870's to 1900's. He sure took an amazing interest - he is only 4 years old. 
John Siekirk