Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lynnb

Thanks guys , ya Micromart for me being Canadian would be a bit pricey, I'll check Amazon or worse case I'll have to pull the mig welder out. I work in Algoma Steel here and our DSPC Roll Shop has Welder Erectors setup in the corner of the shop, I may be able to get some smallish plates from them.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

S&S RR

Quote from: Lynnb on October 03, 2020, 10:49:59 AM
Thanks guys , ya Micromart for me being Canadian would be a bit pricey, I'll check Amazon or worse case I'll have to pull the mig welder out. I work in Algoma Steel here and our DSPC Roll Shop has Welder Erectors setup in the corner of the shop, I may be able to get some smallish plates from them.

Lynn 

As long as they are ground square any fabrication will work just fine. I bought mine when they were on sale and the price was right.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

Update:  Here are a few pictures of where the Whispering Falls build was at when I quit for the day on Friday.  I had the Grandkids here for the weekend running trains so I didn't get around to updating the thread until this evening.

The LED wiring has been completed and tested and the floor is on for the barn addition. The last step completed so far was gluing down the frame for the walls.  I'm gluing the framing down before I add the wall boards like I did no the main barn. I'm going with the white weathered walls like Dario did for the pilot model.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I cleaned up the paper from the templates that could be seen on the inside of the walls - but didn't bother with the outside since it is all covered.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

The next step is to paint all of the strip wood for the outside walls using the same technique as I did with the main barn red walls - only with white paint for the addition.
John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

Quote from: PRR Modeler on October 04, 2020, 06:46:36 PM
It looks awesome. That is a lot of lights!

Curt

It may be overkill with the LED lights but I wanted to make sure the interior detail was visible.  We will see when I get it in place.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

I had a nice long chat with George Sellios, yesterday. He really likes the idea of the Cache River running through the town of Vansel on the S&S RR. He told me he is spending his time in Covid isolation making changes to the F&SM. I think his words where - "John I have so many new changes for you to photograph".  He then proceed to list some of the areas he has worked on - he has been busy. I'm sure looking forward to getting back there to see George and for a photo shoot.
John Siekirk

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

postalkarl

Hey John:

It's really coming along. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

S&S RR

Quote from: postalkarl on October 06, 2020, 06:00:43 PM
Hey John:

It's really coming along. Can't wait to see more.

Karl

Karl

Thank you for following along,  more soon.
John Siekirk

postalkarl

Hey john:

you are quite welcome. I always enjoy your photos.

Karl

S&S RR

The siding boards for the barn addition have been painted.  I used the same technique as I did for the barn red siding only I used white paint.  I will be toning down the white with a A&I wash after it is installed on the barn.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Here is what it looked like after the first few rows.

Yes, I like to add the siding after the frame of the wall is installed.
John Siekirk

Jerry

John looks great.
I see what you meant about the A&I to tone everything down.

I tried the A&I on the siding perfect solution.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln