FSM Westside Auto

Started by Zephyrus52246, September 07, 2019, 05:29:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

postalkarl

Hey Jeff:

This is coming out just great keep the pics flowing.

Karl

Zephyrus52246

Thanks for the positive comments, gentlemen.  The rear shed roof is made up of "metal roofing".  Pieces cut from paper and attached to the roof.  Used the rotary "nail hole" maker on the edges before putting them on with transfer tape.  Painted with SAC bomber green spray paint (instructions use Floquil Depot Olive, close enough match). 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

I forgot to put on the d*#ned rafter tails until I had attached the shed (and the side walkway).  Which lead to this scary scenario to glue them on.
Jeff

Zephyrus52246

The rear shed was cardboard sides, painted like the roof (black/tan/grey spray paint).  Wooden battens applied.  Some minimal weathering done.  The side "walkway" was stick built using templates.  The building itself is finished, except for a back loading dock which is three castings and a wooden top.  Unfortunately, my paint shaker managed to shake it's way off the counter and managed to break itself.  So until the new one gets here tomorrow, that's on hold.  It's really great for mixing the paints, especially the Vallejo bottles.

Jeff

[/size]
[/size]

Zephyrus52246

Sidewalks are to be carved/sanded/finished from these pieces of wood.  That will be an ongoing project as I proceed to the next structure of the diorama.

Jeff

tom.boyd.125

Jeff,
Your FSM Westside Auto looks like the best place to go for auto parts in Iowa.
Keep building those yellow boxes !
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com

postalkarl

Jeff:

Great job so far. You did A great job on my favorite part. The roof repair.

Karl

Opa George

I like how the wooden covered stairs look against the stucco. Lots of interesting features on this one.
--Opa George

Zephyrus52246

Thanks, guys.  The next structure is an open shed.  It's stick framework over a wood plank base.  I've diverged from the instructions here.  The building and sidewalks are supposed to be attached to a plywood base at this point.  Mine will be on gatorfoam, but I'm not sure of the overall "fit" on the layout, so I want all the structure done first before attaching them to a base. The planks were to be directly glued to the base, but I used a sheet of black posterboard.  It glued fine, but warped when a couple of coats of thin A&I were applied.  I put it under weight for awhile and even sprayed the back lightly with water and put it under the weight again.  It's nearly flat again. 

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

Since the superstructure for the roof is so fragile, George suggests detailing the interior before putting the pieces together.  So I'm painting the detail parts to go in this area.  And some extra pieces as well.  I do this in short bursts, due to a mild intention tremor which occurs after awhile.  Also the eyestrain.   :o

Jeff

Zephyrus52246

There's an old rusty vehicle in the shed (not included).  I didn't want to use one of the few Jordan old Model T's I have, but I had this old Stutz from somewhere.  It's not terrifically detailed, so will be perfect for this. I'm going to airbrush it basically rust and build up the colors from there with chalks, etc. 

Jeff

ReadingBob

Looking good Jeff!  Great idea using a that old Stutz model instead of burning up a Jordan.  She should fit the bill perfectly after you rust her up.  ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Lynnb

You're doing a super job, gotta love these tall type building from fsm. Look forward to you working through the castings.
Ontario, Canada
The Great White North

My Layout Venture-> https://modelersforum.com/index.php?topic=6003.0

Oldguy

That Stutz looks like an old Dyna-Model unit.
Great work on the build
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond