2020 Challenge Carolina Craftsman Kit #CCK1359 - AD Low & Company

Started by GPdemayo, January 26, 2020, 12:50:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GPdemayo

Quote from: ReadingBob on February 02, 2020, 01:32:30 PM
Maybe you're on double secret probation.   :o

That movie was really scary.....reminded me to much of my days at college. My triple top secret probation was so secret that if they told me about it, they would have had to shoot me.  ::)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: Opa George on February 03, 2020, 11:49:39 AM
Quote from: GPdemayo on February 03, 2020, 09:35:05 AM
.....the glue was last used about 5 years ago and as you can see, below, it wasn't exactly craftsman quality.....

I looked at the photo before reading your note--thought "Hmm, new formula?"  And I thought I was aging poorly!
--Opa George

It looked so bad George, I didn't even open it to see what it had turned into.....just right into the trash.  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: mark dalrymple on February 03, 2020, 01:16:17 PM
Looking good, Gregory.

Nice hippo in exhibit 3.

Cheers, Mark.

Thanks Mark.....the hippo belongs to one of our cairn terriers and has to go into emergency surgery to fix a torn seam so all the insides don't fall out. Amazing what we do for our pets.  ;)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Quote from: postalkarl on February 03, 2020, 01:54:59 PM
Hey Greg:

I have to agree with you on nail heads. They are usually under the flap. I add them for fun and it kinda make the building looks nice. The only building I have ever seen with exposed nail heads all over was in Salem Mass and it was built in the 1700's. I believe it's on the waterfront.

Karl

Hi Karl.....I agree about the nail heads giving the model more visual appeal. They should be "toned" down and a bit more subtle once I get the siding painted.

Years ago, Pegi went to the shore in Salem in the beginning of July and actually saw people on blankets on the pebbly beach in swim suits. We were standing up on the sidewalk with lightweight jackets on trying to keep warm. You can't transplant people from South Florida (Pegi is from Miami, I grew up in Ft. Lauderdale) to Massachusetts.....to darn cold and humid.  :(
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

deemery

Wife has repaired dog toys several times.  Now Titus thinks that -everything- wife sews must be a dog toy :-)

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Not much progress on the build to report this week.

It was a great week for aviation though, I got to take a ride in a Beech Bonanza A33 from Orlando Exec to Immokalee, FL  for lunch. Didn't get the infamous $100 dollar hamburger.....had a $150 enchilada instead.

Immokelee is an agricultural town on the west side of the state, hence the Mexican cuisine, a bit northeast of Naples. It was a short flight, about 145 miles, but lasted a bit longer than necessary because air traffic control vectoring us all over the place to avoid other traffic coming or going to major airports near our route.

The plane was nice and equipped with a full Garmin glass cockpit retro fit panel for this older model plane. It was really neat on the return trip, the clouds had built up in the afternoon and we got to fly in and out of some as headed back to Orlando. Great fun.....

Exhibit #1 - (N6038Q-002)

The only work I got done on the kit was painting the walls. I ventured into a new universe this time and tried a water based paint.....Poly Scale - GN Big Sky Blue. They say you can't teach an old dog new tricks.....I started working with Floquil years ago and I'm so used to working with oils and I really don't want to change paint type at this late stage, but you have to go with the flow! (pitiful pun intended)

I have stocked up on ScaleCoat, but their color selection is a bit thin so at some point, like this one, I'll have to make a change to get the colors I need. I wanted to go for a faded light blue look and I couldn't find the shade I needed in oil in my dwindling stash.

I mixed a little white in with the GN blue and thinned it out to almost a wash to get it to the shade I wanted as you can see below.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-019):

I dry brushed a bit more white on the walls, but forgot to take pictures. You'll be able to see that when I post the photos of the assembled walls next time.

Later..... 
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Hello again.....

As you may have noticed, unlike some retired people that will remain nameless (specifically ACL1504), I don't have the time to write long how to's for this build, as I am somewhat still gainfully employed. Instead, I will do a cliff note version of the build and if y'all have any questions, I'll do my best to get them answered.

I got the walls assembled this past week and started on the white wash to tone down the base blue that was used on the bare basswood.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-020)

Exihibit #2 - (ADL-021)

I'll add the corner trim, doors and windows after I get the walls to the color I'm going for.

One added advantage to many layers of paint, the nail holes look to be a bit more subtle than in the photos of the bare walls.

On to the floor.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

Since I wanted to build this kit from Jeff, I haven't given it the full thought that would normally be done with a kit that will be incorporated into the St.L&D world.

I learned a long time ago that if a structure were build without the lighting and any possible interior detail behind an exterior window or open door taken into account during assembly, it would be next to impossible to do any of those items after assembly.

With that in mind, I included the floor ledgers on the exterior walls.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-040)

Next, I took some 1/16" sheet stock, not included with the kit, cut it to fit and added 1/8"x1/8" bracing on the bottom.

Exihibit #2 - (ADL-036)

It's built to drop in without using glue in case it is necessary to remove it at some future date.

Exhibit #3 - (ADL-040a)

On to the roof.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

GPdemayo

As with the floor, the roof is assembled so that it can be removed.

The kit came with cardboard sheets for the roof decking, but I wanted a bit more stability for an assembly that is to be handled.

I cut some 1/16" sheet stock to size and braced it with 1/8" solid truss pieces cut with the same slope as the gable ends.

Exhibit #1 - (ADL-037)

Since I do a lot of builds with exposed rafter tails, I decided to go with a closed soffit so I added 2"x8" fascia to the edge of the roof sheathing.

Exhibit #2 - (ADL-038)

There is some roof detail with the kit and I will get to that and the roofing material in the near future. For now, it will be on to the trim, windows and doors for the exterior walls this coming week.

All for now, next time.....
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

Thanks for looking in Curt.....hope you get you house back in order and get to the new layout soon.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

jerryrbeach

Greg,

Just getting caught up on this thread.  First, nice to see you back in the game so to speak. 

Walls look really nice, seems like you have started a new trend with the acrylic paint.  Once you get used to using acrylics I think you'll like their versatility.  I really like the changes you made to the roof to make it stronger as well as removable. 
Jerry

GPdemayo

Thanks for looking in and the kind comments Jerry..... :)

It has been awhile and I hope I can keep setting aside a bit of time to get to the really challenging kits I have in the stash. Gotta to start sometime.  ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL