Freight Car Photos (model and prototype)

Started by jbvb, April 21, 2014, 11:18:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jbvb

This part of the forum is pretty quiet, so how about a place where modelers can post interesting prototypes, current modeling projects, photos of model cars alone or in settings, without committing to starting a new thread?

I'll start out with an HO scale ACF 70 ton covered hopper assembled just like Bowser made it.  I wanted it weathered, but didn't have time to get out the airbrush, either to weather it that way, or to seal powders.  So I thought about what I had on hand that looked like cement:  Savogran's 'Wood Putty'  (out of production, but Durham's Water Putty might work the same way).  I shook some powder on and liked the way it looked spread around with a brush.   Then I thought about bonding it:  Water would set the product's glue base, but my sprayers were too coarse; they'd wash it away.  But I have a teakettle.  I held it by the couplers while turning it in the water vapor (not too close to the spout, you'll scald yourself).  Once it was all wet and the powder looked like it had vanished, I set it aside to dry.  10 minutes later it looked like this, and the finish seems fairly durable.
James

bparrish

James.

Very cool car and a great idea.

Thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

tct855

James,

Very cool idea!  I'd like to help add to this thread also.  Here's a shot of a car I did a while back for a friend on mine who lives in Australia.  If memory serves, I believe this is an HO scale Kadee welded steel sided box car.   I hand weathered this car using solvent base paints, oils and powders.  Besides the heavy weathering I also added custom made cut lever bars with brackets and underframe pull release air rods.  Since the doors opened I remembered to detail and weather the inside as well so this model could be used in different photo poses. "variety- the spice of life".  Can't wait to see all the cool freight car models to follow here!   Thanx Thom...

jbvb

That's a nice model.  I saw a few pallets kicking around in empties back while some cars still had roofwalks.

But this made me think of something I've only seen one picture of, and never a model: the remains of a paper fumigation seal around a boxcar door.  I presume it was for grain; I don't know where the Salem, MA yardmaster was getting the empties, but I saw them maybe once a month arriving for loading at the Owens-Illinois plastic bottle plant in Newburyport, MA.  Anyone know more about them?
James

CVSNE

Here's an F&C resin Central Vermont 43,000-series boxcar with a raised roof that I finished decaling this week.
I was going for an older car for my era that's just been repainted. It makes  a nice contrast to the heavier weathering on many of my cars.

Marty
Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

CVSNE

Sunshine Models resin kit for a St Louis Southwestern (Cotton belt) 40-foot double-sheathed boxcar. As I mentioned in the baggage car the other day this one has been quite an adventure - see my blog for the full story of this car.
Started construction in October 2001
Finished it (after it languished in the box for a long, long time!) July 2014.

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

jbvb

Nice work; it encourages me to see people taking the time to do resin kits of older cars. I have a number, my 1950s fleet will look better when they're operating, but that will take a while.
James

Raymo

Here's an Funaro Bangor and Aroostook shingle sheathed boxcar  Raymo

Rook

I drive by several tracks of the Indiana Harbor Belt every day for work.  This was setting on a spur for a metal recycler and an oil refinery.  I'm starting a project of this.

BandOGuy

One of the clinics at the NER Regional Saturday was given by a lady who uses cosmetics for weathering in lieu of costly weathering powders. Couldn't attend due to schedule conflict, but a very interesting concept.
Working on my second million. I gave up on the first.

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

CVSNE

Quote from: jbvb on July 30, 2014, 05:26:02 PM
Nice work; it encourages me to see people taking the time to do resin kits of older cars. I have a number, my 1950s fleet will look better when they're operating, but that will take a while.
Thanks for the kind words James!
Marty

Marty McGuirk
Manassas, VA

jbvb

This is an Eastern Car Works kit built & painted for a B&M prototype. I used 26" wheels in the ECW trucks and filled the openings in the underside of the cast frame with lead shot and white glue so I could operate it empty.
James

ACL1504

Here is a very old, used but not abused ACL tank car in Taft, Fl. Taft is a few miles South of Orlando, Fl. This picture was taken in the late '60's.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com