FOS Bandits Roost

Started by Opa George, October 14, 2019, 08:05:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jerry

Wow!!  Just getting caught up.  Beautiful modeling George.
Keep p the great work!!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Bruce Oberleitner

George,
Just catching up on your project.  Amazing work.  I really like how everything is coming together.

;D ;D ;D

Opa George

Thank you very much, Curt, Jerry and Bruce!  I appreciate the support!

Today's picture don't show a lot of dramatic progress--just small things. I added the mansard roof top trim. Lengths of 2x6 at the top of the shingles and 2x10s for cap boards. I applied the 2x6 lumber first, let it dry well and then sanded off the top angle to get a flat (albeit narrow) surface for the 2x10 cap board.  Had I not sanded, the edge of the 2x6, since it is applied on an angle, would have jutted up in spots like this:  ^

The photo above also shows some additional details.  I devised a loading dock door bumper from scrap wood, and added a Model Tech wall exhaust vent to the wall. This side of the structure is actually the building main entrance, or front wall, although the opposite rear wall with the tower is more prominent in the diorama and kit pictures.

Speaking of the tower, I began constructing the tower base, seen weighted by a bottle of Floquil "Dust" that has survived. The base represents decorative molding and is achieved very simply by building up three squares. When dry, I will prime with gray and sponge paint white to match the other trim.

Below is a lower level shot of the structure "front" showing the newest work. It better shows how the mansard roof trim works together.

More roofing work coming up.
--Opa George

Below

Oldguy

That looks superb.  I seem to have run out of superlatives.
Bob Dye
Livin large on a pond

Mark Dalrymple

This is really looking fantastic, George!

Cheers, Mark.

Opa George

Thanks very much, Bob and Mark.
--Opa George

postalkarl

hey George:

That's coming along quite nicely. Like the colors and weathering.

Karl

ACL1504

George,

I agree with the rest, this is turning out very nice.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

George just had to reply again.  That is so very well done your coloring is perfect.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Opa George

Karl, Tom and Jerry, I really appreciate the support. This kit is really fun!

Last evening I installed the rolled roofing on the main roof.  Today it is completely dry and ready to weather.  To the left you can see some of the parts for the tower.

Here is the main roof after weathering.  I used a small folded piece of 180 grit sandpaper to get the highly worn effect.

Below are some sub-assemblies of the tower.  The trim in laser cut, and is quite delicate. I bent one, but did not break it. Glued in place the bend is not noticeable.  The wooden gable ends are painted to match the main building siding.

Here are the assemblies in a trial fitting. No glue yet.

And here is the tower fully assembled, sans finial.  The pilot model clearly shows wire covering the seams, although that step is not mentioned in the instructions. I added lengths of piano wire in the rather large gutters between the sides and on top of the gables. It looks much better this way.

Here is the assembly with a base coat of paint.  Once dry, I will dry-brush with white to lighten it a little.

All for now...
--Opa George

ReadingBob

Looks terrific so far!  Great job on, well, everything.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PRR Modeler

Top notch modeling George. Everything looks terrific.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Opa George

Thanks very much, Bob and Curt.  I'll post a progress pic this evening. Last evening I dry-brushed the completed tower assembly with white and added some dirt and grime to the patina to mitigate the "fresh" look.  I stained and painted some stripwood for the rooftop stair access, but did not start assembling that yet.
--Opa George

Mark Dalrymple

That little roof came up great, George.

Cheers, Mark.

carl b

Carl