FOS Harbor Master Office build.

Started by ACL1504, July 21, 2020, 06:12:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Quote from: Blazeman on August 02, 2020, 09:59:37 AM
Tom:  How "tight" do you apply the Irwin clamps on the structures?

Larry,

Great question. Not tight at all, just enough to hold the building in square.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Now that the walls are together and square, it is time to consider the signage for the structure. The large "No Wake" sign appears to be porcelain and not one painted on the wall. A sign this big needs to be supported/fashioned to the wall in some way.

I started by weathering the sign on the sheet and then cutting it out. I wanted to add a stiff backing so I used 3M transfer tape and glued the sign to a piece of heavy cardstock.

I chose to use N&B casting for securing the sign to the wall. I painted four a rust color and let dry. I said four just in case one of the little suckers gets loose and on the floor somewhere. :-[

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also used the transfer tape to secure the sign on the exterior wall. I used a #78 drill bit and drilled a small hole in each corner of the sign. I then glued the N&B casting in the sign holes.

There are also two red "GAS" signs. They were a little light so I used a carmine red leaded pencil to darken the red. You can see the difference in the next photo.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I mentioned earlier in the thread the importance of making sure the wall edges were square. Having them square allows the corner trim to be glued flush to the wall.

Is it absolutely necessary? No, but the end product says YES!

I should have more tomorrow.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

WigWag Workshop

It's truly amazing, how much the small details like nuts attached to a sign, make such a huge difference to the overall look of a build.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

NKP768

Another great looking build Tom.
Doug

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: WigWag Workshop on August 04, 2020, 07:03:56 AM
It's truly amazing, how much the small details like nuts attached to a sign, make such a huge difference to the overall look of a build.

-Steven

Steven,

Thanks for stopping by. Yes, small details can really change the entire look of a structure.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: NKP768 on August 04, 2020, 07:10:58 AM
Another great looking build Tom.
Doug

Doug,

Thank you very much for the kind compliment.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Progress has been slow lately on this build. Honey does and such!  :-X

i did finish the main dock railings and added a light pole with an LED for night fishing.

The light bracket still needs paint.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I also scratch built a small office for the smaller dock. This dock will have the gas pump on it. Much work still needs to be done on this dock.

On the small office walls, I used thinned Floquil Reefer White. I thinned it to the point of pretty much being a white stain. 80% thinner to 20% paint.

I used this on the walls along with some thinner on the brush. I then dabbed the walls, exterior side down, on a paper towel. I wanted the white off the outer edges and not from the inner edges.

When paint fades and peals from a sun exposed area, the outside edges get the main break down of the paint. Right or wrong, this was my thought process for the walls. I think they came out just right as planned.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is a close up of the walls and faded paint. To me this looks more natural vs. the blotchy look..

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Here is a little experiment with my photo program, which is Irfanview64.

The first photo is of the walls at the workbench with Warm LED lighting. No color adjustments have been made.

Here are the same two walls under the same circumstances with only contrast added.

Continued -

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com