FSM Fox Run Milling - scratch/kit bash

Started by ACL1504, September 02, 2019, 05:50:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

I cut the lower roof deck from a piece of stock cardboard. I decided to have this roof removable. I marked on the bottom where I wanted bracing.

This also gives me the location of the exterior rafters and rafter tails location.

I cut some 10X10s for bracing and glued them in place.

This roof now fits snug on the building.

More in a few.
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

After doing all the measuring, fitting and gluing, I realized this roof will have a dormer so it WILL NOT be removable.

Well, the roof fits nice anyway. DOH!

"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

jimmillho

Looking good Tom.  Another fine example of your Craftsmanship.

Jim

dick green

Tom

Great modeling, great tutorials. When I grow up I want to be like you ;D

Dick
Dick
Apple Valley, Mn

postalkarl

Hey Tom:

this is coming along very nicely. I can't wait for some more progress.

Karl

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: jimmillho on September 16, 2019, 07:09:22 PM
Looking good Tom.  Another fine example of your Craftsmanship.

Jim

Butty Jim,

Thanks very much for the kind compliment.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: dick green on September 16, 2019, 11:28:28 PM
Tom

Great modeling, great tutorials. When I grow up I want to be like you ;D

Dick

Dick,

The compliment is very much appreciated, thank you. Just the other day my Babe said, "When are you going to grow up" or it could have been "Are you ever going to grow up"? :-X

My answer, "Never". 8) 8)

I hear but I don't always listen. :-\

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: postalkarl on September 17, 2019, 07:36:34 AM
Hey Tom:

this is coming along very nicely. I can't wait for some more progress.

Karl

Karl,

Thank you also, more progress is on the way.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I added two 12 x 12s to the top side of the main gabled roof. I turned it on the side and placed a weight on it to dry overnight. The weight keeps the walls flat while drying as opposed to a mini-clamp.

I've had a building or two, where the gable dried at a slight angle from the weight of the clamp hanging off to the side.

Continued -
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then painted some 6X6s Aged Concrete and glued them to the bottom of the building and sub assemblies. This gives me a base to get the scenery next to the structure without gluing the scenery to the bottom of the walls.

More in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then cut a rear gabled end for the dormer. I used the dormer and traced the front on a spare piece of siding.

The rear piece is to wide to fit in the rear. I needed to trim the sides to fit between the walls. I used a spare piece of siding and drew a line on each side of the end piece. I cut the extra siding off using the pencil line as a guide.

The end piece was glued in place.

More in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I then moved to the roof for the dormer and main roof section. I had no idea how to cut this so I used the "tried and true" method of "trial and error".

I cut the roof panel back flush to the wall.

Cut and fit, cut and fit and cut and fit. No this doesn't work.

Continued in a few.
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com