The Atlantic and Southern Build, Part 1

Started by ACL1504, December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ACL1504

Well, I started the demo thread and have some stuff completed on the new layout. No trackwork but a large workbench area and crew lounge. When I figure out how to do the large photos I'll post them.

Also, I'll wait until the forum guys set the threads up so we can link our photos to the correct sentence instead of having all the photos  show up at the bottom of the post.

Tom
:)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

I'll be keeping an eye on this one too, to make sure you stay out of trouble... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Erieman

Quote from: ACL1504 on December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM
Well, I started the demo thread and have some stuff completed on the new layout. No trackwork but a large workbench area and crew lounge. When I figure out how to do the large photos I'll post them.

Also, I'll wait until the forum guys set the threads up so we can link our photos to the correct sentence instead of having all the photos  show up at the bottom of the post.

Tom

Tom,

I will be sending you some  more layout concepts based on you and Greg's recent layout drawing. Lot's of run time on these ideas. If I don't talk to you before Wednesday, have a very Merry Christmas.

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

Quote from: erieman on December 21, 2013, 04:36:05 PM
Quote from: ACL1504 on December 21, 2013, 09:23:16 AM

Tom

Tom,

I will be sending you some  more layout concepts based on you and Greg's recent layout drawing. Lot's of run time on these ideas. If I don't talk to you before Wednesday, have a very Merry Christmas.

Frank / Erieman

Frank,

I appreciate your help with the ideas. I can't wait to get going on this and I have plenty of photos to share on the start. I'm still in the dark on how to make the pictures larger and I'm also waiting for the Admin. to fix it so we can place the pictures where needed.

Tom
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Erieman

Tom,

I guess I should have posted my comment here instead of the other thread. Anyway, I got the drawing that Greg put together. i have a few comments and concerns and will spend some time drawing and discussing my ideas with John during his visit. Have a wonderful and Merry holiday. we will be getting together with the grandkids later today. More food and dessert  :) :) :). Everybody knows i like dessert!

Frank / Erieman

ACL1504

Frank,

I don't know how I missed your post. Oh yea, I was counting all my Christmas train money and stuffing my face with eggnog pie! I even had a little liquid eggnog!

Thanks for stopping by and I hope Santa was good to you as well!

Tom
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

bruce.oberleitner

Uncle Tommy,
I still don't think you have near enough "Diet Pepsi" on hand to build a new railroad!  Enough said!

:) :) :)

gnatshop

I'm not sure he even has enough Diet Pepsi on hand to finish
Pam's painting requirements!

Model railroads are easy - a wife's painting requirements, Not so easy!
Of course, he had to re-do everything after he painted a steam locomotive on their bedroom wall!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

bruce.oberleitner

Uncle Tommy,
I think before you start all these "projects" you should first put in a pipeline to your local "Diet Pepsi" bottling plant.  That way you can be assured that you will never run out of the "juice" at a critical time during a project. 

Hehe

;D ;D ;D

ACL1504

Quote from: gnatshop on February 09, 2014, 11:56:10 PM
I'm not sure he even has enough Diet Pepsi on hand to finish
Pam's painting requirements!

Model railroads are easy - a wife's painting requirements, Not so easy!
Of course, he had to re-do everything after he painted a steam locomotive on their bedroom wall!   ;D ;D ;D ;D

Gman,

I'm sorry for not responding earlier to your post. I didn't see it and I was knee deep in 1:1 stuff as Frank can tell you. Not that he was here but we spoke often on the phone.

HMMM, a loco on the wall. What a great idea and some say you are crazy!

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Quote from: bruce.oberleitner on February 14, 2014, 11:06:30 AM
Uncle Tommy,
I think before you start all these "projects" you should first put in a pipeline to your local "Diet Pepsi" bottling plant.  That way you can be assured that you will never run out of the "juice" at a critical time during a project. 

Hehe

;D ;D ;D

Cousin Brucie,

I've had so much Diet Pepsi during this 1:1 stuff and the layout removal that my Baby Blue Eyes are now Diet Pepsi Brown!  HA and LOL, Where is my "laughing my A-- off guy" icon Jimmy had on the other forum?

I think it's time for another phone call. I'll give you a call in a few days.

Tom ;D
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

Instead of starting yet another thread on the new layout build I thought I'd just add it here. I'll be posting my comments from the other thread here without the comments of members who posted their comments and thoughts on the new layout. They are more than welcome to do so here. Several of the following comments of mine are verbatim and others are paraphrased.

I'll comment on photos/pictures where necessary. Let me say here a hearty "Thank You" to all those that may be following me in this adventure.

FROM THE OTHER FORUM:

I'm starting this thread to document for my forum members my new layout build. I've found in the past, posting something I'm doing keeps me focused and interested in sharing what I've been doing.

As many of you know, I've been at the other layout for about 4-5 years now and decided to make a drastic change by going to a three level shelf style layout. I say shelf style as the layout will be no wider than 27" from back to front. Of course the helix and roundhouse will be wider.

There were two priorities I was set on when I decided to change the layout. I needed a larger, more user friendly work area and I wanted a mini-crew lounge.

Old work area -

New work area!

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

More new work area photos.

Continued in a few.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ACL1504

I was discussing the new layout with my good friend Frank, Erieman, Baker and he said he had a few ideas for me to look at and consider. The first drawing he sent me was a museum style where it is a total walk around.

Frank uses a small semi-helix in a mushroom style to get from one level to the other. Here is a photo of that helix on Frank's layout.

Here is onother concept drawing Frank sent me.

More tomorrow evening.

Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

S&S RR

Tom

Great thread - It will be very interesting to see how your design develops.  I hope you have a place near by that you can run trains while you design and build the new layout.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad