Build 004: FSM 160 Logging Repair Shed

Started by PainTrain, December 15, 2019, 01:33:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PainTrain

I wanted to step my game up a bit with a larger kit so I'm breaking out this ebay find.  The Fine Scale Miniatures Logging Repair shed.  This will be my 4th kit, but first diorama. 

I want to accomplish a few things with this build:
1.  Build and decorate a diorama base
2.  Add interior and exterior lighting
3.  Hand lay track
4.  Learn how to paint and weather metal castings

Pretty ambitious but I'm looking forward to it.  I'll be using updated tricks outlined in some of my sierra west kits by Brett Gallant in regards to weathering the strip wood, and dealing with the castings. 

Here we go

GPdemayo

I'll be looking in.....have fun with the hand laid track - you'll love the results.  :)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

darrylhuffman

I built this kit decades ago when it first came out.

It's a great kit and should make a great diorama.

I don't know what you are using as a diorama base but I now use only the 1 inch thick foam from Home Depot or Lowes.  The blue stuff or the pink stuff.

If this is to be a freestanding diorama that will not be used on a layout, you may want to make the base 2 inches thick and have it drop off drastically on one corner.

I saw a version which did that on the lower left hand corner of the photo on the box.  That outhouse was sort of built to extend over the drop off so they did not need to dig a cesspool under the outhouse.  All the waste just dropped down onto the area below.  It made for an interesting scene.

One big advantage of the blue foam is that you can make the diorama larger to start with and cut it down to a smaller size later if you need to do so.

If you go to the Bar Mills Models website and look at their videos where they have built a model into a diorama for trade shows, you can get some good ideas.

At the time this kit was made the blue foam sheets were not available, or at least I did not know about them.

They are so much better than plywood and they never warp and are always light weight.  Plus you can plant trees on the blue foam easily.

Have fun and I will be following along to see your progress.

Darryl
Darryl Huffman
darrylhuffman@gmail.com

You can follow my blog here:

http://ghosttownmodels.blogspot.com

You can find my Youtube Channel of Model Building Videos Here:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC1J2Ord8fgo3yR6veiI7b_g/videos

Opa George

I'll be following along. Interesting looking kit.
The FSM kits have very complete and helpful instructions. I think you'll do a great job. 
Hand laying track takes time, but I found it tremendously satisfying work, and the results can be fantastic.  I need to do some more of it on my current layout.
With regard to painting the castings--George Sellios recommends specific colors and brands of paint, which are no longer available.  Give all the castings a good washing, let dry, then a coat of primer.  Once primed and dry, you should get good results from just about any enamels or acrylics.
--George

deemery

A good choice for spray primer is the khaki/tan "camouflage" color.  That's reasonably close to the "Driftwood" Floquil stain and "Earth" Floquil paint color.
https://www.rustoleum.com/product-catalog/consumer-brands/specialty/camouflage-spray/

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

PainTrain

Thanks for all the advice and ideas so far. 

I took some time to read over the instructions last night, and the assembly looks pretty straight forward.  Since the kit seems a little short, I ordered some extra lumber to lengthen the front of the shop about a half length.  Hopefully I'll have it all in this weekend so I can begin treating the wood along with the glass sheet so I can start on the first template after the frame lumber painting is done.

NEMMRRC

You'll love the FSM kits.

Buy you a jig from Fast Tracks for hand laying track. It makes it soooooo easy and lots of fun. Their website has all you need to get started.
https://www.handlaidtrack.com

Jaime

PainTrain

Better late than never:

Got bogged down looking for a new job so this got put on the back burner.

PainTrain

postalkarl

Hey Pain train:

I'm following along. Looking good so far.

Karl

Opa George

Beautiful wood graining and coloring on that scale lumber.   Nice job.
--Opa George

ACL1504

I agree with George, very nicely weathered boards.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PainTrain

Thanks.  I was really happy with the way they turned out.  I filled a mug with about half water then added about 5 drops of black acrylic paint and painted both sides.  I repeated the process with tan but only applied to one side for a lighter interior appearance.  Took about a day to dry for each application.

jerryrbeach

Thanks for explaining how you got the really nice stain on your wood.  Construction is looking good so far.
Jerry

tom.boyd.125

Nice job staining the wood. It's a great craftsman kit to start with.
Tommy
Tom Boyd in NE Minnesota
tommytrains22@yahoo.com