Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

And that's the truth of the matter.

Tom 8)
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Judge

Dave - Thanks for the link to the Indianapolis Whitecastle fiasco.  It is proof that judges as a group would rather eat cheap burgers than enjoy the calming atmosphere of a "Gentleman's Club." 

Reminds me of an incident that occurred at a Circuit Court Conference here in Florida many years ago.  The conference is a week long affair that takes place at one of the many fancy resorts in Florida.  The week is devoted to judicial education and it is an opportunity for the more than 500 Circuit Judges in Florida to get to know each other.  (When I attended my first Conference in 1987, one of the judges from Tampa kind of took me around and and introduced me to other judges during one of the cocktail parties.  He said, "You should meet as many of your fellow judges as possible.  There is not a one of them from whom you cannot learn something, even if it is a bad example.")
    Back to my story...  At this particular conference one of our attractive new female judges attended a party given by the other judges in her circuit and it lasted until late in the evening.  Our new judge navigated back to her hotel room, stripped off her clothes, and passed out on her bed.  About 3:00 a.m she had to answer the call of nature and stumbled into her bathroom for relief.  On her way out of the bathroom she took a right instead of a left and walked into the hallway instead of the bedroom.  The door slammed behind her and there she was in her altogether locked out of her room. 
    Some of the judges attending the Conference discovered her and alerted the hotel staff, who let her back into her room. 
    Needless to say, the entire conference knew of the incident by breakfast the next morning.  One of the judges who discovered her naked in the hallway was asked why she didn't have her key with her.  He responded by saying "she didn't have any pockets." 
    Our heroine, by the way, did not last past the next election. 

GPdemayo

It does seem that all large groups have a jerk like Dyer who makes life for all those around him a chore. To bad you can't take unpleasant types out and tie them down to the tracks right before the Limited comes roaring thru.  :)

But, I suppose there are laws about doing that sort of thing and it wouldn't be a good thing to have to appear before Judge Bill for breaking that law.  :o
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

Judge

Greg - It might be grounds for leniency.  Although I would never say that out loud.  Judges rarely get in trouble if they keep their mouths shut. 

postalkarl

Hey judge:

Great pic but sorry you had a wreck.

Karl

GPdemayo

Quote from: Judge on July 07, 2019, 02:51:40 PM
Greg - It might be grounds for leniency.  Although I would never say that out loud.  Judges rarely get in trouble if they keep their mouths shut.

My ole' granddad always used to give that sage advice and it probably is a good idea for the rest of us not in the judiciary..... ;D
Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL

Judge

Saturday Report July 13, 2019

The Board of Directors met promptly at 0830 hours and discussed the current situation over Coke and Diet Pepsi.  It was reported that the Tahope City Council has approved the construction of a beer joint at the outskirts of the city near the citrus processing plant.  More about that another day.  Additionally, work is beginning on the bridge over the Tahope River to allow motor vehicle traffic to cross over into downtown Tahope. 

The mixed train that is the subject of this week's story made a run from Sanlando yard up to Summit.  It is amazing how long it takes to assemble a train and get it up the Ovalix and back to Sanlando.  Barrels of fun! 

After the freight train run we went to lunch at Smokey Bones.  The Babe jointed us for tea.

After lunch we made the George Washington go through its paces on Summit level. 

All-in-all a very successful and fun day.  No rain here, at least not yet.

Today's story is inspired by Lucius Bebee's famous book "Mixed Train Daily."  The A&S has a weekly mixed train.  What else is there to say?

MIXED TRAIN WEEKLY

A&S local mixed freight number 3 runs once a week.  The freight originates in the Sanlando yard and makes its way to Piney Woods, where it picks up a long string of pulpwood cars.  Then it is on to Tahope, where it sets out and picks up freight cars and picks up the only passenger car owned by the A&S, a heavy weight Pullman Solarium. The next move is up the 1% grade of the Ovalix all the way to Summit, where freight cars are picked up and set out at the various industries located there.  Passengers load and unload at the station at Summit.  The freight cars are broken up at the yard at Summit and await reassembly for their next destination.  Then the train returns to The Midlands where it spots the Pullman at its place in Tahope and then returns to the Sanlando Yard.
    Usually, Number 3 is powered by a GP7, but steam is still available for regular use on the A&S and today's power is a vintage ACL P3 Pacific, number 451, a 1914 Baldwin product that is hand fired.
    The trainmaster  worried that Old 451 would not make it up the grade of the Ovalix with so heavy a train so he scheduled number 3 ahead of regular freight number 128, with the intention of allowing 128's diesels to act as a helper, if necessary. 
    The conductor, Ralph Tinker, was pleased to see that Randy Bridgeman had drawn the engineer's job  on this trip.  Bridgeman was an experienced steam man and was very familiar with the abilities and quirks of Old 451.  The head shack, Roosevelt Green, was instructed that if Old 451 slowed to a crawl on the grade, he was to walk back down the Ovalix and flag number 128 to warn the crew to slow down and be ready for helper service. 
    Bridgeman backed into his train thirty minutes early, and after the angle cocks were connected, he waited for the air brakes  to be pressurized.  At departure time, the aspect on the signal called for a high ball and Bridgeman opened the throttle so Old 451 could ease out of the yard onto the mainline.  She passed Eaton's Curve and crossed the Great Divide, heading towards Piney Woods.  The crew picked up a long string of pulpwood cars and high balled it towards the Ovalix.  Bridgeman knew he had to be moving at least at 45 mph in order to make it up the grade to Summit and he didn't have far to go.  The fireman shoveled more coal on the fire and Old 451 strutted her stuff, spewing smoke and cinders everywhere.  By the time she reached the Ovalix, Old 451 was making 47 mph.  She was half way to Summit before she began to slow. 
    Meanwhile, the engineer on number 128 stopped his train at the bottom of the grade and asked his flagman, Walter Jackson, to walk forward, past the nose of the diesel, and listen to see if he could hear any of 451's stack talk.  When the flagman returned, he climbed back into the cab of the F3 and exclaimed, " Ain't no need to worry about that little old A&S hog.  She's up the Ovalix and headin' to Summit singin' "Home Sweet Home."
    Just another day on the A&S.

Past Piney Woods and on to the Ovalix

Commin' Atcha!

Old 451

Pulpwood cars

Pullman Observation Solarum

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

ACL1504

And, that's just how the day went. When a loco on the A&S RR is singing "Home Sweet Home", all is well with the world.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

ReadingBob

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

Dennis Bourey

Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

Judge

Bob, Curt, Dennis, Greg, & Carl - Thank you very much for your kind comments.  As you can imagine, I have a lot of fun with this Saturday Report and I appreciate your encouragement.

Next Saturday I am going to start introducing some new citizens of Tahope and will probably revisit a few we already know. 

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
Longwood, FL