I'm building a layout

Started by NEMMRRC, January 01, 2020, 07:50:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NEMMRRC

I'm building a layout..... finally.

Over the years many have asked me if I had a layout or if I was going to build a layout. Well, now I am.

A little over a year ago we bought a new house. This new house comes with plenty of room for a layout. Actually, there are two rooms for a layout. One is ready to go and the second needs a lot of work. So, I will start building my layout in the ready-to-build area and eventually move it to the official built-to-order layout room.

This is the basement at the new house:

It is roughly 40' x 50'. What you see above is what we got when we bough the house.

This is going to be the official train room one day, an unfinished attic measuring roughly 40' x 25':

This is what the basement looks like today:

I've marked the layout area with a blue painter's tape border. That area is roughly 25' x 25'. I wish those columns weren't there  ;D

I drive a 2003 1500 Chevy Siverado 4x4 pick up with a single cab and long bed. I can easily fit a 4' x8' sheet of plywood with room to spare in the bed of the Chevy. In the photo above, I have the Silverado parked right up against the garage door. There are roughly 6' between the camera and the border of the layout.

This is what I have in mind for my layout:

• HO scale
  • Modular construction
  • Continuously running trains
  • A logging railroad (no specific prototype)
  • Set no earlier than 1935
  • Needs to start of with DC control and capable of converting to DCC
  • No multiple decks. No helixes. Reasonable grades are acceptable for dramatic effect.
  • Must have scenery resembling the Smoky Mountains of East TN or somewhere in Appalachia
  • Should include at least one large urban area

I have no name for my railroad at this time.
I have no track plan at the moment. I want to learn to use track planning software. That software needs to run on a Mac.
I built a module once for an Expo contest (https://www.kitforums.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=6968). For now, I may begin with that as starting point for the modules.
The lumber in the photo was left behind by the previous homeowner. There are some really nice 2x4 studs in that pile. I'll be sure to use them.
I have been considering commercial benchwork like the one from Mianne (http://miannebenchwork.com), but it is hard to spend that much on benchwork when one can do it for less.
I still have not decided if I want to go with L girder or open grid for my modules. I am leaning to open grid and just putting some of the pink/blue foam on top.

Enough rambling for now.

More as it develops.

Jaime

p/s I considered first building a portable On30 layout of two or three modules but that would force me to buy an enclosed trailer to haul it around in and well, that's money I can spend on other stuff.

S&S RR

Great news Jaime! You can make both areas work by using moveable modular sections. I recommend you make the first module and move it between your two locations to make sure you can fit it through the tight spots.

I'm using TurboCad on my MacBook for all of my track planning. I do everything in the 2D mode.

I can't wait to follow your progress, good luck.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

PRR Modeler

Congratulations,  building a layout is exciting.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

GPdemayo

I remember seeing pictures you posted of the module on the "other forum", it will make a great start for the new layout. Looking forward to seeing your empire grow Jaime.....

I planned the St.L&D with a modular base for the layout to sit on and made each section small enough to fit thru typical openings if/when moved.

The sections were bolted together and provisions made for the wiring to be easily detached for moving. 

Good luck and have fun..... :) 
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

S&S RR

Jaime

The attic space reminds me of the space that Gil Freitag has for his layout.  I know we both have some great reference pictures.  Let me know if you want mine.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

Bruce Oberleitner

Awesome!  Can't wait to see you get some benchwork up for the new project.

deemery

Great space!  Spend some time making it comfortable, even if it's not your final layout room.  In particular, I'd suggest getting those foam tiles (Harbor Freight) to put over the concrete, and maybe build some partitions so you can separate the train area from the garage with plastic sheeting (helps keep the dust/dirt down.)

Also consider some wiring projects, in particular for good working and layout light.  Make sure everything (lighting AND workbench) can be shut off from a switch where you leave the room to go back to the rest of the house.

dave
Modeling the Northeast in the 1890s - because the little voices told me to

ACL1504

Jaime,

I'm in on this one as well.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

Jerry

Well hell that's big enough to put real trains in!!!

I will follow along.  Can't wait for the start up.

I know you'll do a fine job Jaime.  Great way to start a new year.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Raymo

A man with a plan! Looks like a great space and you'll be happy to make it modular.

EricQuebec

ReadingBob

What great news!  I'll be following along as well.  I have to admit I sure am jealous of folks that basements and usable attic space!  ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

tooStupid

Jamie,

You are a braver man then me. That is a lifetime of work for even the youngest of us.

NEMMRRC

Quote from: ReadingBob on January 01, 2020, 02:36:57 PM
What great news!  I'll be following along as well.  I have to admit I sure am jealous of folks that basements and usable attic space!  ;D
Along with the basement and attic comes 1.7 acres of lawn and woods. Let's just say I need to either spend an average of 2 hours per week doing yard work or pay someone the equivalent of several large craftsman kits per year to do that for me  :o

It sure is nice to finally have the space though.I have lots of "storage space" for built-up dioramas  ;D  lol.

Jaime

NEMMRRC

Quote from: JusticeCity on January 01, 2020, 03:38:36 PM
Jamie,

You are a braver man then me. That is a lifetime of work for even the youngest of us.
It will keep me busy for sure. Maybe even keep me young for a while  8)

Jaime