PRR Bellevue Sub Build

Started by PRR Modeler, June 07, 2020, 02:32:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

PRR Modeler

Good Afternoon,

Thank you Karl for following and your kind words.

The "bushes" came in today so I finished around the rock face (after photo) and I have about 18 inches to do tomorrow. After that I think I'll either start on more track work (lower left) or maybe paint the upper rails. I use a flat latex called rusty rails (Lowes) applied by micro brush. Today I mainly ran my 2-8-8-2 to make sure scenery wasn't a issue. I ran it in 4 directions without issues. I also ran the TT parking that locomotive and the 2-6-6-2.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

Turntable & roundhouse looks great.

Karl

ACL1504

Curt,

I've been lurking as Jim's stuff has kept me very busy. The progress is looking very Pennsylvania like. Very nicely done.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

GPdemayo

Gotta love those steamers.....looks great on the turntable.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Karl, Tom, and Greg for following and commenting.

Greg- You have no idea how great I feel about large steamers having no issues. On the last layout the TT/RH track work was so bad I had issues with 4 wheeled diesels derailing.

Today I finished up what I could with the bushes and started laying out the mainline (far right track) and the 2 Interchange tracks that bend around the center peninsula all the way to the right side of the layout. Tomorrow I'll start painting the upper track. I just wanted to work on something that didn't require a step stool :o.

The T/O's are PECO #5 Insulfrogs recovered from the last layout. I discovered yesterday by laying a PECO #5 on top of a ME #6 the physical track geometries are the same. Obviously the #6 was longer in length on both ends but that surprised me.

Tomorrow is 4 months since I started constructing the benchwork.

I've been mentally arguing with myself about ballasting the upper track especially both curve areas and the track in between them. I'd like to test them more but am afraid it's going to be really hard to get to them after I put in the lower track.
Curt Webb

Jerry

Curt looks wonderful.  Great work.  A pleasure to follow along!

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln

Judge

Way to go, Curt!  Looking good! 

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Thank you Jerry and the Judge for your kind words and following along.

Spent about 4 hours working on the layout today getting the area for the ME viaduct bridge ready. I test fit the bridge this afternoon and had to trim the brick parts that the bridge shoes sit on. I'm not sure why because they worked fine on the last layout. I also was glad to note that the footers I need to make tomorrow are actually not that tall to support the bridge bents.

Tomorrows goal is mounting the bridge. The opening is right at 30".
Curt Webb

postalkarl

Hey Curt:

the scenery looks great. Keep posting Pics.

Karl

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Karl thank you for your kind words and following.

Today was a bit frustrating. More on that later. I got the bridge in, powered and tested with the 2-8-8-2. It took about 3 hours to get it completed. The footers are fascia boards cut to 3/4" x 2 1/2" and painted with MM Aged Concrete. The bridge is a ME 210' Steel Viaduct.

I noticed/realized that on the right hand back curve where the rock face comes down to track level the 2-8-8-2 was sticking against it about 50% of the time. I ended up pulling it off, cutting it down and reattaching the upper portion in it's original location then filled around it with bushes. I will test it tomorrow, but it should be fine now.

The first photo was the original rockface setup and the second is how it is now.
Curt Webb

ACL1504

Curt,

Great progress on the layout, Bellevue Sub build. I like the smaller trestle,  nice job.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Tom thank you for your kind words and following.

Since the last post I put in the right hand risers (descending), plaster clothed them, painted them and finally glued the rock faces on. Yesterday I did some mock up planning for the private coal trestle. Next step is "planting" the bushes.
Curt Webb

PRR Modeler

Afternoon All,

Since the last post I "planted" 6 bags of WS clump foliage. I think I have 1 more day of stuff to do then the right side upper scenery will be complete. :) I did paint and install the 2 pieces of fascia that go to the right loop around. It's mounted higher than normal because of the raised track elevation.

The bare corner in the photo that is surrounded by bushes is where I will put down ground cover and my hobo scene goes. My wife asks frequently about it. ???
Curt Webb

Dennis Bourey

Very well done Curt....Dennis
Dennis Bourey
dpbourey@comcast.net

Lake's Region RR
(Happy Modeling)

GPdemayo

That sure is a heap of bushes Curt.....looking good.  8)
Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL