JL Innovative Design Kit #311 McLEOD SUPER SERVICE

Started by ReadingBob, July 10, 2020, 07:43:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReadingBob

Here's the next kit I'm building.  This one is for PaulS.   :)  My plan, at the moment, is for it represent a relatively well maintained structure.  Just a little dirty and weathered so it doesn't look like it's just been built and painted.  Paul also included some new signs so the business will be named "Rivers Super Service".  I'll be keeping the Red and White paint scheme as shown on the box.

This is my first foray into building a kit from JL Innovative Design.  I have one of there's somewhere in my stash, an Ice Cream Parlor I think, but I've never built one.  Let's see what's in the box.  First there are some nicely package walls, castings and a bundle of strip wood.

Lot's of signs.  Some of these are the signs Paul slipped into the box.  But nice signs.

More signs and rolled roofing material.

The inside of the instructions shows the structure from all sides and identifies the components.

The front page of the instructions.

And the back page.

More in a moment... ;)
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

There's a fine line between Hobby and Mental Illness.

PaulS

Sounds like a great approach to this one Bob !!   And you know that I will be following along ...

Enjoy the process and thanks again for your contribution to the Atlantic & White Mountain Railway !

All the best,
--Paul
Modeling the Atlantic & White Mtn Railway

ReadingBob

I haven't gotten very far on this one yet.  I've read the instructions a few times.  I guess they haven't been updated in quite some time.  They mention "Window and door openings need to be trimmed out of their pre-cut wall sections.  Many of these trimmings are near the edge of walls.  We recommend a small piece of masking tape across the wood grain to prevent splitting."  Not necessary.  The openings are laser cut now and nothing needed to be trimmed.   :)

Getting started.  As usual, when I dive into a new kit it's usually a good time to put a new blade in the X-Acto handle and break out a new single edge razor blade and dispose of the old ones.  I started with the plastic castings.

I removed the windows and doors from their sprues using a flush cutting sprue cutter.  Some modelers prefer to paint them while they're still attached to the sprues so the sprue gives them a way to handle them during painting.  I prefer to remove them first.  There's no wrong way when it comes to this.  I clean up any flash with an emery board or by gently scraping the X-Acto blade along the edge.

The metal castings (which are nicely done in this kit) I clean up with a file or, if there happens to be a larger chunk or sprue piece attached, and old pair of rail nippers relegated to my work bench.

And this is exactly where I'm at right now.  Figuring out what's what and what goes where.   ???  I was a bit surprised to see the kit didn't include cardboard roof cards until I figured out the wood pieces at the bottom of the picture are the roof cards.

I haven't trimmed the windows yet.  The instructions state "File the lower extending window sill on both sides on six of the eight twelve pane windows and the main door."  I haven't done that yet.  I can see where one side of the sill needs to be filed so the window will fit flush with the window next to it when two are side by side but I don't think I'm going to do both sides.

My next step will be to decide what gets airbrushed and then to prime the components.  The front wall and two of the side walls that make up the little office area are smooth (not clapboard) and I may not want to put bracing inside because it will likely be visible so I'm thinking of airbrushing them to reduce the risk of warping.  Either way, next up will be the airbrushing and I'm not sure when I'll get to that.  That's something I do out in my garage and have to plan around the weather down here.  ;)

Thanks for following along on my new adventure!

Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

ReadingBob

Quote from: PaulS on July 10, 2020, 07:53:26 AM
Sounds like a great approach to this one Bob !!   And you know that I will be following along ...

Enjoy the process and thanks again for your contribution to the Atlantic & White Mountain Railway !

All the best,
--Paul

Thanks for giving me the opportunity to contribute to the Atlantic and White Mountain Railway Paul!  I prefer seeing something I build put to good use vs. trying to find an open space on a shelf in my garage to stash it away.   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

Zephyrus52246

I built this ten years ago, and don't remember any problems with it (but it WAS ten years ago).   ;D  Alas, the build is on the old forum and now lost to antiquity.

Jeff

ReadingBob

Quote from: Zephyrus52246 on July 10, 2020, 08:28:54 AM
I built this ten years ago, and don't remember any problems with it (but it WAS ten years ago).   ;D  Alas, the build is on the old forum and now lost to antiquity.

Jeff

That looks great Jeff.  Thanks for sharing the picture.  I see a few details that didn't come with the kit.  You must have gotten an expansion pack for it.   ;D   ;D
Bob Butts
robertbutts1@att.net

GPdemayo

Gregory P. DeMayo
General Construction Superintendent Emeritus
St. Louis & Denver Railroad
Longwood, FL

ACL1504

Bob,

Great start on this one. I have a few JL kits in the stash. I'm sure this will be a real beaut and Paul will be very pleased.

Tom ;D
"If we are to guard against ignorance and remain free, it is the responsibility of every American to be informed."
Thomas Jefferson

Tom Langford
telsr1@aol.com

WigWag Workshop

Oh Cool! I'm on board, I have a few of their kits in my shopping cart, including this one.

-Steven
A BIG Thanks to all the folks who share their knowledge, and for giving me the inspiration to push the limits in this great hobby!

postalkarl

Hey Bob:

Looking good so far. I'm along for the ride.

Karl

Mark Dalrymple

Looking good, Bob.

I have the ice cream parlor tucked away to build one day too.  I believe I have redesigned the roof.

Cheers, Mark.

madharry

Nice start Bob. I built this one about 20 years ago. I love JL kits. They are relatively cheap and simple to build. Last count I have built 34 of hem.
Keep shunting.
Mike

cuse

that's a neat looking kit...I'll be watching. It must be satisfying to see your excellent builds featured on so many great layouts.

John

PRR Modeler

I'll be following Bob. I have this bubble wrapped in a box currently.  I acquired it from someone else layout already built.
Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

Jerry

Looks very interesting Bob.

Looking forward to following along.

Jerry
"And in the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years." A. Lincoln