Superior & Seattle Railroad Build (Volume 3) Started 7/27/19

Started by S&S RR, July 27, 2019, 08:44:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

S&S RR

Quote from: bparrish on September 09, 2020, 03:48:14 PM
John....

Great stuff.........  The stone work is really cool.

Pats or patties have so many localized names. 

Meadow muffins.......... cow flops are a common name here in downtown Idaho. 

In the winter they are called prairie steamers when they are really fresh.  For some very visible reasons.

They were cow pies in northern Illinois where I grew up.

Again.......... great modeling.

see ya
Bob

Bob 

Thank you for following along and the encouragement. Yes, cow pies have taken on a number names over the years. It does seem to vary with the region of the country and the world. I will post some pictures with the LED lights on and the floor/ceiling installed later, tonight.
John Siekirk
Superior & Seattle Railroad

S&S RR

A few pictures of the barn interior with the ceiling/floor attached and the LED's lighting things up.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

John Siekirk

S&S RR

As promised, here are a few pictures that describe the process I used to hook up the LED lights. In the first picture you can see the lights that hang from the ceiling.  The wires are run to power strips that are in the adjacent basement room that serves as the foundation for the barn addition.

In this picture you can see the power strips one for + and one for (-).  The power strips are fed with larger wires that will be attached to a control panel underneath the layout.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

Finally, for tonight, here is the main barn floor being glued in place.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

You may have noticed in some of the earlier pictures that the wall that holds the stanchions on the right side was leaning - I squared it up during the final gluing process. One of the support braces was hitting it as the roof was set on and pushing it over. A little trimming with a number 11 and the floor fit great.
John Siekirk

bparrish

John....

I have never milked a cow but we kept goats for nearly 30 years when we were out in the country west of Boise.   They were much more agreeable than cows.  Cows are monumentally stupid.  Goats are smart, conniving and completely self serving.  They knew that there was grain waiting in the feeder box and they would gleefully allow you do most anything to them to get to that grain.  They seldom kicked and would nudge you from time to time to show affection and thanks.

We raised out kids on goat's milk and they didn't end up too awful bad.  They have never used their one phone call from jail ! ! ! !

This is a great model you are constructing.

thanx
Bob
Did you ever notice how many towns are named after their water towers ! ?

S&S RR

Bob

Thank you for following along and the encouraging words.  I have never been around goats so I will take your word for it on their intelligence. I do know that every cow in my Grandparents barn had their own stall and always went to it when you let them in the barn. The hay in the stall and wanting to be milked were definite incentives.
John Siekirk

S&S RR

Today, before I got started on building the interior wall structure for the barn I took a lights out only LED lighting picture of the basement of the barn. Enough lighting to be realistic? I don't want it to look like a barn in Vegas.

John Siekirk

S&S RR

I'm also working on the G. Wilikers build - I have the main building ready for the roofing and the warehouse building ready for the roof card. I also have the baseboard - gator board in this case - all cut and ready for the sections of the building to be glued down.

John Siekirk

PRR Modeler

Curt Webb
The Late Great Pennsylvania Railroad
Freelanced PRR Bellevue Subdivision

S&S RR

John Siekirk